1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autism.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Ok, so a family friend who I consider a mom, (as some of you know, I have 2 other people I consider moms, and all of their family part of my family), and she posted a bulletin on myspace that made me mad at people in general. As last I checked you can't trace bulletins back via google search, Here's what it said. (with some grammar editing <_<)

Ok, so I read it and was pissed, I know it had happened in the past (A summer camp had told them their foster kids could go, but he couldn't, and if I recall it correctly, they said they wouldn't go to a camp that wouldn't let their brother attend. He's like my younger brother, I've known him since he was born. Most of the time I forget he's autistic, yes, he has temper tantrums, but what kid doesn't, yes they're bigger tantrums, but who cares? He does some things at times you just have to wonder "What was he thinking?" but then you realize you've done things just as weird in the past. (Like when he came down the hallways carrying our cat by her tail... we petted her for like 4 hours afterward cause she was hurting >_<) But he learned, just like everyone else learns. So naturally, when I read that people had been harassing and accusing her of doing something to make him autistic, I just wanted to run to her house. (I didn't, cause I'm sick atm, and she'd get mad I was out when it's this cold <_<)

I had an autistic classmate my senior year in my cooking class. Everyone treated him bad and I felt bad because I know what he goes through, and how he thinks, so I would make a habit of trying to help him, as he was in my group for cooking. The rest of my group refused to let him (and me) do anything but wash dishes, and I would make a habit to tell them he could do something else, I don't care what I do, as I'm fine, but he's here to learn, and unlike me, it isn't easy to learn just by watching for him.

Anyways, I'm just curious, what is everyone's opinion on things like this? I know it's a very sensitive subject, but are you one of those people who do think "How can the parents put up with it" or "What did they do to him" or are you the type of person that acknowledges just because someone has autism, doesn't mean they're braindead?

Sorry, just needed to get this off my chest, and I seriously am curious as to how people feeling about Autism on EC.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Somebody must be really stupid to actually believe a parent did something to make their child autistic. That is crazy! If I was her I'd be angry too!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be worse. One radio talk show host recently announced on his show that "at least 99% of kids who diagnosed with autism are just lacking a father strong enough to tell their kids they can't get away with crap."

One can only hope he never has a child with autism. Although, presumably that kid will be in that rare one percent.

Lex

4. musicgirl112233

That really sad.

There was this guy at school who had autism or something like that and he would always walk by himself after lunch. So one day i asked him if he wanted to walk with my friends and I. so everday he would walk with us and one day this girl in my class and her friends gave us the look of hell. I got so pissed I went over there and cussed her out and she never bothered us about it again.

5. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

I heard about that Host today in the paper about Autistic children and airplanes. The article mentioned a 2 year old boy and her mother were removed from a plane for her child screaming. With all the coverage Autism has been getting these past 3-5 years I would hope people would be more educated about things like this. Heres a link to an article, but its not the one i read.
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/Story?id=5238571&page=1

6. Malchik89

This just shows how ignorance comes in all shapes and forms. So sad that someone would accuse a parent of doing something to give their child a psychological disorder that they are born with.

I learned some things about Autism in my Psychology class. My teacher told of when he used to work at a junior high school and there was this autistic boy who wasn't hard to handle, except when he was having tantrums. Tantrums that required my teacher and three other adults to restrain him (apparently he wasnt that big of a kid). Also another time when he had a tantrum because he missed his bus, he started smacking his head against the black top ground with his head bleeding and he didnt even feel the pain.

However, some things of Autism i find fascinating are the savant side, meaning the genius sides. If any of you have seen "Rain Man" this will make sense. Where a person could have all the negative traits of autism, but have this one skill or sense of knowledge thats like genius and prodigy worthy. For instance, there was this autistic girl that we learned about and she had no idea how to play the piano. However, when she heard a song on the piano being played, she could copy and play it exactly. Its amazing. This really wants to make me study autisum even more.

7. interstella

I saw this program about this blind autistic guy who would hear a song on the piano and play of exactly right after only hearing it one time... Did anyone else see that program? It was on about a year ago on channel 4 in the uk...