1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you're gay: would you date someone who identified as trans* of the opposite gender

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IsThisAName, Apr 13, 2014.

1. IsThisAName

Ok, so tonight at a party I ended up totally flirting and cuddling with this girl who identifies as transgender FtM. The only reason I refer to her as a girl is because she still goes by her birth name and goes by feminine pronouns, but eventually plans to fully transition to male. I think I am gay but I really like her and I'm going to give things a chance with her.

But this got me thinking--anyone else who is gay, would you date someone who was trans* and identified as the opposite gender? And, if you do, and if that person is fully transitioned, do you think that changes your sexuality? The thing that worries me is I am not sure if I could see myself with her as a guy, not because of trans phobia or anything like that, but I really don't know if I'm attracted to guys. But she is a great person and we have a lot of chemistry and she totally made me feel special. What do you guys think of these questions?

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: If you're gay: would you date someone who identified as trans* of the opposite ge

...Identity? Oh dear. Transitioning is no mere identity.
    Nitpicking aside, I'm here to answer your second question. I'm a bisexual, so that first question does not really apply to me.

Sexuality does not change, which is why conversion therapy is bullshit. It may seem "fluid" at times, but I'm pretty sure that just means you're not a perfect 6 on the Kinsey Scale. It's probably not a good idea to say you are lesbian when you're dating a man, though! You could say you prefer women, but your (hypothetical) boyfriend and you are in love.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Re: If you're gay: would you date someone who identified as trans* of the opposite ge

Sounds like she's awesome and you guys click. That's all the reason to date someone you need imo. As for your question, you're basically just asking if I'd date a girl, to which my answer would be nope

4. Caillin

I thought they were asking if you would date a transman..

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't know.

6. IsThisAName

Nah, I'm asking if you'd date someone who was transgender and transitioning to the opposite gender when you're gay. The pronoun's and everything just made it confusing because she still goes by female pronouns even though she wants to transition to male fully eventually.

I do find guys attractive, I just don't know if I could have sex with one. But we do really click and she def made me feel really special.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I prefer dating a MtF than a FtM
    with a Mtf they will become a woman and look like a woman and have parts I like sex will also not be a huge factor because their a woman and finally become one after surgery .

With a FtM they identify as male I'm not attracted to males sure I can like the personally but when they transition we will have a big problem having sex will not be enjoyable because they will have a male body and be male I'm not even attracted to Cis guys bodies , so I don't see this working at all it will be like a friendship and I'll end up hurting them because I can't get attracted to them and will eventually want a woman to be with and crave having sex with women .
    I know this is harsh but I'm being honest and why would anyone want to be with a person that is not attracted to them To me being in a relationship with a FtM is the same as being with cis guy because their both males . I don't get how some lesbians can be with trans guys it's confusing to me:confused:

#7 stocking, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

When OP said "identifies as the opposite gender", Shiro here must have interpreted it as "opposite from his gender". Yeah, that phrasing is really confusing. Identity this and identity that...
    I don't really get what she's saying in that first part, either. Identity identifies id- My head hurts!

#8 An Gentleman, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  9. Caillin

ohh ok it confused me lol. Well I prefer dating men but if a "guy" I really like was going to transition id still date them I like people for their personality and health not their looks.

10. IsThisAName

Ok. He is FtM. Pre-op. Does that make more sense? Sorry, I'm not used to all of this vocabulary associated with transgender things and such.

11. Ruthven

yeah but not all trans girls (and trans peeps in general) have lower surgery...and also trans women are women even without surgery..same goes for us guys.

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

OP: A good reminder for MtF and FtM would be to look at the last part of the acronym. The pronouns should come to you. For trans man and trans woman, remove the trans part. Easy.

13. IsThisAName

I totally know that but they still go by feminine pronouns and that is how all of my friends refer to her and she does not mind. Gender is not black and white, it's complicated, so sorry if this doesn't make perfect sense.

14. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Depends on if the person and I clicked. Not sure I can give you a clear answer since I have never been in this situation.

On a positive and definite note I like your profile picture and like the show :slight_smile:

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I still see trans girls as girls before the surgery and trans guys as guys but I'm thinking more long term what's best for me .
    I know not all have the lower surgery forgot to touch on that but I prefer to be with a trans woman that wants to

#15 stocking, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  16. IsThisAName

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: I'm going to see where things go. We really clicked and had a lot of chemistry, and I still haven't been 100% on whether I'm gay. I do find guys attractive but i'm attracted to girls way more, but he really made me feel special & we def had a physical connection so we'll see where it goes.

17. Ruthven

okay that's cool. :slight_smile: It's just that you sayin "their a woman and finally become one after surgery." well that sounded like how it sounded, y'know?

18. Minamimoto_Fan

I'm attracted to the male physic, and I'm just like guys in general from feminine twinks to masculine bears, if it's a guy I'll like him. Looks however, are always second to personality.

I'll be quite honest; I have no idea if I would be or not, and I feel kinda bad to say that. I'm not trying to be mean, I just have no idea whether things would be able to work out or not.

It really depends on the person I suppose?

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If I had been in a relationship with them prior to their transition/coming out, then possibly/probably. If not, then I don't think I would; it would make it more difficult to form a romantic connection if I didn't have one already.

20. Ruthven

Are you talkin bout a trans girl? cuz I'm not sure...