1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else here avoid discussing your sexuality with religious people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

After a few altercations with less than savoury religious types, I am pretty reluctant to let those types of people find about my orientation..

2. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes. My grandmother and aunt are religious. My mom tells me the best thing to do is not even try and mention it to them because they will just mention the bible. I am lost with this because sometimes I just want to stop hiding and tell them.

3. Simple Thoughts

I welcome religious people to give me their B.S.

I see it as an opportunity. I won't go out preaching about my sexuality or anything, but if the question comes up I definitely won't shy away from it. If someone wants to get on my case about who I'm attracted to I'll give them a piece of my mind.

4. Zelos

I've had this with a friend. I had just discovered I was bi and I used to tell all of my friends, and then she said to me that homosexuality is weird :grin: But other than that, she's a lovely person.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. If a religious person has irrational fears or feels hostility towards me THEY need to deal with it. There's no point in tip toeing around THEIR issues. They are wrong.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't talk about it with them they can say some pretty F up stuff .
    Most of them assume I am straight like them so they never question me

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your mum is wrong. If you want to tell you grandmother and aunt, you should. If they quote the Bible at you, let them - don't argue with them because it will not make a scrap of difference to the fact that they will be also be wrong in whatever they say. The Bible doesn't condemn gay, lesbian or trans people and it never has and God doesn't hate us.

Be strong and proud of who you are. Nobody needs protecting from us.

8. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I don't have to discuss it because it is plain as day I am not straight. I couldn't hide that if I tried. If they bring it up I am willing to talk about things if they can be sensible. Mostly I just avoid it though.

9. IsThisAName

I've purposely cut off the people I used to be friends with who we're religious and were against being gay. I did that before I even realized I was gay because even when I believed I was straight, I always hated homophobia. I miss those people sometimes and I've heard from others that they miss me, but now that I'm pretty sure I'm gay, I could never let them back into my life. Not all religious people are bad by any means, but the ones that I knew were poisonous and I am not letting that back into my life.

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. My roommate's gf is extremely Catholic and EXTREMELY judgmental; some of you on here have heard me refer to her as "Mother Superior." My roommate is also Catholic but much more live and let live, but I worry about telling him because of her influence on him.

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the person. I am religious, I was raised going to church. However, I still get nervous when think about telling people who are religious. I told one the staff members from church and the first couple of times that we talked about it, it did not go over very well. But we talked about it again this passed Thursday and it went over very well, I can't explain how well it went over. She still is not the hugest fan over it, but accepts and loves me for who I am and how I identify.

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest this had never come up for an issue here. Personally I don't really care if someone is religious or not. I will try and get along with anyone. If it comes up in conversation, I'm happy to talk to people about it. If they have a issue, then that's their problem. I'm not hiding or changing apart of myself just to suite them or to not hurt there poor little feelings.

Happy days :slight_smile:

13. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, which is why only 3 people know I'm gay.

I am surrounded by religion everywhere. My dad is a pastor, my extended family is extremely Christian and conservative, and I have one more year to get through a strict Christian college.

Once I am done with college (and living on my own), regardless of whether or not I have a job, I am just going to tell everyone I'm gay. I will probably make a status about it on my Facebook and defriend anyone who makes homophobic comments.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't discuss anything politics or religion with almost anyone

15. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you say "religious people", there are different types of religious people. Some believe in a God and a heaven or hell, but don't automatically think that if someone is gay that they are automatically going to hell, or that being gay is even a sin at all in Gods eyes. And the other end of the spectrum is the extreme fundamentalists, where every word of their bible or torah or Koran is to be taken literally. Within a short drive of my home, there is a place called the creation museum. Try arguing sexuality with people who think the world was literally created in six 24 hr days, cavemen lived with dinosaurs, and the entire universe is only 6000 yrs old (because their interpretation of their bible says so)

16. Kreiger

Just the stupid ones, which thankfully is certainly not all of them.

17. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same here, I tend not to discuss politics or religion with anyone except for people who are close to me where we can discuss such things without calling someone names.