1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think of yourself as empathetic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you feel like you are empathetic to others feelings or are you generally indifferent? Do you accurately gauge how others are feeling even if they are not outwardly showing it to a high degree or do you tend to not notice unless someone tells you.

I'm also curious if this varies between people you have different relationships with.

Here's my personal experience. I always thought of my self as very empathetic. If some one is sad, I nearly burst into tears myself. If someone is happy, I feel the need to laugh along and if their angry I get all bothered myself. It almost as if their emotions are being washed through me.

I also found that this was more so with people close to me. For example, my wife at the time, I could almost tell what she was feeling all the time and my moods sometimes reflected that.

So how about you guys?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think I'm empathetic because from a little kid to an adult i can tell peoples mood with out them telling me how they feel but another weird thing about me is I can talk to some one for a few hours or even days and already figure out what type of person they are and what makes them tick and how they think . It actually help me beat and out smart people in a card game I played online because base on the person's personality I always figured how they would play their cards and they would ask me how did I know what they were gonna do . I can even do that in real life . Maybe I should have played professional cards :confused:

3. LostAndAffraid

I consider myself very empathetic, I can always tell what the people I'm around are feeling, it's sort of a curse and a blessing. Where it makes you wanna cry along with them at times it also makes you angry enough to fight at others.

4. ZenMusic

I'm an actor, so I kind of have to be, but I am naturally empathetic.

5. Sarcastic Luck

I'm fairly indifferent and have a very hard time telling people's emotions unless they're pretty obvious.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always try to put myself into other people's shoes first. I've been told I'm pretty empathetic.

7. Emulator

Depends on the situation. Most of the time I think I have a rough idea of their feelings, but then I find out that I don't know what they're really thinking...

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if it's one of those things you can really judge about yourself. I like to think so and other people have told me so.

9. Nikky DoUrden

Its funny because during life I thought about it a lot and I think I am, even in Player-vs-Player video games I tend to see how people feel and use it to my advantage, especially in guild wars when I used to play it ^^
    Maybe we have more empathy for others because we are gay dunno :confused:

10. Foxface

Absolutely. I can read people pretty quick...good thing since I am a therapist right? lol

11. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I dont know about empathetic, but I think im good at observing.

12. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Extremely so. To the point of almost feeling as if I am living the other person's life for them. Since the typical reaction to this is suspicion and resentment, I'd say it's definitely possible to have too much empathy. (Fortunately, I think I'm getting better at this.)

13. Cass

I am extremely empathetic. It's almost as if I feel the emotions of others rather than my own. It's even more so with people I am close to

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can analyze people and see what they are really thinking even though they don't want to admit it. When I surprise them with my insight they usually say "wow, you're right".

Also I have a lot of life experience, including school, relationships, gender issues, depression and anxiety and more.

So while sympathy anyone can have, I do believe I can empathize with a lot of people.

15. Butterfly72

I like to think I am but I do get it wrong sometimes. I am very sympathetic and this tends to get mixed up with empathy, but I am learning.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

extremely empathetic

17. CharlieChalk

I'd say I'm pretty good at observing. Like, no one really talks to me and such so I just kind a observe stuff and in turn that helps picking up in things.

18. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Observant? Yes.
    However, I can't really sympathize with people. I'm pretty indifferent to people's emotions. Furthermore, I have difficulties reading emotions unless it's obvious.

If you ask me to cheer you up, chances are I will fail and/or make things worse.

19. Stripe101

Empathetic? More like apathetic!

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, I'm terrible at reading emotions. Like... The worst.

20. Paisley

I am very empathetic. Maybe a little to much, as I don't tend to just sense others people feelings, but actually feel them myself. Empathy leaves really little room for sympathy though, at least for me.