1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone from the UK on here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hey

Where are my UK peeps?

So I'm just interested in knowing what it's like being gay in the area that you live in. I generally think UK on a whole is very accepting of the LGTB community. Of course there will be those who are still against it but in terms of the bigger picture... It's quite alright.

For me, I'm a Sunderland lad and it's an alright place. The gay scene is pretty crappy though as there no social groups to go to and most of it is just clubbing which is not everyone's cup of tea.

So then... What's the place where you live like?

2. Yosia

Im a uk person too and i feel it is generally accepting in most parts but there is some places where i feel i would never go because of how much people are homophobic >.<

3. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the UK. I live north east of Birmingham. The town I live in doesn't have any active LGBTQA community, but it's a pretty good town. Everyone here is pretty accepting to my knowledge and we also have quite low crime and such things.

If you go to Birmingham, there is a much bigger LGBTQA community. There is the LGBT centre and the gay village.

Happy days :slight_smile:

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Loads of people from the UK on here. I'm one of them!

Attitudes are getting better across the country, but there are still places where it's not great to be LGBT. I live in a mostly rural county, so I can't say it's great here - there is no real sense of community and you have to travel out of area to find a LGBT bar/club (if that's what you're into).

Think the big cities with Universities are the best areas.

5. An0n

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from London (, not central though, I'm not rich).

I've never really encountered any problems, but I have partial hearing loss in both ears so can miss a lot. My ex has acute hearing and always heard crap here in London. She'd get mad and I'd get a b*llocking.
    Even now when she's with other women, "I really like how she shows affection in public." Urm, you stopped holding my hand because other ppl would make remarks, and as for kissing, no problem, but I think making out/heavy petting should be reserved for behind closed doors.

Funny thing, my friends don't hear/experience homophobia, always the ex. *shrugs*

6. Axxel

Axxel Guest

I live in a very rough area. Oddly, people aren't given to discrimination here at all. If you piss them off they'll throw a brick through your window no matter what your sexual orientation or gender.

7. hazza

Currently in Australia, but emigrating to the UK in just over 5 weeks. I'll be in Berkshire initially for a few weeks before moving up to Glasgow late-June/early-July. I was in Glasgow last September for a few days but didn't really go out to any of the gay clubs/bars at night as I was staying 45 minutes away by train. I'd say that the West End probably has a better attitude towards LGBT people than other areas just from my short time there, but I'm looking forwards to seeing what it is like in the rest of the city.

8. BornAnew

ALLOOOO!!!

Well I'm in Cornwall for now and people here consider themselves separate from the rest of the UK! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not much of a gay scene AT ALL down here I'm afraid. Not in my town anyway. They have a youth group & a gay bar but honestly it's not that great. I was in the Exeter area before this year & it was better there. I found that Exeter could be slightly homophobic, whenever me my ex used to walk hand in hand we'd definitely get some not nice looks or comments :frowning2: ..but on the whole it was okay!

Oh and they don't have a Morrisons down here, and I haven't seen an Asda yet! I'm a midlands boy so I need those stores lol!

Can't wait to move to London once uni finishes!

9. Cass

I used to live on a US Air Force base in England
    Lakenheath I think
    I kinda miss England
    I sometimes think it'd be at least a LITTLE easier than here in West Virginia

10. Joelouis

Lakenheath was the airbase we used to visit when I was in the Army Cadets. I think the F1-11's took off from there on their way to bomb Libya back in 85/86.

The UK is on the whole much more accepting of any race/religion or sexuality than most places. When you do encounter hostility, it's usually from I group that have to act "manly" so that their peers don't think they're interested in LGBT issues. The aggressor is probably hiding a desire somewhat.

11. TheStudent

TheStudent Guest

I was born in England and lived there for the first 18 months of my life but then I moved to Catalonia (Spain for now) with my family and have been here ever since so I'm not THAT English but still.

12. Yosia

I have always wanted to move to a wall of corn~ I go on holiday there much and its beautiful!! And i really want to live there when i do raise a family ^.^

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm here :smilewave

14. Julieno

I am living in sheffield. Loads of young people and really lively. There are just a couple of gay venues and university clubbing nights, so not the biggest gay scene. Anyway people here is really friendly and I won't really feel uncomfortable with my (imaginary for now:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) boyfriend in any non-scene bar. Also there are one LGBT groups on each of the two unis, as well as some non student groups.

I previously lived in London, obviously it has a really big scene but is more difficult to make friends (in a general sense).

15. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    UK citizen reporting for duty.

16. AAASAS

I am from the U.K in the sense that my Nana was born there, that's about it.

17. Dented

East Midlands (Northampton to be exact). Yay...

18. Hexagon

I live in the UK, yes.

19. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm Scottish, and most people are pretty open-minded, but I live rural, so sometimes it can be bad.

20. ZenMusic

I'm from London originally, but I live in a chavland-like place called Middelsbrough now. It's in the North-East of England, and it's mostly ok here, but are still homophobes.