1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older People in PA

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flubash, Apr 4, 2014.

1. flubash

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Fellow citizens of PA, This November we must vote for a candidate who supports marriage equality. I am sorry, but I am very concerned about this issue, and I can not vote. :frowning2: Those of you who can vote, please vote for equality.

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is still a little early for me to know who I'm going to vote for, but I am leaning toward Corbett.

While Corbett has said some stupid things about gay marriage, he has done a pretty solid job overall as governor and unemployment has dropped significantly since he took over. Things are really improving in Pennsylvania.

At the same time, if Tom Wolf is the Democratic Party's candidate (which right now he is far ahead of everyone else), I will strongly consider voting for him. Wolf is a very likable guy, and he's done some pretty great things as a business owner.

If Allyson Schwartz or Rob McCord become the nominee, Corbett's got my vote, especially if it's the former.

3. flubash

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Corbett has destroyed PA in a lot of ways. I do not like his stances socially or fiscally. He has tried to destroy public education. That is my opinion, I am not trying to attack yours.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry; I don't get offended, particularly when it comes to politics. However, your opinion is wrong when it comes to education.

Corbett did not cut education. When he took office, a temporary federal education grant was ending that former Democratic governor Ed Rendell foolishly counted on to be in place long-term. As a result, teachers were getting paid from the temporary federal grant, and schools were getting funded from it, too. Obviously, when the grant stopped, teachers had to be laid off, and schools lost significant funding. Corbett's budget for 2014 has a lot of money allocated to education, and more than Rendell ever appropriated to education.

On top of that, Rendell left Pennsylvania with a substantial deficit that Corbett had to find ways to reduce. Corbett's done that while not raising taxes, although he indirectly has raised them with his transportation bill, but Pennsylvania's infrastructure needs major repairs. In addition, unemployment is 6.2%, which is lower than the national average and the lowest it's been in six years. So yeah, he's done a pretty decent job considering the circumstances, and he certainly hasn't "destroyed" Pennsylvania.

#4 Mike92, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014