1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free speech - words and there consequences!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you noticed in this day and age, that there appear to be numerous people who fail to understand that when you exercise free speech, you have to be willing to face the repercussions of your words.

For example, say if a group is hating in LGBT people and you try to correct them on the issue, they claim we are violating their free speech. It's almost like they want free speech for themselves but if their opinion is criticised they want to shut you up.

In my opinion, any one has the right to say anything they they want too. However they must also accept that if they are going to say something stupid, then we have the right to call them out on it and correct them. Or if they are going to say something offensive or hateful then they had better be willing to be accountable for what they said and ready to face any consequences of their words.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although I disagree with the belief that anyone should have the right to say anything they want, the disconnect a lot of people have from oppression or just plain bullying can affect their perception of what free speech should be. Often, people have no idea what oppression is, so the act of someone disagreeing with them is comparable (in their sheltered belief) to actively oppressing them.

The people who are in no danger of oppression, and often are actively involved in oppression, tend to be the ones most fervently defending "free speech" (which, when reversed in actual constructive criticism from oppressed people, will be decried by them as "bullying" or "making enemies of friends").

One of the most obvious abuses of the concept of free speech is when the opinon of one person (often degrading other people), is made as morally important as the safety and the existence of another. That often comes up in situations where people will defend the sacking of an LGBT person as free speech/expression, but sacking vocally (or financially, as in the case of Mozilla's former head) anti-LGBT people is the oppression of free speech/expression. By "equalising" opinions with people's rights, the rights are pushed down in favour of supporting the power of an already more powerful group.

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it and what you intend as a result of saying it. If your intention is to foment hatred and/or violence, then you are abusing the right to free speech in my opinion and should be dealt with under the law.

There was a case a few years ago when Fred Phelps' daughter attempted to visit the UK to exercise her 'right' to free speech, but was denied access by the UK government due to her persistent incitement of hatred towards gay people. For me that was a joyous day and made me proud to be British. The Westboro Baptists are a clear example of free speech gone mad.

4. Cass

Yes everyone has the right to express their thoughts, beliefs, and feelings, but no one is free from the result. And no one should bully others either

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2014 at 11:27 AM ----------

Amen
    Plus they make the other Christians out there look way way worse than we are

5. Foxface

I believe 100% in free speech...but as I have said many times I believe in freedom of association as well. The government should not silence people, but if companies and people don't want to associated with those free speakers...then so be it

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe firmly in the right to call people all manner of names if they misunderstand the meaning of "free speech." It's usually the domain of bratty kids who watched Schoolhouse Rock and think they know the law better. But it's not really a pressing issue; the only real threat to free speech in the US at least is the widespread ignorance and misinformation that causes people to parrot untruths, and so real knowledge is suppressed.

In the case of Westboro, etc, their right to spew their bile is protected, but that doesn't mean they will also be free from becoming the social pariahs they are.