1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Did You Choose Your Doctor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by quicksplash, Mar 31, 2014.

1. quicksplash

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, the health insurance card came in and I can go pick a doctor. But who? and how to decide?
    They give me a list, but there's so many choices. They have the doctor name, location, along with a photo and little blurb.

I've never done this before, and going to the doctor on my own is a bit of an intimidating thought... but I'm gonna do it yo. oh boy... eek.

I asked my friend about it, and she said to pick the best looking one... umm.. yeah, maybe not the best idea. but honestly, I'm ... shrug. I dont even know.

How do you pick your doctor? How was the first time? anything I should know about in particular?

oh, this is for a primary care physician, if it matters.

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My parents are both doctors so they just sent me to their friends when I needed anything so I might not be of much help :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but i think you could just choose one at random, it doesn't really matter. When you go to them, see if you're ok with the way they talk to you and things.

3. KazTastic

I just picked the one closest to my house. I thought that's what everyone did.

4. apostrophied

Pick the one who's blurb sounds the best? If you have certain things that you are particularly adamant about (like you want to a doctor who uses the "wait-and-see" approach vs. prescribing you a pill for every little thing), I suppose you could call and ask them about their philosophy. Actually, scratch that, you should always call them first. I once picked a dentists just because he was down my street but he turned out to be a jerk, so I had to get another one. But the insurance is unlikely to let you switch practitioners very often, so you need to pick one that you can live with for a couple of years.

As for me, my first doctor was the one who was there for my birth. She's okay, but I don't particularly love her; she's very hands-off about everything, to the point where you have to wonder if she'd let you almost die before doing something lol. The one I see now was assigned to me by my school because... I'm not sure, actually, I guess the nurse thought she was best available and since I had heart issues, they didn't want to mess around? She's okay, but I feel she's a bit more on the interventionist side, but I can't swear.

5. Foxface

I am Veterans care so I had my doc chosen for me