1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question About Hair and Butch Presentation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musicgirl18, Apr 9, 2014.

1. musicgirl18

Alright gals, guys, and everyone in between, I have a very serious (see: not terribly serious but what's been on my mind for a while) question for you.

A little backstory first: I have had relatively longish (usually about to my shoulders or just past) hair all of my life. If you flip through a scrapbook of my like there would only be a few very small differences in my hair. Colour, bangs, no bangs, side of part, things like that.

Basically, I've always hated my hair, but never really did anything big to it because I never felt any point to it.

However, the summer before last, I went to get a trim and the lady accidentally cut off way more than she meant to (see my profile pic right now) and I loved it! But my mom didn't and she made me grow it out. I didn't see any point in arguing with her and just let it go. But, for the last year or so now, every time I look in the mirror, I wish that I could grab a pair of scissors and just lop it all off.

Now, for those of you who are still reading this, here's the question. Should I get my haircut even though my mother does not want me to, and be happier about my hair or should I just let it go until I move out. Also, do you feel like short hair is a perquisite for butch presentation or not? I've always preferred to be more masculine (another thing that my mother hates) and Honestly, I wish I could dress in boy clothes all the time, but I don't want to be a boy, I like my boobs and my vagina. :grin:

If you managed to read through all that, I would love any comments or suggestions. Or anything really. I want to talk to people!!!

2. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cut your hair. If you don't want to argue with your mother about it then just put a piece of gum in your hair and freak out in front of her about having to cut it all off now, because of this tragic accident. Good luck :icon_bigg

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Maybe you can talk to your mother about your hair and the way you would like it.
    But make sure you can cut it off if you're feeling better with this.
    I've hated my hair always and then i let it cut off. Now I still hate it but I like my haircut:slight_smile:
    Dress the way you would like to. I see no problem in that.
    I've got short hair too and sometimes I'm wearing a bit masculine clothes but just cause they are comfortable. And I also don't wanna be a boy.
    Just be yourself and dress the way you want to.:slight_smile:
    Hope this helped and if you wanna talk, feel free to contact me:slight_smile:

4. musicgirl18

Thanks Nikidion and CharlsOn for your suggestions and support. I really appreciate it. Nikidion, I loved your gum comment, it made me laugh. :grin: CharlsOn I was really really thankful for your comment, just to see that other people get it too. Of course, that's why I love this site so much at all! :grin: Anywho, thank you!

5. AAASAS

Well long hair isn't stereotypically masculine unless your Fabio

6. musicgirl18

Well, I know one thing WooEEE, I'm definitely Faaabulous! :grin: :wink: Uh, okay, so I did attempt to talk to my parents. I explained how I really really dislike my hair the way it is, and how I have always felt uncomfortable with it being long. And basically, they shut me down. They did not give me a real reason why they did not want me to cut my hair, other than, "well, we like your hair, we think it's pretty." Ugh. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So that plan tanked and I am honestly considering the gum idea, like really. But, I'm afraid that I would stick it too close to my scalp, and I don't want my hair that short because I have very fine hair and it would look like I am balding. Ugh. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So many complications.

7. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's a bit ridiculous that your parents are policing your haircut. You're almost a legal adult. You're at the age where you're expected to make huge decisions which will impact your entire future and set the groundwork for the rest of your life, but you can't be trusted to decide how you want to style your hair? That's silly. It's your hair, not theirs, anyway.

I don't know your parents, so I can't predict how they would react, but if it were me, I would just go get it cut. Of course, if you know your parents will react with more than just an argument, you might want to try talking to them again first. I don't want to advise you to do something that would put you in danger or something.

Maybe you could find some pictures of shorter haircuts that you like and explain why you like them? Ask your parents again specifically what would be wrong with a shorter haircut. And if you want to avoid an argument, perhaps you could try asking your mother to help you choose a style. That way she would feel that she's still involved and her opinions aren't being dismissed, but you still could get a shorter style that makes you happier.

Good luck!