1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing affection around family, friends or in public... Question?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So thus topic came about when I was talking to my mam about how I don't know to meet someone and it's kind of annoying how I'm still single. Anyway I digress...

She then told me about when she was talking to the two gay guys at where she works. Both of them said they would never hold hands, hug or kiss they partner in public. Now this I can sort of see why. But!

One of them said that he won't do any of that around family because he doesn't want them to feel uncomfortable even though they are fine with him being gay. So I just kept thinking that if I'm around family, except some of my younger nephews who don't know/understand, I would wanna hug my guy and hold hands... Kidding could be awkward maybe so I can understand that... Sort of.

I just kept thinking that "straight people are affectionàte all the time without worrying of making people feel uncomfortable so why should be put off"

Obviously there is a time and a place like everything in life but not to do it in front of friends or family who are fine/supportive because they might feel uncomfortable just seems a bit silly.

Any thoughts?

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

You have to be comfortable with actions in public....do the things the way you want to:slight_smile:

But I think if the straight can do that even we can do!!!:grin:

3. Yosia

I think people should be able to be comfortable wherever (within reason) and with whoever~ If i had a boyfriend i would want to shiw affection wherever we were, i always show affection to people, like i will hug people goodbye and stuff and if i see a shop i want to visit or something i will grab their hands and pull them instead of just saying i want to go there~

I think some people get embarassed by people seeing them >.<

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Haha I like that

:lol:

5. anaisninja

IMO straight people need to see MORE pdas from the gays, not less. You know, so they'll get used to it.

6. Joelouis

Now, how can I say this without upsetting anyone.

I don't like seeing ANYONE kissing in public. Any gender or orientation.
    I'm not talking about the peck on the cheek, I'm on about the full-on snog.
    I see it as the next step to sex and would rather it was kept private.

But that's just my conservative view.
    Holding hands is affectionate and something different.

Perhaps I'm being too miserable, but as I say, it's just my opinion.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I hate egregious PDAs.

Hugging, kissing and holding hands is beautiful for any couple.

But making out and groping and dry humping essentially is a total nono, regardless of who is doing it (gay or straight couples) in my opinion. "Get a room" totally applies here.

8. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Well yeah... Even I'd have limits

9. 101DeadRoses

I suggest yes, if you want to walk with your boyfriend and hold hands, go right on ahead, but be careful when you are in highly rural or non-supportive areas. Remember the couple in NYC who got beaten up for holding hands, remember Matthew Shepard and all the rest. Hold hands, hug and other such affectionate things but I wouldn't suggest going to romantic.
    It's one thing if people are staring at you, another entirely if they beat you up.
    Be cautious.

10. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have no problem being affectionate with my girlfriend in public or in front of family and friends. They have to accept that I'm gay and going out with a girl, if we get married they are going to see us kiss at our wedding so they might as well get used to it.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly this is the Bullshit I can't stand (excuse my french :***:slight_smile: I walk outside , I even come from work late at night I'm on the damn train I'm on the bus at the mall and straight people show affection all the time sometimes a little too much some times it's cute but I am jealous of them they can show affection and no one bats an eye . But me showing affection to my girlfriend like holding her hand hugging her kissing her causes a stir and makes people uncomfortable . :tantrum: give me a break ! , I put up with most of my life watching straight people slobber each other and I can't do it ? That's straight people getting off on straight privilege if you ask me :dry:
    Now I don't like showing affection in public it wouldn't matter my orientation I will not do french kissing in public . But I will hold hands , hugs a light kiss on the lips it's all fine .
    but If my family said my girlfriend and I couldn't show affection , or we had to fake being friends I wouldn't talk to them after that you can't accept me well then you don't need me good bye . Because I've seen my straight relatives get away with a lot and I mean a lot to where one of my cousins was having sex with her boyfriend in the next room and no one batted an eye . :tantrum:

#11 stocking, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  12. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I have no issues with PDA (within civilized bounds). Either seeing it or being a participant. Straight, gay or other.

13. IsThisAName

This reminds me of something funny. My sister and I look like we're the same age (I have a baby face and am super short), so sometimes when we hang out together we get dirty looks from people, and I'm assuming they think we're gay. Neither of us is straight and we probably both give off that vibe anyway. So anyway, just to mess with people, we'll hold hands and kiss each other on the cheek and people stare even more, when in reality we're just doing sister stuff :roflmao: Never gets old.

Anyway, when I have a girlfriend I won't hesitate to show affection with her in public just as I would if I were straight. Nothing over the top, cause no one likes that regardless of sexual orientation. But simple stuff like holding hands, hugging, quick kisses etc, I don't care what people think, let them stare :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: