1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same sex marriage question...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was recently discussing gay marriage, when a thought occurred to me, so I thought I'd ask here.

In traditional marriage between a man an women, it is often customary (although certainly not mandatory) for the woman to change her last name to that of her husbands. I was wondering if anyone knew, if two same sex people married, can one of them change their last name to that of their partner, if they so choose?

I appreciate everywhere has different laws, so would be interested how it is where you are.

Another sub question is would you change your last name if you partner asked? Conversely, would you be tempted to ask you partner to change their last name to yours?

Your thoughts......

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Cass

Personally if I did marry a girl I'd change my last name because I hate my last name

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think usually both keep their original name, but you can do whatever you want. You could come up with a whole new last name, I'd go with Skywalker or something cool like that

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's usually a custom that is followed, yes, but sometimes the woman keeps her maiden name, especially if they are of a high ranking family and want to keep their family name.

If I were to ever get married, I would probably hyphenate my last name.

5. Joelouis

Flip a coin.

6. AlamoCity

I would either hyphenate our last names in the order that they phonetically sound best or have each of us keep our last name.

Though, if he asked me to change my last name to his, I'd be willing to consider it based on how much or little support I get for our wedding from my family (in attendance, not financial).

Better yet, if none of our families support us, we can just adopt a new last name or go back a few generations in our tree and pick new surnames.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes I would but most of my long distance girlfriends wanted mine because they liked how it sounds

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in Quebec, it's actually against the law to take on another name (too many divorces, I suppose). So everyone keeps their own name or they hyphenate with the other's name (which is allowed).

Moot really as many of the younger generation don't even bother to marry when they have kids...(according to Gov't of Canada statistics, in 2006 there were roughly 30% of families with kids in this province that were common-law, probably even higher now).

9. BelleFromHell

I want to change my last name when I get married. It's a very common last name, while my first and middle names are both rare, so it sounds kinda weird.

Plus, my last name comes from my birth-dad, who's a Christian extremist, homophobic asshat.
    He also abandoned me when I was 3 years old, so I don't have any desire to keep his name whatsoever.

10. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a guy and wouldn't want to change my last name. I like the sound of my first and last name together and don't like the gender connotations (or essentially being labeled the "woman" in the relationship since I didn't keep my original name).

There is ONE thing that would make me consider it. And that is if my fiancee's parents and family were very supportive of the marriage and my own family wasn't (which I'm sure would be the case). I could maybe see myself changing a name as a way of saying "I'm now part of a family where I am accepted".

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I married a guy I'd probably take his name...if not...I dunno I guess we'd discuss it at the time. I don't have any particular attachment to my surname so perhaps we'd make our own.

12. AmiBee

In my state, if you marry, it is easy to change your surname. My state has allowed same sex marriage since 2004. When I married my wife, we both kept our own surnames. Had I changed mine, my name would be the same a s my sister-in-law's. I would not be willing to give up my uncommon last name to share both of her names. Our son has a hyphenated.last name with both my wife and my surnames.

13. thesharkamander

I'd like to keep my last name regardless of my partner's gender, personally.
    They can also keep theirs, unless they want to change it.

14. Kreiger

I like my last name plenty, but if my future husband's name is something really cool, like Stryker or McGoohan I'd totally change it.

15. C P

C P

It would depend on their last name obviously because I won't really consider doing anything with it if I'm not personally fond of it, ha.

If I am fond of it(or it's wacky enough to stand out to my liking), like has been mentioned above by others, I'd definitely consider hyphenating it, depending on which way sounds better because I don't care as much for the flow my last name gives at present.

16. Minamimoto_Fan

I'd probably take his because I hate my last name since it's also a first name and the kids made fun of me because of it back in early grade school >3>

17. IsThisAName

I wouldn't mind changing my last name to hers. I wouldn't really wanna have different last names. Even though it's just a name and shouldn't matter that much, if we share the same last name it feels more family-like. I'm not too attached to my last name so changing it wouldn't bother me.

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe here you can change your name to whatever you'd like..

I never expect this to be taken seriously, but I honestly always wished everyone would just amalgamate their two last names and create a new one. :lol:

19. animequeen567

I'd prefer to take their last name personally.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I marry the guy I'm with now, we'd keep our last names the way they are.