1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should children be assigned a gender at birth?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Apr 12, 2014.

?

Should children be assigned gender at birth?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Other

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would preferably like the opinion of trans and non-binary/genderqueer people here.

The thread about what you'd name your child got me thinking; is it harmful to assign children a gender at birth, without regard for their inability to confirm or deny it? Is the harm done to non-cis kids by being misgendered damaging enough to necessitate not gendering children? Or would it be enough to remove gender roles, but not gender assignation?

What are your thoughts? I honestly don't know what I think about it.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose yes...

But we should allow children to express their gender much earlier and let them decide (without prejudice). It is for the best of the child at the start I agree. But when a boy wants to dress like a princess and engage in feminine behaviors let him. And a girl wants to play sports or with trucks and such, let her. Children should let themselves choose their life path.

We hear more and more about gender confusion in adolescents lately. It is time to address gender in society.

(I'm not mad or bitter, I just wish I was allowed to pursue this more when I was younger... My parents did have the right idea in mind for me at the time... But I had an inkling in high school and college, but for sure I grad school I started thinking more. But my point being is do not repress gender expression)

#2 Kasey, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  3. TraceElement

I think that sex should be assigned... vagina means girl, penis means boy. Gender though? No. Let kids be kids. If a boy wants to wear dresses, fine. If a girl wants to do monster trucks, fine.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't about gender roles, though. This is about gender itself, the use of pronouns, names etc. A cis-boy can love dresses and dolls and still be referred to with masculine pronouns and be a boy. This isn't about a superficial abolition of gender roles (which is definitely a necessity), this is about whether or not we should call small children boys or girls or give them all gender neutral lives from birth until they have an identity.

5. IsThisAName

If someone is trans*, the conflict between their biological sex and the gender they identify with emotionally will exist regardless of assigned gender. What needs to change is gender roles. I just went on a rant yesterday with my mom because of places like McDonalds using the terms "girl toy" and "boy toy" in their kids meals.

When I was a kid I went through a stage where I wanted to be a boy and asked my whole family to call me "Tommy," and during that time I always always always got "boy" toys. I never played with Barbies dolls. To was Legos and cars and playing out in the yard in the mud. My parents never flinched and just let me express myself in whatever way I wanted, and as a result I felt free to be who I wanted. It turned out that I grew out of it after a few months and am not transgender, but I was always a tomboy beyond that and my parents never made me feel bad for it. So the problem is society and gender roles. That's what needs to change.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2014 at 01:41 AM ----------

Didn't see this before I posted. But to answer the question I think if someone is trans* they will experience conflict regardless if they're assigned a gender, because biologically the gender is still there physically/biologically, so it will be inevitable unfortunately, at least in my view.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Until a persons gender identity is developed it should be congruent with their biological sex until the time that individual desires expressing it as they see fit... Even if at 5 years old. Now unless everyone gets on the wagon that sex does not determine gender, then your hypothesis is valid.

I'm transgender female... Not transsexual. My sex is fine. My gender isn't. If I was allowed to choose earlier, that would have been peachy. This is what I mean personally, but I know many others will see it differently.

7. Sarcastic Luck

Yes, they should. On top of that, not all transgender people know that they're such until they're in their teens or even as adults. So, even if they're given something gender neutral, they might pick one thing, but then when they get older realize they're another.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. This. High five!

9. Kat 5

Nope.

I would have loved a gender neutral name. I still would change it though. (Katsumi is just too cool of a name.)

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't see anything wrong with it, tbh. Assign the kid a gender, give them a gender neutral name. But you better damn well be prepared to listen in case that kid grows up to disagree.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay for gender neutrality!

Sowwy...

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2014 at 01:58 AM ----------

Yes yes yes YES again!

12. Ruthven

Seconding Kasey:

[​IMG]

I mean, I'm whatever now at assignin a kid a gender...just, we need to get rid of gender role shit for sure. That will definitely just benefit everyone.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Wrestling memes are fun.

But I think the trans community has been fairly clear. But that's only like 4 of us so far.

14. Yosia

They should be assigned a SEX but not GENDER~

15. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

I believe children should be assigned sex at birth, but then at 16 and every year annually, a person could choose a different gender. If someone transitions with hormones and/or surgery, then the sex would be changed. I dunno though, this is just my thinking.

16. Sarcastic Luck

Doesn't really work for those who decide early on that they're transgender. They'll need medication to prevent puberty to make transitioning easier.

17. Emulator

They can be, but they should also be given the option to change it anytime when they're older.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose yes, but I say they should be assigned only a biological sex. Later on once they know what they are, then they can say what gender they feel the most comfortable as.

19. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wait... sex or gender is not the same thing?
    Like... if someone is X sex people will presume they are X gender.

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sex = biology
    Gender = societal construct that goes along with sex based stereotypes and behaviors.

Cis is your sex matches up with gender.
    Trans is your sex does not match with your gender.

I'm biologically male but identify as female for gender for instance.