1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most "structurally sound/durable" clothing for your money?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Browncoat, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All right, I'm becoming considerably more stingy financially, lately.

Given this, I'm curious as to what any given person might know about how to balance more durable clothing with its cost?

For example most of my t-shirts start getting holes in them after a year or two of wearing them, and I have yet to get a pair of jeans to last more than 6 months without breaking on me in bad places (and I have consequently have gone from wearing more along the lines of $50-$70 pairs to cheap $10 Kmart/Walmart types).

For someone who is (completely) clueless with clothing, is there a particular type of clothing that I should be looking for? Obviously if it could be guaranteed to last a good while without wearing down I'd be willing to pay more. Or should I just buy the cheapest possible stuff (assuming I'm being that stingy) and replace it more quickly?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a saying: "I am not rich enough to buy cheap stuff".

If you figure out the cost of buying cheap, you would be amazed. Don't just look at the price, figure in the cost of going to the store more often because the crap doesn't last, or the cost of repairs, or the environmental cost of cheap, or the cheap labour that went into making the crappy clothes in the first place.

There is nothing like a good-quality piece of clothing, more expensive, yes, the price is higher, but the overall cost is lower.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I found a discount site for clothing and all other stuff but I hadn't tried it yet I'm stingy with my money as well most of it goes to bills and a few other fun things but I'm always saving .

4. Tarok

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most durable and cheap suit you can wear is nothing at all. More resistant than most clothes, free, extremely comfortable and you don't have to iron it! You can wear it anywhere!
    Even if it breaks, it repairs itself, unless the damage is too high! Can't ask for better clothing.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you don't mind getting arrested, this is where your argument falls apart.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Avoid H&M. That stuff is so cheaply made/thin, it falls apart after the first wash. Another place that costs a fortune, but has very low quality is Urban Outfitters. Avoid, avoid, avoid! Not to mention, Urban Outfitters actually donated $ to the campaign of Rick Santorum.

I tend to buy as much as I can at thrift stores and vintage clothing stores...you can find cooler stuff, and it's almost always less.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't doubt that, I'm just not sure where to go for it.

I wish. :lol:

Yeah, I should probably peruse some thrift stores. Never even heard of H&M, but rest assured I'll avoid it, lol.

8. Cheap and durable clothing? It's called fur.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Military surplus stores. I got a belt there literally ten years ago that I've worn and beat to hell almost every day, and it's still going strong as the day I got it. Adjustable to any size and can be cut to fit if it's too big:

[​IMG]

They also have rip-stop BDU pants in either camo or solid colors, and for 20-40 dollars, they are meant to last through a war. Not very fashionable unless you like soldier-chic, but it's something hehe. They work best when paired with the thin brown t-shirts also sold there that are tougher than one would expect, and they breathe in hot weather like nobody's business.

#9 Argentwing, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014