1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion (what is this thing?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Apr 12, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So...

Um, I want to look less like I'm wearing the first things I find in a thrift store. But frankly, bit lost. Kind of missing out on whatever invisible 'how to be a man' handbook seems to be going around.

Basically, I want to look well dressed but I'm broke. And I want a general idea of what works well and what doesn't... See, I've been researching but still lost. Seems like what's in is either a couple hundred bucks for a fucking shirt or is just...ugly.

Like, look at this. Look at this fucker.

[​IMG]

That's apparently what guys in Europe are wearing this spring and... Is it just me or did his grandmother's closet throw up on him?

Anyone got resources? Or just general tips? I'm trying to look good but frankly, it's been slow going. I'm broke, chubby, and transsexual and frankly, that's like a nowhere man's land in clothes shopping.

...so, yeah.

2. kem

kem

What works well:
    1. Clothes that fit well, aren't too large but not tight either. It's common sense really, but clothes with a perfect fit are reeally tough to come by.
    2. Simple and conservative colour schemes.
    3. For men, small and checkered patterns.
    4. Dark jeans or black pants.
    5. A nice pair of shoes. I haven't really found a good pair at a thrift shop yet, but I've come close!
    You can't go wrong with these.

Then there are items such as that jacket. I think it's gorgeous and wish it was mine, but some might think it's ridiculous.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When an American company says it's what's "in" in Europe, you can bet that basically every European will have never worn it.

4. AlamoCity

I would say to stick to the classics: chinos, jeans, polo shirts, oxford shirts. Whatever that abomination above is, I have no clue. The only European thing I get for clothing is my suits because many American brands cut them too "boxy."

For men, it's suggested to buy clothes that fit "right" rather than baggy (especially if you're husky like me :lol:slight_smile: because baggy clothes will make you look bigger than you are. For guys that have bigger hips, I'm not certain how it would go because I have wider shoulders than hips.

A look you could try is to have a Tshirt tucked in to some pants and then wear an oxford or flannel shirt unbuttoned and untucked and it could potentially break the curves of your body (I mention this because I recall how you mentioned using your hoodie to cover some areas). Also, darker colors tend to obscure waistlines more (and can also potentially obscure any chest area issues more because light colors will show the folds of the fabric more).

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2014 at 03:04 AM ----------

:roflmao:

5. Praetor

Everyone has their own style, you have to find what works for you. Here's a few tips I've found out over the years...
    - Keep in mind weather. GET A GOOD COAT/JACKET. Being on the west coast means you have to deal with lots of wind and precipitation (I know from experience). Base your wardrobe around this coat/jacket. Popular styles include peacoat, trench coat, leather jacket, and denim jacket. I personally love my wool trench coat from Topman.
    - Don't forget the footwear. Most people mess this up. The shoe completes whatever you're wearing. For me, shoes are the most expensive bit of clothing I usually have on. The shoe should go with the coat. Popular styles other than standard sneakers which can work for the west coast right now include desert boot/chukkas, desert shoes, brogues, plimsolls, converse sneakers, and boat shoes. Of course some shoes mix and match these styles.
    - Figure out what type of jeans you like. I personally like slim straight or slim. Some people like regular. Others like skinny or carrot fit. Don't wear too skinny a jean if your leg is either really skinny or really big. I've had a lot of good luck with Levi's.
    - Keep in mind fabrics. Wool is good for insulation against the cold. Cotton is nice and breathable, especially important if you have sensitive skin.
    - Sales often occur at a lot of clothing places at certain times of the year to clear out old stock. Some stores do this all of the time. I've had a lot of luck with H&M, myself.
    - I avoid really bright "stand out" colours. These are really hard to match or compliment any other bit of clothing I'm wearing. Clothing fits better together when clothing colours are more subtle.
    - I avoid huge logos on my clothing. Partially because I hate being a walking advertisement, but also because it just looks gimmicky. Small logos should be preferred over big ones.
    - Just because it's a really nice brand doesn't mean a lot. Most clothing is made in the same type of factories. Go for what has good durability and quality, what is comfortable, and what fits the look you want.
    - Black shirts in general look best on athletic/muscular builds. If you're not that build, either try to avoid these shirts or layer them with something contrasting.

Some places with cheap(er) clothing: American Eagle, ASOS, Forever 21, H&M, Old Navy/The Gap, Topman, ZARA

There's probably more tips I could think of but I think that's a good place to start anyways :slight_smile:

6. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

What is this thing? :confused2:

lolwut?

Needless to say I didn't enter this thread to give advice. :wink: Good luck, Doc.

7. setnyx

either grandma's closet or maybe it's her drapes? lol.

8. TheUglyBarnacle

Not sure whether I am fashionable enough to give advice but I can talk about the trends I have noticed and what works for me (my hips are very wide).

-FIRST AND FOREMOST, wear what you like. We are trying to give you some suggestions but in the end, you'll look the best when you're doing your own thing and owning it. :wink:

-Unless the style of the garment is such, too baggy clothes should be avoided. A good-fitting piece of clothing makes a world of difference.

-Grunge style has made a sort of comeback lately. But in a more carefully disheveled way, if that makes sense. Don't overdo it, basically. Going for a (mildly) hipster look is in style.

-An unbuttoned plaid shirt over a t-shirt might be the typical lesbian look but I have passed with it a lot of times and it's not uncommon among guys, too. Make sure that the colours match but are not exactly the same. (I prefer colours like black, white and grey for the t-shirt inside as they are easy to match but the rest of my wardrobe is not too colourful either).

-Hoodies are always cool and they come in a variety of colours and styles.

-I shop mostly at the women's department for pants as my hips are too big for men's jeans to fit well everywhere else, too. The jeans that are "Boyfriend Style" are basically very similar to men's jeans (a loose fit and not embellished with girly details usually) but I can see why you would not want to shop there.

Ah, I have to go. I might add some other stuff later if I can come up with anything good.

Keep in mind, though, that in the end what you wear is what YOU like and think it represents you. Thrift stores have some neat items, actually.

As for the jacket, it isn't that hideous. I wouldn't wear it but that's just personal preference.