1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the gay community shallow??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by maselalala, Apr 14, 2014.

1. maselalala

So I've been open for a few months, and I have noticed quite a few shallow people in the gay community, and I wanna know why..? I mean I'm not trying to say anything rude but In my experiences with other men in the community, I have to ask.... Are members of the gay community shallow, and if they are, WHY????

2. Foxface

The real question is "are humans shallow"

It isn't exclusive to LGBT or straight/cis

it's humans

3. maselalala

Good point... ._.

4. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree that some people in the LGBTQ community are shallow just as some people in the straight community are shallow. I think that being non-straight doesn't make you shallow. If you are hanging around shallow people, maybe you need new friends, or to show them that they don't need to be shallow.

5. C P

C P

Of course it isn't specific to the lgbt community but, being a good deal smaller of a group, it definitely seems at times to stick out a lot more and give off the illusion that it is more so.

With that said, from personal experience, I've run into a good deal more (amazingly) shallow gay guys than other sections; all of our views will obviously differ though.

6. AAASAS

Ya, if you're not good looking or average you basically realize how shallow people are.

Humans are partially naturally discriminatory based on looks, but I don't think that's a fair excuse, we are intelligent animals, and if we can't see past the way someone looks and are resorting to archaic ways of judging people(he isn't good looking there must be something wrong with him worked thousands of years ago when an undesirable look actually signified inadequacies) then we are pretty fucking stupid.

And I do think we are pretty fucking stupid. I think not being able to silence old traits in your thought process(i.e looking for a good looking face) shows how feeble and animalistic we really are. I could be of great value to many people if they actually weren't so primitive in how they judge people.

I can admit I can be shallow too, because I sometimes assume really good looking people, or at least people that look like they put a lot of effort must have a non-existence to intolerable personality. So it does go both ways. The funny thing is I haven't really been wrong on this one, though a lot of good looking people do have personalities, I find most have either not developed or been corrupted by compliments. This is especially true in females my age. If I see a smoking hot female my age I know I basically am going to have NOTHING in common with her minus we both like dick.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just my take.

#6 AAASAS, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  7. maselalala

That's a great idea! Thank you. And I know it's people in general that can be shallow. But encountering these people is a part of life, and the way you handle these people determines your character in my opinion.. But I will try to convince my friends that being shallow won't solve your problems, and if that doesn't work, I guess I really do need new friends. .-.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2014 at 06:47 PM ----------

Oh wow I haven't thought of it that way before.... o.o

8. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha, you kinda took the thoughts out of my head, it is true. A lot of people don't ever put that in perspective. you would also think that sometimes it's the "un attractive" people that can be just as shallow as well. i'm not a great looking guy and i'm pretty down on myself on that(people say otherwise). i can agree that guys/girls around my age who are decent to pretty looking, don't have a damn thing in common except a few minor details.(that is if when i try to have a conversation with them)
    in my experience, i've met a lot of shallow gay guys as they're too busy concentrating on getting laid or oblivious to any kind of issues. does it mean the whole gay community is shallow? nahh, just humans.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People aren't shallow if they express a desire for a good-looking partner - they're only shallow if looks alone are what they desire in a person, overlooking personality and other attributes.

And, we all have differing standards of attractiveness - what one person considers beautiful, another might consider horrifyingly ugly. I want to feel sexually attracted to any potential boyfriend, but I won't overlook a horrible personality in favour of good looks. I also don't buy into the notion that all good-looking people lack personalities - that is really taking the snobby attitude some people display towards 'less attractive' people and turning it upside down, or what I like to call inverse snobbery.

As the old saying goes - don't judge a book by its cover. We're all people at the end of the day - we all have personalities, and I have yet to notice any strong correlation between a person's 'attractiveness' and their personality. I certainly haven't encountered any Regina George types.

10. Amerigo

perhaps it's our need to be better than everyone else, since, and i think i speak for most sexual minorities, people tend to regard us as the lowest of the low.

11. Saint Otaku

Indeed, I'd say "shallowness" may be proportional among all groups. Then again, years of repression may make the gay community more representatively sex-obsessed (which I am inferring was what the OP meant by "shallowness") than straights.

12. maselalala

That was what I meant. I think you get it. :slight_smile:

13. Incognito10

Only as shallow as we make it. :slight_smile:

For those that are shallow, I kind of pity them...how can you ever have or expect a quality life or relationship when you're shallow?

14. Cass

As with any group of people, any religion, any sexual orientation, any social group ECT
    There are shallow people, and other not so nice traits of people. People sometimes suck
    That's it

15. BelleFromHell

I don't think the gay community itself is shallow and there are shallow people of every sexual orientation/identity. I've met some lesbians who were complete bitches, however.

16. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this quote. :eusa_clap

17. maselalala

Yea I agree with you! Relationships are one of the most important, and fun parts of life, and you can't fully enjoy them when you're shallow.

18. Julieno

Well i think everyone have preferences in one sense or another and that doesn't make you shallow. It is pretty logical to prefer the people whose appearance matches the idea of beauty (which keeps changing during history).

You will usually interact more with people that matches your preferences,everyone wants that In my opinion what would make you shallow is not wanting to interact with certain people just because you consider them "not attractive". For example you could say I am shallow because I only approach people that I find attractive when I am trying to flirt but I have been truly in love once... with a guy that I didn't find attractive at all when I met him..

I don't think LGBT people a shallower than any other group, though maybe having high standards has something to do with wanting to prove your worth raising your self esteem ...who knows :s

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think it depends where you are looking. If you're on dating apps, pretty much people of all sexualities are shallow. I think when you get to know a person, you can look past looks (at least to some extent).

"Beauty in the eye of the beholder" as they always say...I can care about looks to some extent but what the majority finds attractive, I find unattractive and vice versa. There's always going to be someone out there who will find you attractive.

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't think the "community" is shallow, I think individuals are shallow, regardless of orientation. Whether it is more common among LGBTQ people is really impossible to tell, we're a small percentage of the population, there is no scientific study that could really give us an answer.

However I do think some degree of physical attraction has to exist in order for a healthy relationship to develop. If physical attraction just didn't matter, then that would invalidate the whole idea of our orientations. There are plenty of girls out there who are sweet and caring, with great personalities, great senses of humor, and they might even be beautiful; perfect partners...but I'm not attracted to them physically.

So I don't think it is "shallow" to require some degree of physical attraction before being willing to develop a relationship with someone. That's just part of the way humans are programmed: to seek out attractive mates.