1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Relationship dynamics

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Idun, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Idun

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ill start off by saying that I’m probably not going to be able to phrase this very well so anybody out there please don't take offense.

This is specifically about relationship dynamics.

I don't like to generalize but:
    In a hetero relationship society tend to apply gender specific roles to the man and the woman involved. I have always assumed that Gay or Lesbian couples don't have this particular problem in their relationships.

So onto the questions:

Gay or Lesbian:
    Do you feel that people/society expect you to have certain roles in your relationships?

Bisexual:
    If you are a bisexual man (Or vice versa if you are a bisexual woman):
    Do you feel that in a relationship with a woman you are expected to (or do you feel the need to) behave a certain way (expectations coming from either her or society) but not in a relationship with a man?

//Idun

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of the time - yes, people will wonder "Who's the man in your relationship?"
    My bf and I were just talking about this last night lmao, and this frustrates him so much. :lol:

It's not an entirely inaccurate stereotype because many gay relationships do have the typical gender roles, especially if one participant is more masculine and one is more feminine.
    Because those relationships are the ones that tend to get the most attention, that standard gets applied across the board for all homosexual relationships.
    Annoying, but understandable.

My bf and I don't really have any roles in our relationship, but we have different areas where we're more dominant in - He's physically dominant because I'm a diehard little spoon, I'm mentally dominant (most of the time) because I'm a tiny bit further ahead in life (college, etc.).
    There's no real 'woman' in our relationship. We're both pretty masculine.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes I do think people expect us to have gender roles when I was dating a girl long distance and told my friend she asked who was the man and who was the woman in the relationship and I said we're both women there is no man . :confused:
    My cousin got married he's gay and my mom says because he's femme he's the woman in the relationship she showed her friend pictures of the wedding and she made a joke saying well we know whose the woman

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He does the washing, I do the ironing (always wondered about that one)... he does some of the cleaning and cooking (because I can't cook), I do the gardening... he does the DIY, but I climb the ladders... he books holidays, I pay the bills... he fixes the computer (when I wreck it), but I do all the driving. We both walk the dogs :slight_smile:

I reckon that's a fairly equal set up.

5. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nobody has ever asked me anything related to gender roles in my relationships. And no, I do not feel that society expects anything from me. But then again - I live in London, one of the most multicultural and diverse places on the planet, of course people here aren't holding that many old fashioned beliefs.

#5 nikidion, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014