1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you find?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you find at all that you get on better with LGBT people in general. Does having being LGBT in common, make you feel more connected with them like you have a better understanding of that person and you can relate better and feel more comfortable around them?

I'm not talking sexually or romantically of course, but in just mean in general contact. I wonder if it's a contributing factor in what draws us to engage in our own community (aside from supporting each other).

This is not to imply you don't get in with straight people of course. I'm just wondering if a similarity between us of something so integral to who we are, makes us bond closer to our group.

Your thoughts....

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Cass

Not really because a lot of times they judge me for other reasons

Don't get me wrong I have friends in the lgbt community
    But I'd say my friends are evenly decided among straight and not straight

I just get along with people who didn't judge me

3. AlamoCity

Well, in college, I had gay "acquaintances" but not friends. They tended to be more of the "out and about" and flamboyant kind and seemed to have different values than I did. For some reason, I never really "clicked" with them.

I'm not sure how this will play out in the future as I come out to others and maybe one day have real gay friends, but I suspect that having only the link of being LGBT is not enough to form a meaningful bond. But, maybe I'm saying this because I haven't experienced meeting and having LGBT friends.

4. IsThisAName

Sometimes, but there have been some exceptions of course. I've had some bad experiences clashing with gay guys, but I get along great with lesbians and I do have a couple guy friends who are gay that I totally click with. I have more straight friends than LGBT friends really, and I get along with most of them great.

5. Projectfabulous

Sometimes I do but, but I wouldn't say more so than others. There are lgbt people as well non-lgbt people with whom I don't get along with. However, I would agree that sometimes it does help as a connection between someone else as it makes it easier for you two to understand certain aspects of each other's lives.

6. Colours

Not really. I get along great with my friends and they're straight (with one being bisexual), and have never felt much more connected with lgbt people and/or felt the need to have lgbt friends.

7. Opture

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I think it's easier for me to have stronger friendships/connections with LGBTQ people right off the bat, because I just feel more comfortable with them right away since we have stuff in common. But overall I don't think I necessarily get along with them better than non-LGBTQ people

8. Nikky DoUrden

My only experience with LGTB ppl is online (mostly here on EC) and ye I feel a "connection" between u guys more than to anyone else! (*hug*)
    I'm also in the closet so here I can be myself, or at least as much as I allow it on a public forum and all :grin:

9. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes it's nice to know we have something in common, but usually it doesn't affect my friendship with a person whether they're LGBT or not.

There are definitely some people I don't get along well with in the LGBT community.

10. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

OMG, I don't seem to hardly get along with most straight people at all. At least the ones under 50 years old or so, lol. Seems like they're always out to prove something or are overly protective of their vulnerabilities. My school is full of queer people and I feel more and more at home there all the time. I wish I could attend full-time. :frowning2:

11. justjade

Depends on what the person in question is like, just like with anyone else. However, I will admit that in general, I don't get along too well with lesbians. The ones I have actually met rub me the wrong way somewhat, possibly because they see me as, well, a lesbian, which I am not. Then explaining myself gets all awkward and shit.

"Oh, so you're butch, right?"

"Um....no, not really."

"You look boyish. You must like girls, right?"

"No, madame, I am gay."

"So....you like girls?"

"....No. I mean, yes, but....no. Why are we talking about this?!"

But then again, almost everyone I've met seems to think that transmasculine is synonymous with butch lesbian. Although, to be fair, I do live in West Virginia. Fucking stereotypes. :dry:

12. juliegt6

Honestly, I don't have a preference in regards to friends. If we click on common interests, as long as they aren't antilgbt, we're then friends.

Where I'm at, we just don't have a huge queer community, and I'm not really running in those circles anyway. I work with old fogies as a computer programmer and all of them are straight men.

13. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I have a lot of good chemistry with all people in general... except that one guy. Most of my closest friends have come out to me as LGBT which is strange as it just sort of happened that a whole network of friends ended up being LGBT without any of us knowing... but that one guy (who's still an awesome friend!) My subconscious gaydar must have been going off saying, "Away my people need me!" To answer the question though, I suppose so, but then again I am just as comfortable talking about it with my straight friends.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kind of, kind of not. I've noticed a lot of judgment from the community and it's troubling sometimes.

15. Kat 5

I can be myself here. People here are just... colorful. Colorful people are cool people.

16. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm intrigued with the answers so far as they haven't been along the lines of what I thought they would. Which is good, I like to discover things to be different to how I thought they may be (not that I like to have preconceptions, but sometimes you can expect a general theme).

Keep them coming guys,

Happy days :slight_smile:

17. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm extremely awkward around most people regardless of their sexuality.