1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think hate speech should be protected speech?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Techno Kid

When thinking about WBC and similar levels of hate speech.

I'm actually against the way Canada deals with WBC and other hate speech. The US has the right idea here.

Anyway, I take free speech to be something sacred. We should not use violence/the threat of violence or the law to silence what someone says that we don't agree with.

Don't get me wrong the WBC are a bunch of :***: but, we need to fight "bad" speech with "good" speech.

Hate speech is like the cainary in the mine shaft of free speech, if they can still say what they want than our speech is still safe.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would help keep our politics more civil. My boyfriend is from Canada and though he's really not political at all, when he read an editorial letter in the paper from a Tea Party member supporting the idea that all right-wingers should take their guns to Washington, DC and overthrow the government, he was shocked that it's legal to say that here. He told me that in Canada, if you openly supported a violent overthrow of the Canadian government, you'd probably be going to prison for a very long time.

3. Minamimoto_Fan

I think what would really punish them is to take away their tax exempt status because of their church's discrimatory stance as they're more of a hate group than an actual church. They can still say whatever they want, but their organization will no longer be exempt from taxes and that would probably be a bigger blow to them.

I agree that bad speech should be combated with good. A lot of people think freedom of speech means you can get away with saying whatever you want; all it does is protect you from the government punishing you for what was said.

Now, like what AG brought up with the tea party, if somebody is bringing up a movement to overthrow the government openly, that's treason and should be treated as such. In that sense, I do agree with Canada

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. No. No. No.

Never.

Fascists, racists, homophobes etc. should not get special protection for spewing hatred and harming others. I like how some laws are in Austria, Germany, and the Czech Republic; Fascism is heavily censored and illegal, and that should go for most similar speech and political beliefs.

The US does not protect free speech. The US harms millions of people with actively and passively censoring speech, has a history of stopping left-wing speech, but does nothing to prevent far-right hate groups from spewing their drivel. Even if the US were what you think it is, then that hate speech should still be banned. What that implies is that it's justified that in the US you can't speak out against companies without libel charges, but you can speak against the oppressed with dreadful hatred and digusting bigotry and have a legal blank cheque.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Heck No it shouldn't be protected

6. Techno Kid

Yeah I know that, but they do have a free speech culture, more than in Canada or the UK. Where we have things like University speakers being banned from talking to the audience when people already bought tickets to see them... I don't think that is fair..

We are so worried about people getting offended, even when it might not happen.

I do think that if you serve the public though that hate speech should be banned. But if you are an individual speaking your mind, I don't see the problem with that.

#6 Techno Kid, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, they do not. That's a ridiculous act of doublethink; to say that they don't, but they do. The US has a high tolerance for hatred and extremism (as long as it's right-wing), not for free speech.

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not free speech if we censor others, no matter how irrational, stupid, or inflammatory an opinion may be. Irrationality can be defeated with rationality. Stupidity can be defeated with intelligence. Legislation banning certain forms of speech could easily be abused. Besides, banning any sort of speech violates the First Amendment; its purpose is to prevent the government from silencing you (it does not, however, prevent people from telling you to "STFU n00b").

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2014 at 05:45 PM ----------

The Transsexual Empire was a book written by a left-wing radical feminist named Janice Raymond. It's a book full of hatred and personal attacks against others. I'd say it set the rights of transsexual people back by about a decade or two. Maybe more. Hate speech is nonpartisan; anyone could be guilty of it.

#8 An Gentleman, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  9. Techno Kid

I was saying that the US government really do not, but the people of the US themselves do (that's why I said a culture of free speech).

What would be the difference between those two things if one is free speech and one is not? Who makes that decision of what to ban?

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When the purpose of the speech is to cause deliberate harm, intimidation, or to incite hatred. It's easy to decide. In fact, most of Northern Europe and Oceania have done it to different extents without massive problems. And people like Geert Wilders still manage to speak.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hate speech is solely to inflict pain and to denigrate others.

So... no h8

[​IMG]

12. Ridiculous

No and this really is a non-issue in pretty much every western country that isn't the US. I'm not sure your country will ever grow up.

13. Techno Kid

You can't read a person's mind and tell what their intent is when they are saying something.

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2014 at 09:00 PM ----------

My country is Canada...

14. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty much on board with America's current policy on speech/hate speech, and the Supreme Court's decisions on the topic. Definitely not in favor of restricting it.

If you don't like what someone has to say, well, get over it (or blast them rhetorically back).

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, It's pretty damned easy. You listen to them and what they're saying. It's pretty easy to understand what even "subtle" bigots are saying. It's not like there's great nuance within Fascism, white supremacy, anti-Semitism etc.

16. Techno Kid

Fair enough, I'm just not comfortable with that kind of state control over speech I guess. It actually brings to mind fascism/authoritarianism for me.

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, because Sweden and Germany are the epitome of Neo-Facist states.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think those countries are as bad as far as politics go though. Every politician in the US seems to have an agenda, and it is not "the public good." They would not hesitate to use it to gain power over us.

19. Techno Kid

^ This

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But that's kind of the point. We're talking about hate speech. Banning hate speech doesn't open the door to banning political opposition. Banning white supremacism and Nazism doesn't open the door to dictatorship. That was totally unrelated, and I'll remind you that far more unstable countries have banned it without going into chaos.