1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are gamers so homophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by micstar615, Apr 11, 2014.

1. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've noticed this trend and would like to discuss this with my fellow LGBT empty closet members. Gamers seem to be extremely homophobic (and even sexist and racist) every time there is an article about homosexuality, a gay character or even a gay narrative of an ambiguous character, the gaming community becomes so hateful. Even if you play online, there have been a ton of homophobia if you express a homosexual trait; a badge, a username, a picture etc. I love gaming but I can't stand going into gaming boards because I feel like I don't have a home there. What are your thoughts on this?

They also use some of the most bigoted reasons to defend themselves, such as "games aren't the place for sexuality and you don't need to broadcast it" even though if someone were to broadcast their heterosexuality in any way it wouldn't even be a big deal.

2. Niko

I've never eally noticed, probably because I don't game online. :/ There's just homophobes everywhere, it's quite sad really.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you play 360? we should play sometimes and kick some butt in COD or titanfall or gears,
    but for me i don't experience a lot of homophobia in gaming that much, it just might be where your connection of area might be. it really depends on how they express it. sometimes guys like to say it for the sake of endearment. others really mean it and get reported. for me if i hear something homophobic, i don't take it too seriously, just because they are not knowledgeable on topics like that. it's just the standard alpha male that let their pingas do the talking and not the brain. besides, guys that do that tend to suck at em =P , it'd be really nice if you can provide a few examples, i might be able to express my opinion more. regardless you might find an inch of homophobia everywhere
    if anything, it seems a bit more sexist.

4. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So true :/ it also bothers me when people say "homophobia is ok, people are entitled to their opinion" is that the case with racism and sexism too? Does having an opinion of them make them ok?

---------- Post added 11th Apr 2014 at 10:50 PM ----------

That's so true. And no, I'm more of a Nintendo guy actually :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I haven't experienced these issues myself but I see these opinions expressed on gaming forums and I've heard stories of gay people who play Xbox Online get harassed because of their username or whatnot, it just bothers me I suppose. I guess the world is just behind. It's not just gaming and it's not just homophobia :/ but sometimes I just wonder why people even are homophobic, what warrants it?

#4 micstar615, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. sanguine

depends on the game and the friends you play with.

all my friends know about me which is one of the main reasons and usually when someone gets really hateful, im very guilty of bullying lmao, its kinda fun though. omg I was way worst back in highschool during my CoD years.

but as of now, I dont get any kinda of homophobia, and some MMO's actually have lgbt guilds you can join which is pretty fun

as for gaming forums on different sites, I dont even bother with those

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    this happens a lot on one of the games I play you got bible beaters coming on there one tell you how to live , then the occasional straight guy hitting on me even if I let him I'm lesbian I actually have a straight guy friend that tells them to back off , she said he's gonna be my body guard from now on sad part is he has to make up a lie and say where engaged for them to back off .

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You speak truth. Gaming has a real white privileged heterosexist, misogyny shitbag problem.

Honestly, it's part of why I only really care about computer security anymore and don't really care about gaming...

8. Kat 5

Well. From what I've seen, 75% of the people with mic's are homophobic and 90% are racist assholes. And 60% of the racists are under 12 years old.

9. Niko

Apparently to those people yes. :dry: It's annoying. Like just get over yourself and leave people alone, it's just that simple. But no they must prove themselves to be better than you, because they fit to societies norm. I wouldn't worry about too much of the gaming homophobes. They're probably the stereotypical gamer anyways, in which that's all they do all day everyday, in their parents basement, and bully people behind a screen.

10. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AWWW alrighty. i bet i can kick your butt in super smash bros 64 :badgrin:
    it sucks that they get bashed like that because it's a bit undeserving really. i guess people make it too much of a statement about their sexuality, it tends to back up on them. from there on, you would think the gaming community would be a bit more open. i don't think gay people are the only victims, i guess females and race get the same treatment as well just because they stand out then the rest. the world is not too far behind, it could probably be caused by some damn hormonal teen who causes ruckus too much. people are always quick to hate something they don't understand or feel indifferent about it, i guess. i can't really say for sure. i can't explain homophobia as much, but it just warrants it to being a bigot. don't let it get the best of you, instead you can always make a stand.

11. Kat 5

All the homophobic gamers are just fat white kids who live in the attic/basement. And are all around assholes.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My guess is that they think that they can get away with saying stuff online since they are mostly anonymous and usually don't have to deal with the people that they are playing with on a day to day basis.

13. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most people are generally friendly. It depends on the servers you go to and the games you play, though. I'd assume most of the online bigots are around 7-10 years old. These kids get laughed off by the sane, rational people. Sexism is generally laughed off, as well. Like I said, YMMV. Find a friendly server, or make your own. Hopefully homophobic attitudes do not spread, because the gaming community is pretty damn shitty already.

14. Nikky DoUrden

I was in a guild, about 10 people, and only 1 was homophobic/annoying/stupid or any word u wanna name him, but he was really loud.... so when playing online u might notice more the homophobic guys because they are more loud.

And on boards I guess its kind of the same, and I may have two theories:
    1) they don't want to be seen as gay themselves so they give homophobic comments
    2) if its a competitive game (PVP), many like to win other people, thats kind of what u do in competitive game. So by attacking the gay post or w/e they want to feel "supreme" that way.

I never find it a problem though, I kick their arse in PVP anyway, let them troll and fail harder maybe that way they'll learn :grin:

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some math for you:

12 year olds + mask of anonymity behind an internet connection = racism and homophobia covered in a crisp candy shell

16. Hiems

This. It's not just 12 year olds though. There are teens and young adults, as evidenced by friends of friends, who throw slurs of all kinds ad nauseum.

From my experience, a lot of these people tend to be in competitive PvP-based games, e.g. third person shooters (S4 League), LoL, and the like.

17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I think its no different in reality to be honest, I've played with a lot of gay guys.. They just don't go telling people they're gay.. And a lot of the straight guys are cool with it.

18. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends on what games you play and what kind of community you're apart of. Typically I've never come across this as a gamer, most gaming boards/boards with videogame sections are pretty friendly an respectful to eachother in terms of some issues mentioned above.

I'm guessing you would probably find this kind of dredge in popular online (console or PC) games and boards made by teenagers who just say slurs to look cool. If I had to guess I would say that most of the poop that comes out of some gamers' mouth is just an attempt to look cool.

19. lukeluvznicki13

Most gamers get really aggressive and grumpy while playing games so they often shout out hate remarks because they lost a game or weren't as good as you :slight_smile:.

20. Cass

Gamers aren't any more homophobic as a whole than anyone else, especially on the Internet. The issue isn't that "gamers are homophobes) it's that the ones who actually say something are and it makes the rest of them look bad. I am a gamer and I do see some homophobia sexism an racism but I see that everywhere se too. Asking why gamers are homophobes is like asking why people anywhere are homophobes