1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did anyone else get really lucky about coming out?...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 101DeadRoses, Apr 8, 2014.

1. 101DeadRoses

I feel guilty.

I hear about kids (and adults) all the time whose parents and families were positively nasty to them about being gay. My Mom and Dad, in fact, everyone I've told have been so kind and accepting, even my Grandma.

I just feel guilty because I have such a kind family.

I just wish that everyone had the same good fortune I did in coming out, and that they had the same kind of love, acceptance and support I did.

My Dad and I even check out girls together.

Soo.. anyone else get lucky? If you didn't, know I'm not gloating. I really do feel sorry that you had that experience and I am really sorry that I can't share my family and good luck. :icon_sad:

Hugs (*hug*)

2. Foxface

I was very lucky

most people I came out to actually said..."well duh"

And my mother was very kind and asked many questions

#2 Foxface, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jesus no...

4. IsThisAName

I've been fairly lucky. My mom has said some pretty hurtful things due to ignorance on what it means/what it's like to be LGBTQ, but I think a lot of it is just her trying to wrap her head around neither of her daughters being straight, and she is getting a lot better about it. Plus she has made it very clear that she will love and accept my sister and I no matter what and that she doesn't care who we love.

My dad has said a couple dumb things, but for the most part he is doing very very well, and he talks to me and my sister about girls a lot, which I find slightly creepy but I think he's just happy to have someone to talk about chicks with, ha. He even said he'd be more comfortable with either of us dating a girl instead of a guy cause he doesn't trust guys as much. So I've been very lucky, and I really hate that some people have to go through so much just for being who they are.

5. Beetle

I never came out to mine. I probably will tell them this year, as I'm on my own for good, and they couldn't do anything about it like kick me out. But I would hate to think they'd "disown" me in some way. My parents aren't religious, but my mom is a pretty hard conservative. Angry, actually.

6. Kenaria

Almost everyone I've told (and there's quite a few...) have been accepting, my father sort of denies it and says "You're young, you're just confused" but I don't even bring it up around him anymore. My mother, Aunt, Cousins, Friends, etc. were all very accepting (except a few friends but they're ok with it now)

There was a little drama, but it's better now :slight_smile:

7. 101DeadRoses

Hope things go well!

8. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been very fortunate. My family's view is if you truly love someone you accept and love them for who they are. I love my family, I'm very grateful for them. :slight_smile:

9. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've also been for very fortunate to have such an amazing/accepting family. I can talk to my brother about women, and he's usually the one who initiates those types of conversations if you know what I mean :wink:

My sister, however, treated me like a plague for a while, but she's cool about me liking women now.

10. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been very lucky, and I know what you mean about feeling guilty. One of my friends came out to his dad and brother and they've been assholes about it. I've heard them say homophobic shit in front of him like it's nothing.

11. 101DeadRoses

I heard that one kid came out to his parents and his mom started stuffing pills in her mouth right in front of him because she would rather die than have a gay son.

Pretty depressing.

If you see that guy, send him hugs, he needs them.

Love to everyone (&&&)

12. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Still haven't really come out to mine after 25 years. (Mom only knows I like wearing women's clothing, which she seems to have blocked out of her mind, in any event.) Trying to prolong the inevitable rift that is guaranteed to result once I do. I know I'll get the obligatory "we still love you and will accept you no matter what" bit from them, but right on its heels the preaching and guilting will start, not to mention the doubting of my faith, which is the single thing more guaranteed to drive me away than anything.

So, answer at this point is "not bloody likely".

13. Niko

I was very lucky. I knew my parents/family were open-minded about gays and what not, but they were very close minded about transpeople and said a lot of transphobic things prior to coming out. But now that I'm out they stopped their comments and are trying to make me as comfortable as possible, by buying me guys clothing and stuff.

I feel for those who aren't so lucky though. :frowning2:

14. Jwis

Yes I have been pretty lucky. I have come to terms with telling people and having it be pretty anticlimactic. I expected it to be a much bigger deal that it was, makes me wish I would have done it sooner.

My parents have been very accepting, so have the friends that I have told (most of them, there are still a few friends I need to tell). A few of them even did the typical "Well no shit, Sherlock" response.

The only ones I am not to excited about are the extended family. They are the fire and brimstone Catholics... So yeah... I've heard them say very homophobic things in the past, and by the past I mean our last family gathering.

I'll cross that bridge when it comes, but you know what? I have such a good support structure in place that, while concerned, I know I will be able to handle it just fine.

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly why I don't intend to ever tell my family.

I love you... But not that. Not my son.

16. 101DeadRoses

My grandpa is homophobic, racist, and all those other nasty things. He even beat my dad when he was little. General a$$hole. Which is why I haven't told him I'm gay yet. Luckily he lives in NJ so... but he's not gonna be happy if I marry a black woman. Another plus!

17. AKTodd

My mom took a little time to get used to the idea, but was never going to be anything but supportive given the way she raised me. That raising also included putting being true to myself before pretty much anything else so her (or anyone else) being supportive was a nice to have, not a requirement.

Nearly all the rest of my family knows and has for years and have been totally supportive.

My friends and co-workers have all been either supportive or indifferent with one exception - and he got over it.

Todd

18. timo

Yes, I did. Even though I only started coming out at 21, I consider myself lucky. My friends were either "yeah, we know, about fucking time you did too" or "oh okay, cool". I haven't told my parents because I don't like to have awkward conversations with them, but I'm 92% certain they already know but don't care. My mum hints to it every now and then.

19. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

(*hug*)

20. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Happy to say that i was lucky when i came out. Since then my family and relatives never meddled with my life again lol