1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cass, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Cass

Do you want to get married?
    Why/why not?
    Would you still want to get married to a same sex partner if you could have the tax and insurance rights married couples have without a "marriage" ? (This was a topic of discussion around campus today)

I'm curious to see everyone's answers.

Personally I want to get married because I believe it's a deep expression of love and commitment to someone who you love unconditionally and to start a family. I don't think I'll marry a girl because I am more inclined to guys but if I did fall in love with a girl I'd still want to regardless of tax and insurance, but as an expression of love.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. I didn't spend all this time and energy working for the right to get married not to.

3. Zelos

I'd like to get married. Just because it's easier for the law to recognise two people together (and potential family starters) if they're married.

4. IsThisAName

I've always wanted to get married even before I realized I wasn't straight. At first when I first started coming to terms with liking girls, I thought I would feel odd marrying a girl, but now I think it'd be wonderful.

Yes, I'd want to get married to another girl even if we could get the same rights without getting married. I just want to be able to call her my wife. :slight_smile:

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes but l want to get married because I love the person and want to spend the rest of my life with them. And of course the same sex

6. Hexagon

I'm not desperately fussed, but no. I'm not opposed to commitment, but firstly, marriages are astronomically expensive, far too long and mind-numbingly boring. And secondly, they are unnecessary. I don't need a ceremony to affirm my love, and I'm in no way opposed to sex outside of marriage. In this country, there are no tax benefits to marriage, and there isn't really much prejudice about that anymore. I'd rather use the money on something else, like travel.

But if my partner wants, I suppose.

I'm really not a romantic, though. Things like marriage mean about as much to me as that last shit I took.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on the fence.

I definitely want to be in a relationship where I feel strong enough to want to commit like that, but I don't think I need a marriage to actually DO that.

I do have fantasies about how my wedding might look but I'm not sure I would even consider paying out for it, I'm just not that easy with money.

I have very little faith in marriage due to my families history of relationships, but I hope I won't end up like that.

My feelings might change one way or the other when I actually enter a relationship.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My former same sex partner and I wanted to get married, but we couldn't legally in the state where we lived. Plus she was in the national guard, and don't ask don't tell was in effect. The plan was we'd get married after her enlistment was up and if it was legal in our state, or if it was legal in a state that we wanted to live in. Although now my state has to legally recognize out of state marriages so we could've gotten married somewhere else, and the state would've had to recognize it even though they had a constitutional amendment against the state issuing the license. The more more people that get married out of state, the more pressure there would be anyway to just make it legal for everyone.

9. Yosia

I really want to get marriedand have children! I am very much a family person ^.^

10. Silas

Hmm never really thought much about marriage, I always just figured it wouldn't be in the cards for me... but I guess if I found the right guy and it was something he wanted I'd be open to it... not really sure :confused:

11. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've just separated but in due time, if I found the right person, I'd be open to marry again. I think though, I would be very wary and would have to take things very slowly as I've been through a lot value I have kids and so I have to consider them too.

I wouldn't care what gender they are as long as we loved each other.

Happy days :slight_smile:

12. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I want to get married but only after years of being together my lover. I don't want to stay with her only because there's that contract that unites us.

#12 FireSmoke, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  13. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea of a couple having basic protection for things like health care, insurance and so on that would come with marriage. But I expect that could be handled with some kind of legal civil union.

The word "marriage" carries a very different connotation. It puts our relationships at the same level as any straight couple. It's a way to have a legal, symbolic, and public acceptance of our love for the other person. It proclaims, I believe that my love for this person will last till the day one of us dies, and beyond (if you believe there is a beyond!). It means that in the eyes of the law and the people we are closest to and the world in general, we are committed enough to each another and believe that our relationship is worth being on the books for the world, and part of posterity.

Sure, marriage has gotten a bad rap lately. Many end in divorce, and it certainly isn't a guarantee that love lasts forever. It's not for everyone, gay or straight. But it's the opportunity to make a public declaration that you have value for your partner and your relationship. I'm certailny all for it!

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to get married

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, and now the law allows it here, I intend to. This time next year I expect my partner to be my husband. It's actually nothing to do with rights, for me, it's that special union and bond that's defined within a marriage that means so much to me.

16. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to get married. I think around 3-5 years of a relationship would be a good time to get married for me, though I'd be open to doing so earlier or later if I feel it's right.

17. TalkingBird

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not sure. I like the idea of it, but I haven't really seen a marriage stay together growing up, so I can't say I have much faith in it. Maybe someone will change my mind one day.

18. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to marry a cute guy and build a life together. But, not for a little while. :slight_smile:

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really want to tie myself to one person.
    At the same time, I'm sort of paranoid about STDs and the like, so I'm not really inclined to have lots of sex, either.

To be honest, I think the legalization of gay marriage is the least of our problems. People being killed for being gay, transgender people being barred from serving in the army, misconceptions about LGBTs in general... There are bigger issues at hand here.

#19 An Gentleman, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  20. AAASAS

I'd do civil union but not marriage.

Marriage was created for a man and a woman; the entire ceremony. It is kind of silly to want to force two SAME SEX people to play the role of something created for TWO OPPOSITE SEX people.

I would find it embarrassing to have a traditional wedding because I would find it degrading to my gender; again a wedding is a very feminine thing to begin with always has been and always will be about a bride. Heterosexual men for the most part don't give a shit about weddings; like me, and though they'd like to be "married" or "legally and financially" bound to another person, they don't care about the ceremony that much. I basically take this view.

The party and celebration are nice, but the actual ceremony, with it's over the top public displays of affection just make me uncomfortable.

One of the things I am actually happy with about being gay is I don't have to do the whole "christian" wedding thing, which honestly is one of the last things on earth I would ever want to be the centre of.