1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i (or anyone) can increase willpower?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I think this a important topic to discuss, cause will power is extremely important for reaching your goals, specially when you cannot see results on the short term. So, i think this discussion is important for everyone. Willpower is part of the road for happyness.

How can you train your willpower?

I have some ideas:

*fitness. I feel that how good i eat and doing excersise increase my willpower. Overeating or not eating healthy stuff , on the other hand,can make you kind of slower mentally and lazier.

*breaking into baby steps as much as possible

* getting angry (but mantaining enought calm). Anger is an energy of action, focused well you can use it to 'beat the shit of big problems in life' it can make you persistant when required.

* having confidence. I know this is importance cause lack of confidence is one of those things that slower my proggress the most. When you dont trust your dreams, the plausibility of your dream or your ability to reach for your dream, the chair in front of the computer and the facebook, becomes extremely tempting... Part of increasing willpower is increasing confidence, with is not that easy, im struggling with this one.

*Setting small short term goals that not only let you gain confidence but that somehow is related to your bigger long therm goals.

What suggestions you have? Any ideas?

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

That are good ideas! I'm alwys looking for some new ideas or helpful quotations to increase my willpower. I don't have that much.
    First of all you have to have a goal. (I'm still searching for it)
    That's all I can say:slight_smile:

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Willpower is only as strong as ones motivation. Most people don't even know what they want hence they have little willpower.

4. Simple Thoughts

I suck at the whole 'willpower' thing, but if you find some useful suggestions I'd love to hear them ^^

5. Hexagon

Yeah, as gibson said, motivation is key.

6. Sorceress of Az

I think it has to do with motivation,
    problem is some know what they want and can't build the motivation to work for it.

7. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Yes, i see tah problem... So we could say taht even thought having a goal and having the motivation are related, you might have one but not the other... Ummm, is good idea to analyze that... What im thinking is this:

A goal brings it own motivation, having a goal comes naturaly with the necesary motivation to get it acheived....BUUUT our inner fears steal that natural motivation. So deep down, after setting a goal, the key of all is handling your fears, building confidence.

This makes sense to me

8. Hexagon

The reason I say this is because for me at least, I'm much more capable of doing something difficult if I have a moral conviction to support it. Like ethical veganism is much easier than trying to lose weight.

9. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a couple more ideas:

Education: increasing your knowledge base and critical thinking skills leads to a more active an empowered mind. This should then improve ones confidence and set you in good stead for achieving goals.

Focus: practice concentration. When focused, it is easier to exercise your willpower and stay on track for what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps,

Happy days :slight_smile:

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take a sauna at Pop's Health Club that increases willpower.

(Cookie and respect to whoever gets that reference).

Willpower is defined by determination and perseverance. It only is effective in what you want.

However low willpower can also come from low confidence and being resigned to certain things because they are "easier and I can't do it" Mentality wins.

Increase your confidence first.

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Get a couple of hungry mouths dependent on you. Worked for me. :lol: