1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A way to get privacy in zero privacy showers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BMC77, Apr 1, 2014.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just finished an on-line chat with a cousin who's in college. Like me, he hates things like gym showers. Like older cousin, like younger, I guess. This year, he got put in a dorm I'll call "Ivy". It's a special interest dorm for computer science types. Problem is, Ivy is old, and the bathrooms are zero privacy. But my cousin and his friends came up with a solution that, while complicated, apparently works well.

Here is a copy/paste of part our chat. Names are changed to protect privacy, of course:

Brian: Well, we knew we'd be in this hell hole, and Eric knew what those showers were like. Big room. No stalls, no curtains.

Me: That style was not uncommon. At least not in school locker rooms.

Brian: Yeah. I saw that in [high school], but no one used them. But here? Well, you gotta shower. Anyway we figured out a system. We got a guy in art to make us a bunch of helmets. When you put it on, it blocks your vision. So we can't see each other's dicks.

Me: How the hell do you get around if you can't see where you're going?

Brian: That's the real clever part. We do with electronics. Each helmet has a small radio transmitter. It sends out a unique signal. Those signals are picked up by antennas in the bathroom. Each guy's location can be pinpointed pretty exactly. Sort of like GPS. A computer in the bathroom processes the data, and it knows exactly where each helmet is located. It sends out that info by wi-fi. Each helmet has a small Android tablet right in front of your eyes. It gets the wi-fi signal, and shows you a current, real time map of where you are, where you are going, and allows you to avoid bumping into others.

Me: I see.

Brian: It works well. So far, zero problems. For a day or two, we'd just shower with board shorts on. Just in case something went wrong, and the helmet had to come off to see where you are. But the system hasn't failed yet! You'll have to try it when you come next week.

Me: I will.

I have to say: I think this is a rather complicated system. But I have admire the effort they put into it.

2. Yosia

I really admire the effort too!! But is it worth it instead of just simply building a few stalls? XD

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well the problem is...college rules probably would not allow any permanent changes to the bathroom.

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2014 at 02:25 PM ----------

Also keep in mind: we're talking a dorm full of computer geek types. Solutions like this appear to always be the first thing they think of. :lol:

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm...I have a low-tech solution...just don't look.

I cannot believe they are so afraid of seeing a penis that they would submit to this ridiculousness.

And how, pray, do they wash their faces and hair???

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A sink.

---------- Post added 1st Apr 2014 at 02:41 PM ----------

They aren't afraid of seeing a penis. They are embarrassed about being seen nude by others.

6. Cheetah

Cheetah Guest

Hah, who needs to shower? Plus, who would want to get all wet? Ugh!

I bathe myself, far more efficient.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Indeed, yes. I remember when I had cat living with me how I envied her. She was always clean, and never had to deal with buying soap, shampoo, cleaning a shower, washing towels, etc, etc.

8. Higs

Just... engineers

9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Instead of spending money on radio transmitters and tablets, why don't they just hang curtains or whatever, its cheap and it will take 5 minutes. It's also not a permanent change to the bathroom like building a wall would be

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds almost like an april fools prank.

The (co-ed) dorm I was in at Oberlin had open gang showers (one large room with 12 or so showerheads on each of 3 floors), and every year there'd be discussion about how to use the showers. The decision the year I was there was to have one shower just for men, one just for women, and one that could be used by either.

It was funny to see people's reactions. Some people were concerned that people would be sexually aroused in the showers if there were mixed-sexes (conveniently avoiding the fact that Oberlin is estimated to be about 30% LGBT). I pointed out that anybody who rolls out of bed to get to an 8am class is *not* going to be thinking about sex, and most people eventually acknowledged that.

The other interesting thing was the protocol. When I first went into the showers, everyone was silent. I started up a conversation with a friend and he said back to me (half-jokingly) "Don't talk to me, I'm naked." So we ended up talking about it, realizing how ridiculous it was, and within a week or two, everyone in the showers was having lively conversations, and sometimes people couldn't get in the showers because peopel were hangiing around, showering longer than necessary, simply because the conversation was interesting.

It's funny how once you simply make nudity a non-issue, it is a non-issue. Who cares if somebody looks at your dick, or my dick, or her breasts? When you think about it, there's nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.

11. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL, and you wearing a helmet prevents others from seeing you nude...how? Does the computer system detect and alert about a security breech if a helmet is removed? Or is the idea that it doesn't matter as long as you don't see them seeing you?

Personally, if I had to shower in a room full of guys, I would *not* be reassured by wearing a helmet that screened *my* vision, even if the guys all promised to wear similar helmets...actually, strike that...*especially* if the guys all promised to wear similar helmets. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Seriously...I'm just in such a state of "wow" over here.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno...sounds like an April fool's prank to me...:grin:

13. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This cannot be legit. :lol:

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    April Fools!

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good one!!! :grin:

16. Shea

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn I just started construction on my first helmet!

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was a very clever joke!

Though it did make me wonder, in that to the degree it might have been taken seriously, why are people in America so scared of seeing each other naked?

I recall when Janet Jackson's breast popped out on TV, and what a huge scandal that was, as if seeing a mere breast would curl the spines of children everywhere, and cause them to grow up as depraved sex-maniacs.

It's weird that America has preserved this 'fear of the body' culture for so long; even now, nudity on Television is a still taboo, whereas violence and blood are A-OK. I just don't get it.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    America was founded on puritanical values, this is a fundamental characteristic of the US of A. Sex and its relation to sin is such a big deal down there compared to other countries.

Interestingly, there have been thinkers who have argued that we are getting ever further away from our bodies or interacting with other, real-life bodies, toward a platonic ideal of the body. You can see this in photoshoped magazine ads, but it is more pernicious as the design esthetic extends to our own bodies. Could we foresee a day when all of our interactions will be mediated through avatars, so disgusted we will become of the flesh and bone of real life?

Is it any wonder that many avoid or are repulsed by the down and dirty activities associated with sex, especially with a long-term partner, primarily because we are having a harder time than ever dealing with imperfections and the ever-decaying body? Why do so many prefer "cuddling on the couch" to letting loose during the passionate act of sex?

#19 greatwhale, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

A society attitude of:

Nude=Sex
    Sex=Bad​

That's my best guess.

And yet...that attitude is clearly crazy.