1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resume writing tips

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by doglover44, Apr 1, 2014.

1. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I really am after this one job I want but I have to send them a resume and i never done this before can anyone give me and tips please ?

2. First line: "I am a Panda."

Job secured. :slight_smile:

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What specifically do you want to know? Also, what is this a resume for? Yes, occupation does have a bit to do with it.

First tip I'll give you is that hitting tab instead of the space bar when you want to separate things is much better and looks cleaner.

4. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    It really depends on what sort of job you want.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look up formal templates for resumés to make sure you've got a good format.

Make sure it is written in some form of Standard English (I can assume you're applying to somewhere in the US?) with no colloquialisms and no local dialect, even if you're applying very locally. Make sure all spelling and grammar is correct. A good command of language is always going to be appreciated, and makes obvious what your resumé contains.

Any claims you make should have proof, and you should show previous awards which are relevant, because that can make the difference between you and someone else. For example, in retail, if you've been nominated as employee of the week or something like that, you should mention that, what you did for your previous job(s) and provide some evidence, especially in the form of a reference from an old employer or teacher (as long as it's not too long ago). Saying your previous employer found you diligent and hard-working doesn't mean much if you can't prove it.

What job are you thinking of applying for? That's probably going to be the most important to determine what you're going to write.

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to base your resume around skills you have that will help prove that you can handle this job. For example say you are trying to get a job in customer service, list some previous jobs you had dealing with people.

7. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

This. There really is no ideal resume for all seasons. Some jobs you need to play up your skills/experience/education/activities, some you need to play down same.

Best thing to do is carefully read the description of the job to which you are applying, look up resumes submitted for similar postings and adjust accordingly. (This latter step is assuming you already have a generalized "template" resume from which to depart.)

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was mentioned above, it really depends on the kind of job you want to apply to. Without having more information it makes it difficult to give you specific or concrete suggestions on your resume.

In addition to what has been suggested above, I would suggest that you tailor your resume to the job posting you would like to apply for. Make sure that you highlight your relevant skills, and explain how your skills match what the employer is looking for. If you are applying to a very entry level job, I wouldn't worry too much about explaining your education, nor should you highlight it all too much. It would be more important to highlight your relevant skills showing to the employer that you can do the job.

I would strongly suggest that you try to avoid using cliches (such as hard-working; dependable; committed), when you write your resume. Cliches can be a huge turn off for employers and you want to make sure that the employer stays interested when they read your resume. You can achieve that by showing that you can take initiative, make meaningful contributions, are willing to engage in learning, and are open to suggestions and new ideas, etc...

If you have limited job experience, or none, I would suggest that you write a skills based resume, which contains a section highlighting your relevant skills, with examples of how you have used the skills you are highlighting. If you are missing job experiences, you can draw on examples from volunteering, education, or achievement(s).

9. Gallatin

There are a lot of resources and samples on this site.

When possible, you should always include a cover letter. Sometimes when you apply online, there's no way to do that, but if given the option, always take it. I read an interesting article from a recruiter one time about the importance of cover letters, and one statistic he gave stuck with me: in his 15 years, about 50% of applications he received were resume only. 90% of his hires included cover letters.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    what I did is list the education I had what year I graduated high school , if you did volunteer work that also helps list jobs you had and list your goals in life at the end . Career builder also has examples too of resumes

11. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Sorry to leave everyone in the dark its for a diesel tech

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder if you could provide a bit more information. What are some of the things that the employer is looking for?

Given the employment field, I would suggest that you highlight your technical skills and knowledge related to being a Diesel Technician, as much as you can.

Have you by chance completed an internship as part of your training? if you have that would count as part of your 'employment history,' and should be used as the source for your examples of how you have used your technical skills and knowledge. :slight_smile:

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PM me and I'll send you the template I used to do mine.

14. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one pointer I would give, is be concise. A large cumbersome resume will put people off even picking it up if it looks too much to read.

At the beginning, employers tend to short list, and you need a good concise resume that will stand out with minimal reading. Remember, they may have many to read, and so don't have time to plough through pages and pages.

I always start with a personal statement about me, followed by work experience and then education. Try not to overload it though.

Hope this helps,

Happy days :slight_smile:

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the template that I made from my own resume by just taking off my information/history/etc. and filling in pointers.

Attached Files:

16. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Finally got it done and looks great thanks to some people at my college

17. justjade

Always proofread. Seriously, my boss got a resume for a guy looking for a job as a manager, and he put "bet" instead of "beat". He got the job (which he sucks at, by the way), but most of us still think he's an idiot.

18. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I proof read it several times and so did the people that helped me