1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here ride a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Necromancer, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I have never really wanted a driver's license, but in my chosen field of employment there isn't really a choice in the matter. I have to bite the bullet and get a vehicle. Ideally I'd be driving an electric or a hybrid, but there is no way I can afford to purchase or insure one. Gas can be a problem, too.

So, what I've settled on is picking up a motorcycle endorsement and buying a cheap bike. A lightweight bike is cheaper up front and uses a lot less fuel, making it cheaper in the long run and more environmentally responsible. Insurance shouldn't be worse than a car. There is also an unmistakable cool in riding a bike. To seal the deal, the reason I hate driving is because of how big cars are (don't feel comfortable controlling that mass) and how unnatural the control method is, and a small bike solves both those problems.

Does anybody here already ride? Is there any insider info or popular misconception that I should know about?

2. Skov

I used to ride a motorcycle. I had a Ninja 650. While I did enjoy riding, I have stopped now. Other cars honestly terrified me. Plus, I lived by Sturgis (there's the biggest motorcycle rally in the world there every year) and saw too many stories about death on motorcycles. They are a ton of fun though

3. Beetle

I'm gonna take riding lessons after I graduate this month and settle down a bit.

4. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to learn how to ride a motorcycle and get my M license, but after I get my full G first. Luckily there is a motorcycle training place in my hometown so at least I know there's a place I can learn how to ride.

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would guess riding a motorbike as your only vehicle would be impractical, unless you live something where it never rains or gets real cold. I've got an motorcycle endorsement in my state but don't ride on the street. I prefer off road bikes but used to ride as a passenger with both my former and current partner. To be safe you've got to be a VERY defensive driver. You have to assume car and truck drivers can't see you, will cut you off, pull out in front of you, etc.

6. Smudge64

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've got a cbr600rr. Best toy I ever bought. There's a real buzz about being in the open on 2 wheels. There's nothing to be scared of driving a car though. As long as you are taught well.

7. BelleFromHell

My grandfather used to be the leader of a motorcycle gang...

As for me, I don't have one, but I'd love to get one! :grin:

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would love to but I made a promise to my Mother never to ride (her Father was killed in a motorcycle accident when she was a child).

9. Smudge64

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good on you for keeping your promise Linco

10. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just sold my bike. A CBR 600F4i. I don't think that I would buy one for my everyday vehicle, but for pleasure, they can't be beaten. Fuel economy was pretty good too at about 50 mpg average. My insurance was $150 for 12 months.

You definitely have to be aware of other vehicles. Keep your eye on any vehicle that is anywhere near you. People will have no problem with running you off the road. If you have to take a road test, rent a small scooter and use that for the test as it's much easier.

11. Smudge64

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Can't beat it Tectonic. Mines a bit harder on fuel but sensible riding I can get maybe 40mpg. But who wants to ride a sports bike sensible?!! Lol

12. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nobody? lol I definitely didn't buy a sport bike for the fuel economy.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Well, I am buying for the fuel economy, so no sports bike for me. I probably couldn't handle the torque, anyway :lol:

14. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Kawasaki website lists the Ninja 300 as getting 68mpg (I hear its about 56 though). I hear nothing but good things about it and it will likely be my first vehicle that I buy, that or a KLR. Ive also heard that the 250 and 300 are great started bikes for new riders, that's also why I want one.

15. juliegt6

I own 4 bikes now. 1973 Honda ST90, 1974 Husqvarna 400, 1975 Honda CB750 and a 1995 Suzuki GSXR1100. Starr on something small on displacement and with a traditional, more upright riding position. Really, other than the 90, my bikes aren't great on gas, and savings are negated with cost of tires and other expenses.

I live in Michigan, so these really only get ridden a few months a year, and I also have a summer car that gets the brunt of miles in the summer. You're in California that can make it ok for everyday, but it can get very old very quick if you aren't a motorcycle die-hard.

16. Beetle

Not sure what I'd get. I'm not into sport bikes, I'd like to get a more classic motorcycle like a cruiser. I've been looking at Triumph and Harley. Just would have to see what is most comfortable to ride.

17. leer

Same hear mums younger brother who I was named after died when i was 14 months .A mate at school had a scrambler motorbike & I had a go came off a few times in a field anyway I explained this to mum covered in mud Mum went ape shit never seen her so angry
    she told never to do it again .

18. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I can't even ride a bike. [​IMG]

19. 101DeadRoses

I want one SO bad but I'm not old enough. I want a chopper and a little suzuki, or something of the sort.

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. My Mum's not here any more, so it would be so easy to break the promise I made to her, but I never will even though there is a part of me that would love a bike.