1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

same sex marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by happydavid, Apr 4, 2014.

1. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love the idea of a same sex marriage but I trying to work out how would it differ from a traditional wedding ie maid of honor or best man. Would you have a wedding cake and what would it look like ? What would the couple wear? Sorry about this dumb thread.

#1 happydavid, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...your "best man" will have to accept being demoted to "second-best man" :grin:

3. IsThisAName

Not sure if you're asking what we would do or what a typical same sex marriage ceremony would be like. Just like hetero weddings, they differ widely. But I've heard of weddings between two women where one wears a suit and the other wears a dress, or maybe they both wear a suit, or both wear a dress... it's completely different depending on the people. Personally I can't imagine myself wearing a wedding dress but I know I definitely wouldn't want to wear a suit. I think if I do marry a girl we'll just do something cutesy and casual, or maybe just go to Vegas haha.

4. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I would think the beauty of a same-sex wedding is that you could do whatever the hell you want! It's already non-traditional in one large respect, so I would think the couple could have a lot of fun planning exactly the celebration that best fit their personalities, whether it be quiet and intimate and friendly, or splashy and fabulous. It's kind of a liberating thought, actually, having gone through all the planning and family politics and histrionics of a straight wedding 20 years ago!

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be an orgy of rainbows,

No, but seriously though, weddings are so diverse these days, personalised to people's preferences. You could in theory have it exactly like a traditional wedding except with two brides or grooms. You could have both brides walking down the isle one after the other, but then exactly the same. Or it could be anything else you want....

They are really taylor made.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner and I have decided to go for very low key. Neither of us wish to be the centre of attention, so there will be no ceremony or fanfare, just a simple registration.

7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ditto to the above. It should be whatever the couple decides upon. Personally, I want a GIANT wedding. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3voQ0H0tQ only with more dancing, dabkeh!!!, more white, and a prettier setting. Oh, and I want a summer wedding so, I want to wear a light-colored suit (probably cream so as not to detract from the white of the bride). ;3 I have given this a lot of thought, though... haha!

8. Poe

Poe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My second marriage (only same sex on I've had) was just a normal back yard wedding of friends and family, my maids of honor were my cousins (all girls) because we are super close and standing for her was her best friend (a guy) and my brother...which I guess is pretty traditional. And we had a pretty normal reception I guess. Idk that it was much different at all from a wedding a man and woman would have...

9. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When/if I get married, I would like my future wife and I to enter the ceremony on ziplines, with rainbow streamers trailing behind us.

Seriously, though, I imagine my wedding will be smallish and kind of goofy (kind of like me). I've got a large extended family, but I don't think I'd want to have a huge gathering. I think it would be really cool for each of us to have a best man AND a maid of honor. I don't know who I will marry, so I can't speak for her, but we'll come up with something that fits us. And I was only half-kidding about the ziplines.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that I really don't care about a wedding, just the actual marriage, I think I would want only a registration and maybe a small dinner afterwards.

As Choirboy mentioned, a same-sex marriage can really be anything you like. Not that heterosexual marriages can't be, but same-sex marriages have fewer traditions and restrictive expectations.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ceremony I'd want to just be short and sweet and none of the huge festivities afterward. No we're not going to do the Hokey Pokey or the chicken dance or have a 29 course meal and have everyone dance. I don't know how anyone can sink $50,000 into a wedding.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Weddings in my family have gone into the $500,000 bracket. It's completely pointless to spend that much money on one day, especially given that it's purely symbolic.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I now pronounce u husband and husband and I would see instead of being given away by your father the couple would just walk down the isle together oh and ya I would want a cake but I wouldn't want it to be an ordinary I would want an ace of cakes one. Also I wouldn't wanna pay too much money I don't think I would wanna pay anymore that $5,000 to $10,000 my aunt has been married 3 times divorced 3 times each wedding cost $20,000 and each divorce costed $12,000 so there's about $100,000 worth of marriage for her.

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just an additional idea bridesmen of groomsmaids

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, the customs and traditions of heterosexual marriage are just that -- customs and traditions. In the 1960s and 70s, a lot of people really shook up those traditions by having nontraditional marriage ceremonies... on mountaintops at sunrise, on beaches, in their homes or other non-traditional settings, with different types of clothing, traditions, and even completely different vows. I've seen weddings where the "Maid of Honor" was the gay BFF of the bride.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the Elvis Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas, where you can be married by an Elvis impersonator, and lots of other equally tacky, kitschy ways to approach your wedding.

Even today, people are free to make their marriages their own, so gay weddings are no different. I've seen a lot of them where the two grooms are both in matching tuxes, and I've even seen some where one of the grooms wore a formal white wedding dress.

I think it's totally up to whomever is getting married to set the tone for what the wedding will be like.

16. AlamoCity

Personally, I'd like to have a wedding that's simple, reserved, and with understated elegance.

Simple seersucker suits for both of us, with pastel colored bow ties (and possibly, cummerbunds)

A public servant would serve as the officiant (unless my fiance had a religious background, then I'd acquiesce).

The wedding cake would not have two grooms on it. I find the statuettes distasteful. The only question is, would there be two groom's cakes? I suppose it depends if he's southern or not :lol:.

Based on my friends and such, I suspect I'd have mostly groomsmen, but, in all honest, I wouldn't feel bad if we eschew such tradition.

I don't think you'd find a single rainbow in the entire wedding because it's not to my liking. I prefer the wedding to be indistinguishable from a "straight" wedding, save for the fact that there will be two grooms :lol:.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to wear the dress but that's not going to happen

18. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well all I know is that the guy who WOULD have been my best man is going to be the Best Velociraptor since he refuses to be my maid of honour!