1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions: What do you think about coming out on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IsThisAName, Apr 4, 2014.

1. IsThisAName

First off, let me say that I am not about to do this, lol. I've considered doing it in the future but I am hesitant about it. I was just wondering what you all think and if you have or would do this. I think if you come out on Facebook, there are a few ways to do it.

One would be to be blunt and to the point and post a status about it. I've thought about doing this when I'm ready but I'm not sure yet whether I would. My sister did it and no one has given her any negative reactions about it, but I'm very private so I'm not sure whether I'd be open to sharing it that bluntly.

Another would be to just changing your "interested in" on Facebook. I've thought about doing this, and I don't think anyone really reads those things anyway. Has anyone done this, and have you gotten any reactions from it?

Another, which I currently already do, would just be to like pride and LGBT pages on Facebook and share their stuff often. I don't do this solely for the purpose of making people get the point--I just do it because that's the kind of stuff I'm interested in. But I think by now, from the amount of gay pages I like, if anyone was paying attention they would have their suspicions.

Has anyone done any of these, and how has it gone for you? I'm curious to hear other's experiences and whether you think coming out like that on Facebook is appropriate. My mom has said that it's not anyone's business, which is true, but I know she wouldn't say the same thing if I were straight, so, ya know. What do you guys think? Again I'm not asking for advice lol, I'm not doing this yet.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I wouldn't bother...I mean I came out as trans on facebook for obvious reasons, but I've never bothered to mention my orientation.

Personally I'm of the opinion that if you want to, great, but it's not necessary.

I mean personally I think that even if I wasn't trans, and made a post saying I had a same sex partner, I could realistically expect some people to like the status, most people to ignore it and a couple to say 'since when are you gay?'. I might get some negative response but the people who gave it wouldn't be on my friends list very long...

Really it's up to you, I just personally don't see the need.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not an aficionado of FB, however, I find that coming out that way would reduce whatever control one would have as to who knows or doesn't, depending on the environment you live in, especially with Timeline, this can come back to haunt you...so keep a strict watch on those privacy controls.

4. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't bother making a point to come out on facebook. But then to be honest I might not be the best person to say as I'm far too private to be a fan of social networking in general anyway. The only reason I made an fb account in the first place was because a friend kept bugging me to. Nowadays I only use it to share links to petitions and such or to leave a comment if one of my friends has posted an especially important status, like they've created another tiny person or something. :lol:

The only advantage I can think of with being out on facebook is if you wanted to take the hassle out of telling people you don't see/speak to very often in person, but realistically if you're not very close then there is little point in telling them.

5. antimacy

I've been considering coming out on Facebook. I'm not sure how I'd do it, but I'm at a point in my life where I want to stop having to hide my identity. I agree with TigerInATopHat, I would do it to get the hassle out of the way. Just to have everyone know and not have to worry about it. Being in the closet.... has not been fun to put it nicely. It would be kind of nice to have everyone know and just get that off my chest.

I've been considering waiting until Coming Out Day and maybe posting a status or something. Or just changing my 'interested in'. Does anyone know if that would show up in everyone's newsfeeds?

6. Thomas88

The Thickest Forest in the entire milky way
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Actually you don't have to post a status about your coming out whether now or later. As a private person like you, I will just post a pic of my bf and me to surprise my fb friends when I'm ready. :slight_smile: I am still in the closet and no bf though lolxD

7. BelleFromHell

I don't have anything checked on my interested in setting.

I used to go to a church and a lot of the people I knew from there are friends with me on Facebook. I don't think it's a good idea to let them know that I'm a lesbian.

(Although I have agnostic listed under the religious beliefs setting, and I don't think they even noticed. :lol:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

I've pretty much abandoned my Facebook account...
    I need to get back on.

8. IsThisAName

I don't think it shows up in other people's newsfeed. When you go to your profile page, it might show up under "recent activity," but I think that's it. I can't be entirely sure though. I've thought about waiting till Coming Out Day as well but I'm not sure. I know I'm not super close to everyone I'm friends with on Facebook anyway so it's not really their business, but at the same time I feel like it would be so much easier to just be out to everyone. I could feel more open and like I don't have to hide anything anymore. Honestly I don't really care what people say about it. It's who I am and if they don't like it, they'll deal.

Belle, I used to go to church and had tons of friends from church but ended up removing them all awhile ago. For me it was a huuuge relief. Mostly because they were always posting homophobic things and commenting whenever I talked about gay rights, so I got tired of it.

9. TheUglyBarnacle

I've done both of these. I haven't had anyone tell me anything about the first one so, in my case, it went unnoticed. The second one, though, has raised suspicions. Classmates of mine have asked me about it and a friend of mine told me that somebody asked him about it. Actually, I have my pronouns neutral and some gay guy added me and almost hit on me because (I suppose) they deduced I'm a guy from my pictures and gay from my Likes. :lol:

I'd really like to hear from people who came out on facebook in a more blunt way.

#9 TheUglyBarnacle, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  10. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I don't know about you but where I live facebook rapes always end with a "I'm gay" status, sometimes accompanied with a picture of 2 guys kissing to make it more graphic, or a "message me boys xoxo" to make it more annoying, or even a whole coming out paragraph just to make it more believable-.- I honestly don't see what straight people find funny about a guy coming out, but it's the most common form of facebook rape and if I ever tried to come out on there people would probably think it's another fbrape and ignore it.

11. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're basically saying it's nobody's business, but you don't want to be lying about it either, just remove the "interested in". The way FB changes how their privacy controls work without much notice, don't rely on making it only visible to certain people. Might work today, might not tomorrow.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought about doing so, as in posting a status, but then I figured: "What's the point?" Yeah sure, it'll eliminate the comments such as: "You are gay?" on a photo with my boyfriend (if I ever bother) but other than that I really see no point. On the occasion, I'll share stuff that is LGBT related but other than that, I do nothing. If people notice based on me sharing stuff, I'll tell them if they ask.

13. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out on Facebook by making a video stating I was gay. I don't like keeping secrets about myself, and I just needed them to know. But you are a different person, and we all have our own way of doing it, if you even want to. Im sure you'll do the right thing :slight_smile:

14. IsThisAName

Would love to hear what other people think. I removed my "interested in" on Facebook. I had it as "men" for awhile but I feel like even if I'm just bi, that's half lying, and if someone goes to check because they're curious, I don't mind if it raises suspicions. At this point I don't really care who knows that I'm not straight.

15. KWDBM

I'm of two minds about this. *Personally*, if I wasn't already out, it would be sorta an afterthought to "come out" on Facebook. Most of the people close to me IRL aren't on Facebook, so I'd have to come out IRL and then figure out if/how I want to do so on FB.... From talking to a lot of different people about FB habits I know that a lot of my friends just "skim" new statuses when they look at FB, and in my mind I could probably do some big "coming out" post and only half my friends would actually read it.

I'm "out" on Facebook simply by being in LGBT groups and re-posting a lot of gay-rights stuff. If a FB friend doesn't know by now, I'd be very surprised.

16. IsThisAName

That's what I'm thinking. I only started doing it recently, so I don't know if the point's gotten across yet. But I share so much LGBT stuff and pages with obvious gay titles, so I think at some point it should be obvious lol.

17. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trust me, it's gotten across. Believe it or not but people are much smarter than they lead us on to be.

18. Hiems

I usually "like" posts from various groups about LGBT-related news. My likes appear on everyone's news feed.

I don't share those posts because then they will appear as very noticeable statuses, and I would rather keep my support low-key. If anyone is curious enough to check news feed to see what exactly I liked, then that's already enough for them to suspect...

19. To me, it's not a bad idea. but it'll come as a disadvantage if you have your parents as your fb friends, or your parent's friends like me. If I did come out on fb, my parent's friends will know and my immigrant cousins will know; knowing their giant-ass mouths, they'd tell my parents within an hour. I can't really delete and block them because one part of the group are my extended family, can't exactly block family; my parents will use me as a connector for them and their friends since my parents don't know how to use a Facebook, let alone knowing how to use a computer.

A lot of my friends and classmates already know I'm gay, so I didn't need Facebook to come out. Plus, I'm really lazy to post a coming-out status update, even though I'm busy updating on other stuff so coming out of Facebook doesn't really cross my mind.

#19 anthonythegamer, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  20. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've changed my interested in a lot, but sometimes it will show up on your timeline. I now have it listed as being bi, and I leave it at that.

I've shared photos that said that I was bi in them. This worked pretty well because it got the point across easily (this was the first time I came out as bi.) I had sent a FB message, and told some people in person before I posted that though.

I came out as trans* to a lot of people by changing my name on facebook and making a post about it. I share a lot of LGBT stuff on facebook as well, so it's pretty obvious that I fall somewhere in the community.

So, it works, but if you are planning on doing this, I would come out to people that you want to tell in person/in PM first.