1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People saying that being gay is a fashion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by B B, Apr 13, 2014.

1. B B

B B

Lately, I've being hearing more and more people say that being gay is a fashion, and that now everyone wants to be gay or at least bisexual just to be "cool". I personally find this idea absurd, and I've never met anyone who did this, but what do you think? Is this something other people around the world say, or is it just in Italy?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this idea comes in several parts.

First with have the fashionable bisexual.

So this is more common in girls. You might see it from otherwise straight girls who quite rightly think it will attract men easier because it plays to a common male fantasy.

There are some who basically adopt the label quickly just to say they did, or for the purposes of experimentation, although it is admittedly harder to judge people for this.

Actually this one is pretty common.

'Gay' fashion

So this one has its roots in stereotypes like all good stories.

Once upon a time there was this idea that gay people were well dressed and camp. Basically removed from the usual 'male' ideal of being...well 'macho'. I mean you started to get this trope of the 'well dressed' gay, always wore a suit and acted like a gentleman...which is now coming back in and for some reason people have decided that obviously the two things go hand in hand.

Gays dressed nicely. Dressing nicely is in style now. Therefore being gay must be a fashion style.

It's dumb but you know...people are dumb.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've read it in articles about marriage equality coming from the pro-discrimination nut jobs. I can't believe they really think people will say they're gay to be "cool". They clearly don't understand human sexuality. I think they're afraid that with more acceptance people who were once hiding their real sexuality will come out and the more that happens the fewer people will agree with their horrible opinion. It's been shown the more gay people you know and see we're not scary monsters, their opposition quickly fades. No matter how accepted we are, it's not going to change anyone's orientation, it just makes it easier for people to be themselves.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's like white people in the US who say being black is cool without taking into account all the discrimination blacks have suffered (and still suffer to a lesser extent today). It's really not logical.

There is some truth to idea when it comes to bisexuality as many people who are almost exclusively homosexual use "being bi" as a stepping stone label, which unfortunately makes it difficult for actual bisexuals to prove they're not just gays in disguise. I agree that it is more common with women than men.

5. LiquidSwords

I decided to be gay to make me cool but it's getting too mainstream now tbh

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It's primarily common in women....I see it all the time.

7. PurpleGrey

Ah, yes, the straight girl who says she's bisexual. In other words, the club bi. She is the one who gives people the impression that either all bisexuals just want to kiss other girls to turn men on (because, obviously, bisexual men don't exist), or that hitting it off with a bi girl means an automatic threesome.

Fashion wise, yeah, it's totally fashionable to risk rejection from family and ostracism from friends and those around you. And don't get me started on those extreme religious wackos; attention from them just makes you feel like a star. Really, people?

8. Munyal

:rolle:Obviously being gay is a fashion, just eating food. I haven't eaten anything in 5 1/4 years, and I am the picture of health

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well there is the women claiming to be bisexual in order to turn men on phenomenon that has been described already here.

But in general, it's become a talking point among homophobic right-wing religious nuts that it's suddenly fashionable and trendy to be gay, and people are choosing to be gay in order to be trendy. It's idiotic, but then so is their entire worldview.

But I suppose in today's world, with LGBT rights moving at a lightning pace, and LGBT issues getting so much attention, there is a certain fashionability to being LGBT.

Plus gays have always just been known to be uber-fashionable anyway...:newcolor:

10. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hell no. haha, gay men who made fashion statements, are into fashion. straight men who make fashion statements, are into fashion. sexual orientation don't got ANYTHING to do with fashion. Fashion is brutal and demeaning. =P
    besides, it's just another stereotype.

11. Ruthven

Everytime I see this thread i hear Lady Gaga goin "Fashion!" in my head. :lol:

12. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can't think of any instance in which someone coming out has made them more popular or fashionable

13. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I sometimes think it is..

14. Nikky DoUrden

good?
    im waiting for the day people will *want* to be gay, might have a better world >.>

and I think its only been seen on the media to get more popular with the younger crowd but thats it from my PoV.

15. PurpleGrey

I hear Bowie! Lol!

16. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I think it's because some vips are bi (katy perry...) and the mainstream society wants to be like them soo...yeah. And again the different people are a victim of mainstream society.
    More or less.

17. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    when I was in HS a girl was accused of being bi, and she instantly became real popular with guys. She had so many guys interested in her that she had to beat them off with a stick (literally) :frowning2:

When I was in college the girls that claimed to be bi were mostly either really lesbian but hadn't accepted it yet, or straight girls who thought claiming to be bi would turn on guys more. Those straight girls probably thought it was fashionable. One of them actually approached me and asked me if I'd fool around with her a little while her boyfriend watched (it was his birthday) :frowning2: I suppressed my anger long enough to ask her what it was she wanted to do. She told me "Just get naked, hugging, kissing, stuff like that. No carpet munching or anything like that. I mean, if you really want to do that to me, it be okay I guess. I just mainly want to turn him on, you know?"

#17 sldanlm, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Mostly straight girls that pretend to be bi or lesbian
    I find it very sad that they have to do that to land or keep a man lately some men expect 3somes as requirement . I mean if you have to try that hard to land a guy by kissing another girl clearly your desperate for men's attention and will do anything to get it . I think it's a lack of self esteem with girls and I think they need to make self esteem classes for women maybe they wouldn't resort to such foolish behavior that makes them look desperate because the guys not thinking oh there's the girl I'll date . He's thinking Oh she's easy or there's the slut I'm gonna screw tonight and her friend and she's so desperate for my attention . I don't know how that translate as being able to get a guy in a straight girl's mind .

I remember on the tyra banks show they were talking about this and 2 girls said they love doing it and how guys brought them drinks and gave them attention . Then one guy in the audience told them what he really thought of them and referred to them as easy and sluts and they got upset . I mean come on anyone with a brain is gonna know that's what men are gonna think about you when you behave like that then you get all mad about and call the guy a jerk . :confused:
    then you get the straight girl that says she's tried of men and their s**t and isn't even attracted to girls but will go around asking for a lesbian to date .
    I don't know what's going with straight girls these days but some of them have issues

#18 stocking, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  19. Poe

Poe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think though, that the whole fashionable part started years ago, when more and more people started coming out and not hiding in the closet anymore. I remember seeing and hearing this when I was in highschool and it seemed that the media was labeling it "fashionable" because what other reason would there be to have so many (especially celebs back then) admitting their gay/bi and things like girls gone wild didn't help either because it was "cool" for girls to kiss girls and more mainstream movies on the subject were coming out. It was more rare back then to see so many coming out and the general public growing slightly more comfortable with it.

Now, I just kind of feel like the media is using it because so many celebs are saying it and honestly, when they admit this is gets attention and helps sell whatever.maybe that's what they mean by fashionable?

20. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

This is basically how my mom views transsexuality now...

But eh, you know what? Think about 20 years ago. No one in their right mind would come out as trans or gay in certain areas- you kept it to yourself unless you wanted to be ostracized. In some cases, especially if you were a transsexual, you moved away to another city to safely transition and have a fresh start.