1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it STILL such a big issue to be LGBTQ in the 21st century?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anonym, Apr 6, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I know that society has made a lot of progress with this but today is one of those days I feel particularly angry and bitter about being transsexual in a transphobic society. I'm so frustrated that people STILL don't seem to understand never mind accept what it means to be transsexual. My mum tells me it is a mental illness and she thinks the same about homosexuality. I feel so angry like I just want to shake everyone until they get it into their thick skulls.

Why are there still TV story lines where characters are coming out as gay and getting shunned by their families? I know that they aim to portray an accurate reflection of society but IMO, at the same time, this promotes homophobia. Why are there not any transsexual/transgender story lines on prime time TV? I know that I'm lucky here in the UK compared to many other countries but in spite of this, I just feel like shouting

'FOR :***: SAKE. WHY IS IT STILL AN ISSUE TO BE LGBTQ!!!!!!!!!!' [/SIZE]

Sorry, rant over.

2. Saint Otaku

I feel your pain, even though I'm not transgender. I recently had a conversation with a coworker I'm out to--she was very supportive of my sexuality, but was quite transphobic when the topic of transgender people was brought up; I tried so hard to educate her, but with minimal success.

"I still think it's weird." --quote from her after my efforts. :frowning2:

3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Progress of civilization is a very slow process, even in our "enlightened" age. There are still large factions of our population who have a problem with women wearing pants, for heaven's sake. :rolle:

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Transsexual Empire, which was a book by radfem Janice Raymond, was a catalyst for the hatred of transsexual (to be specific) people. Since it became a hit in feminist circles, this bullshit train of thought spread like a virus.

If you've read some really old articles about trans people, you'll see distinctly more positive comments. There wasn't even misgendering in the articles. In an issue of Playboy from the 1970s, Hugh Hefrie responded to a letter made by a trans woman's husband that affirmed trans people.

To answer the 1st part of your question, being an LGBT person is only a big deal because we make it out to be. If trans people could transition in peace, if gay people could marry in peace, if we could all be treated normally... everything would be fine.

There are many sources of misinformation about us, such as teenage girls on the internet pretending to be transgender and making up stupid labels/pronouns/"trans headcanons"(since "demigirl" doesn't mean "demisexual girl", what the fuck does it actually mean? How about "boi"? This is madness!), Bibles that were poorly translated/misinterpreted (if homosexuality was a sin, the Bible would just say so. Besides, homophobic attitudes are not what Jesus was about), and TERFs.

#4 An Gentleman, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are a couple of problems. First is it takes time for what are considered social norms to change. Although LGBTQA people are not seen as so out of the norm these days, I still thing many people are dragging their heels on the up issue, whether it be out of ignorance or prejudice.
    Secondly, unfortunately, people still cling to the outdated crutch of religion, which doesn't tolerate anything out of their doctrines. As long as people won't let go of their Bronze Age fairy tales which were invented by men in a dark age of ignorance, we will struggle to move into modern times where everyone can be accepted for who they are.

Let's just hope, that one day the human race grows up.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's an issue because LGBTQ people still face a lot of discrimination, still are often closeted (and thus often invisible to the heterosexual majority). Even in the UK, you see that same-sex marriage was only legal a few days ago, and that's supposed to be a "modern, socially liberal country".

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because as humans we stress differences as uniqueness but that difference causes friction amongst close minded people who are intractable in their ways.

Why is it so hard to leave people alone and let them live and love?

We are progressing but not nearly enough, especially in the transgender area of equality.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is valid. In some sectors of society, in some occupations, and in some less populous and enlightened locations, it's still an issue and will probably will continue to be an issue.

The term sexual minority has been used here on EC and elsewhere. That's it right there. LGBTQ are a minority of the population and, therefore, a large part of the population doesn't understand it, given that they couldn't possibly feel that way and fathom doing the actions that go with it, so they think it's odd. Some people are accepting, tolerant, and/or have a "live and let live" attitude but, even among those people, some genuinely feel that way while some appear to go along for the ride because it's sort of the popular or enlightened way to view and interact with LGBTQ folks. Also, I think the most virulent opponents are people who themselves have issues with their own sexual identities or have been brainwashed by their religious beliefs. Those sort of people will always exist.

9. person57

It's because a lot of people are ignorant idiots. I'm sure LGBT people will be more accepted in future generations though

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't automatically link modernity with acceptance. Time is not the cure for hatred, nor is vulgar and ignorant criticism of religion.

From when we're young, often for the sake of "simplicity" or "innocence," children are taught that there are two genders (synonymous with sex) who love each other and do/enjoy/deserve/require different things due to their gender. From that very essentialist view, the same kids grow up, and we have adults who are stuck in that mindset, but they have the potential to be violent, dangerous, and have political power. They can't accept what challenges that mindset, leading to a pretty strong backlash when it is. Cognitive dissonance makes hate even more virulent.

Even the most ardent allies can be pathetically ignorant. The cultural problem isn't limited to a group of evil, far-right Protestant churches in the South of the US; the more pervasive problem is that it's hard to gauge if any cis or het (or even gay people when it comes to bi, pan etc) people actually understand what the issues are and how (and even why) to support them.

#10 Aussie792, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  11. Colours

I agree. It's all in how people have been raised. It's up to us now to make it better for the next generation(s).

Unless people actually come and threaten me or something for being gay, I'm fine with people not accepting it. It's their loss - they're the ones who are ignorant and it's not their fault but the fault of their surroundings. And unless they're a kid it's hard to change their mind about it. So it's a waste of time and energy to get all mad (just saying). Even if it's unfair, it's something we just have to deal with.

12. Hexagon

Because people are selfish, thoughtless and ignorant.

13. Sigrid

Aussie792 is making a very valid point, there. It has a lot to do with the gender roles that are forced upon us from the moment we are born (a great example would be the tradtion of dressing newborns in blue/pink).

There's also the fact that the human brain is wired to categorize things. People feel a need to label each other, and when they encounter someone who falls outside those labels it makes them nervous, simply because they have no idea how they're "supposed" to act in a situation like that.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeahh I don't even understand that and if there is a trans character on tv it's always done in comic relief , I think it's because of the homophobes out there that are scared of lgbtQ people

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I've noticed is that a lot of people r supportive over gay people but they seem to still be transphobic. Back in the day everybody was so close minded that most people would just live a lie and be unhappy so they weren't shunned or looked down on. Then one day the 90s came and gay people started coming on tv. But I get what your saying at homophobia has died down quite a bit but transphobia is still a big deal. I really think that's the next step for world acceptance. Also I've never seen a transphobic character on tv but in the future I do believe there will be world acceptance.

16. IsThisAName

Because religion planted the seed for centuries of homophobia, and even if people don't cite their religion as their reason being against who we are, I believe that's where it all came from, and for close-minded people, it's much easier to live on in ignorance and intolerance than to make a change. So the ignorance just goes on. I believe one day it will be better. I think my generation is at least better at acceptance than older generations, even though I've seen a lot of ignorance in people my age as well.

17. Saint Otaku

Very insightful with the cognitive dissonance reasoning. However, I wouldn't classify transgender issues as "passive problems"--while not nearly as widely covered in media as the Queer sexual orientations, people seem, to me, to be even more polarized concerning transgender people, as is evidenced in a greater lack of protections for gender expression than sexual orientation.

In my experience, cisgender allies are heavily influenced by the religious far-right here in the south. I find a consistent correlation in friends who are nonreligious with a higher tolerance of all Queer people, and vice versa with religious allies (or tolerant religious friends.) So yes, I would say the worldview constructed on the foundation of evangelical and traditional Christianity is a, if not "the most," pervasive problem in the US and elsewhere for all Queer people, especially transgender people.