1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overseas Vacation~

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Okiagari, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Okiagari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello~

I'm planning an overseas vacation as I'm turning 21 in September.
    My only problem is I have no clue where to go! I have chosen 5 places I want to visit and need to decide on just one.

Here are my 5 choices:

1. Japan
    2. USA
    3. Romania
    4. South Korea
    5. UK

Any ideas where I should or shouldn't go and why or why not?
    I'd like to hear from people who either live in these places or have been there, however, I'll welcome anyone wanting to talk about these places in general~

2. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanna do 1 and 4 too so I have a bias for those.
    America is huge... What about a gap year to travel around the states and visit those other destinations too?

3. Okiagari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1 and 4 would definitely be an amazing experience cause of the massive culture shock.
    Indeed, USA is massive but I'd only go to certain states depending on a few things.

I'd love to travel to all of these places eventually but it's so expensive so I can choose just one for now :astonished: I mean, I could probably do Japan and South Korea in the same trip but I also want enough time to do and see as much as possible. If I had my way, I'd spend at least a month in each.

4. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell me about it! Lol.
    No offence but it seems a waste to come all this way to check out Romania and miss out on some other amazing destinations on the continent.
    With that in mind I guess come to the UK? Lots of history, I do love England, but it's not cheap. :angry:

5. robclem21

Those are all vastly, vastly different, so maybe figure out what you want out of this trip before people can give you good advice...

6. Butterfly72

I am in the UK, what do you want to know? Depends what you are looking for really.

7. Straw_berry

Overseas...Hmm...I really want to go to Japan, Germany, Iceland, Scotland, Switzerland, Australia, and everywhere else Nyu~

8. Okiagari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose Romania cause it's part of my background and I'd like to see where my family came from aside from England and Ireland~
    I know what you mean, AU is also really expensive. Not as expensive as UK but still xD

I'm not really looking for anything specific for the trip. These are just places I want to go. All I'm looking for is something different to what I'm used to, a new experience of sorts~

9. Agaetis Byrjun

Yeah, it depends what you want to do. Here in the US I'm partial to places like Texas, Colorado, and Utah, the national parks there, the mountains, the camping and mountain biking, that kind of stuff. Some of the most beautiful places in the world. Austin, TX also has tons of amazing restaurants, including more vegan restaurants than I had ever seen in one place before, fantastic breakfast tacos, and some pretty fun music and nightlife.

10. Turkishtowel

I live in japan and I would totally recommend it but you chose already so maybe next time?! Japan is really cultural so I guess it would be a really interesting experience!! There are so many places to visit here too!
    If you were ever to come, I recommend going out somewhere in the country at one point because watching people work out in the rice fields and stuff just feels really japanese to me... I dunno though...
    Where would you want to go if you were to come to japan?

11. Okiagari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    USA would be a really exciting trip, my only worry is safety. I know it's cliche and it's probably not as scary as people make it out to be. I'd want a fairly LGBT friendly state(s) to visit~

Sorry, I didn't choose Romania, I was just giving a reason why I chose it for a possibility xD I didn't explain it well enough. Hmm places.in Japan that I'd like to see? Tokyo is a must! I would also like to Kyoto, Osaka and as you said, the countryside somewhere~ is there a certain time of year you'd recommend?

12. Turkishtowel

Umm well I would recommend every time other than summer because it gets really humid and hot over here and that's just icky. :frowning2:
    All the places you listed are full of stuff to do so I think it would be really fun.
    If there is one thing bad about japan it's that it's a pretty narrow minded country and doesn't really have any gay rights. Otherwise, not so bad!

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't have plenty of family to visit in Romania, it won't be worth it as a link to your family; you'll just do regular tourist things.

Japan would be fun, but unless you have someone with you who knows the culture well, you'll feel like you've been thrown in the deep end (same for Romania), and will be more comfortable in an Anglosphere place like the UK or the US. If you don't speak Romanian or Japanese, you may struggle, or at least not enjoy it as much as you could, in either.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UK has history, tradition, culture and architecture on its side and some areas of outstanding scenery and beauty if you are prepared to leave London. As a fairly small country you can travel around and see an awful lot in a very short space of time - you could leave London in the morning and find yourself walking or hiking in one of the national parks or rural counties in the afternoon. Alternatively, you could go further north to Scotland within the same day.

15. Okiagari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @ Turkishtowel - I would agree with that xD Summer is my least favourite season~ Fall and winter are probably best for me :slight_smile: While they don't have much to do with gay rights, it is generally a very safe place from what I hear, so it's not a big issue.

@ Aussie792 - I think you're right. If I were going to see family, I'd be better off going to England or Ireland as I have a lot of family there. My goal is not to see family though, just where I come from.
    As for Japan, my Japanese isn't amazing, however it is full of things I am interested in and I like how respectful the culture can be as opposed to US/UK/AU. I'm sure we can all agree that in these 3 places most people have no problem speaking up if they don't like something whether it affects them or not, however there are also a huge amount of people who are quite the opposite too.

@ Linco - indeed, my mother's side is mostly English and Irish. my grandmother returned there recently and told me many stories. One of my Mother's favourite things in UK are the old castles and things like that which I also believe would be amazing and the scenery on top of that would be breathtaking I think~

16. Im Just Me

I vote Japan. I'm going there this summer, for the second time, and it's amazing. So much to do, and just all-around a really cool and unique country. One of the most modern AND most traditional, all at once! I love traveling, but ever since going to Japan, if I get money for a vacation, I feel like it'd be a waste to not use it to go back there xD
    If you want a more detailed opinion or ideas on what to do or if you have any questions, leave a wall comment or shoot me a message. :slight_smile: