1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are your thoughts on existential nihilism? That is, that life and existence has no intrinsic meaning.

I mean, if the universe is an entirely natural phenomenon, which science would seem to point to, then it just "is" and doesn't have any purpose but just exists because it exists.

Do you think that this can actually be viewed as a positive position because it grants us as beings, the ability and desire to create out own value and purpose to life?

Hope this isn't to heavy a topic for a Friday morning (UK time that is)

Your thought my friends....

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it difficult to imagine that their is a 'point' to life and existence, in fact to do so I would have to accept some sort of deity because science just doesn't work that way.

The thing I find with this is that I know a lot of idiots who really don't know what they are talking about who assume that if you accept life has no meaning or reason you must also accept that there is no reason to be moral.

It bothers me intensely when I hear this line of argument. Just because life itself doesn't have a meaning doesn't mean I can't find one, and it certainly doesn't mean I can't be good.

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I like this thread :slight_smile:

Hmm.. I always thought "What is the purpose of our existence?" The Universe is so infinite.. How did the Human Race find purpose?? How did we start thinking for ourselves.. We work, get paid, have a family.. Is that it??

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally get what you are saying here. I find the origin of morality another interesting topic and I agree that existence having no intrinsic meaning does not mean there is no need for morality. After all if we follow the principle of life is preferable to death, health preferable to ill health and happiness preferable to sadness (to name a few) and appreciate that we all share this world, it can been seen it is most beneficial if we all get along and soit is not hard to see where morality can arise.

Happy days :slight_smile:

5. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's no real case to be made that there is a point to life, the universe and everything. I've often heard the expression "but there must be a point" in films and such, but then... why, exactly? Why does there always have to be a point which revolves around us? Even if there is one we sure as hell haven't found it. That's why everyone holds different values and beliefs and interests, they're all giving their own meaning to their own life. That's the best we've got. So, I can't see an intrinsic value to life. It's all relative.

In an objective sense morality has a tenuous existence as well. Whatever I do that's deemed right or wrong has no impact on the wellbeing of the universe as a whole. It's only right or wrong in the context of humanity. But like you say, happiness is preferable to sadness (for us), so even if morality is only a human construct it doesn't give me a philosophical excuse to be a d-bag to everyone.

6. Cass

Well, I personally am a Christian (although I have a few ideas and beliefs other Christians don't hold) so to me there is a point of life. I don't know what it is, but I believe there is one.

7. sanguine

I thought that was the whole point

you read any success story, even those 'how to get rich' kinda books and they all have that in common

its the difference between someone who's happy and someone who's miserable
    the difference between someone who's intelligent and someone who's wise

---------- Post added 11th Apr 2014 at 11:02 PM ----------

why does it bother you?
    its true btw, and it doesnt make you a bad person, it makes you a person with an opinion

8. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't believed that life has no meaning because if it is it would be boring. Life should have meaning whether it is uncertain because it what keeps us going. If it is has no meaning then people won't waste time searching for purpose, no reason to go beyond their limits and existence, worst is there's no reason to live for there's nothing to look forward to.

This is really quiet interesting and broad topic.. :slight_smile:

9. kem

kem

Collectively, our lives have no meaning. We are just one species on one planet in just one of countless solar systems spiralling closer the black hole in the middle of a galaxy which is also just one out of an infinite number of galaxies. An asteroid could destroy our entire civilisation and the universe wouldn't care. Life exists is by chance only and serves no specific purpose.

Of course, you could believe that God created the world in seven days and created man and woman terraforming four-dimensional aliens moulded the Earth to a habitable state and introduced cyanobacteria to that hot mess, eventually creating humans in hopes of using us as slaves. But, as per the Occam's razor, these theories require way too many assumptions, and therefore, probably aren't correct.

Our brain has developed to the extent that we can question our existence. As we've distanced ourselves from the natural state, we've lost our biological purpose: survive and procreate. So, I think we're free to use our life as we see fit, give it whatever meaning we want.

#9 kem, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014