1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeless guy on freeway exit

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PalestrinaMX, Apr 11, 2014.

1. PalestrinaMX

So, everyday on my way to the university there is this man standing with a sign by the freeway exit. I feel so bad! One day he smiled and acknowledged me, and it made me feel even worse because I've never given him any money since he started around Feb or March. However I feel like if I give him money once that it would be so awkward to keep getting off on that exit and nothing giving him money each time. I'm literally thinking of finding a new way to school even if it means a longer commute because I feel horrible each time I see him :icon_sad:

I usually don't read his sign because I try not to look his way, but I did catch a glimpse of it today and it said he was a single dad with children (Can't remember how many, but I think 2) but the sign said something like "No food, please" So I guess he is just looking for cash to feed his children.

I know some people would probably see him a someone who just wants money for alcohol or something, but he doesn't strike me as the type. So, please don't judge him, it would make me feel so bad for people to think that of him, even though it is kind of odd.

2. Jay

Jay

Hi!

As someone who works with homeless adults and elders, keep in mind they're human first, just like you and I. They don't like to be seen as annoyances or as a burden, they usually stay out of your way unless you initiate a conversation. Do not feel bad for not giving him cash every time you get off on that exit, it's not a toll or a requirement.

You're doing right in assuming he is truthful to his story. Even if he doesn't look as someone who has a substance abuse issue, you should never question someone's decisions over the money you willfully give them, it's a charitable gift to a stranger, not your tax dollars.

If he smiles at you--smile back. Don't feel pressured into giving him any money. But he is human and as a human, he might appreciate being acknowledged.

3. Paisley

I agree with Jay. They're still people, and they most likely like the acknowledgement and wont assume you will give them money unless you call them over.

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There was a homeless man who used to sit near my bus stop a few years ago. I always gave him my bus change. It wasn't really very much but I made it a point to give it to him every day.

Jay is right. Especially about the fact that giving him money is your charitable gift, not something you're forced to do.