1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Facebook Chats

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by newfish, Apr 15, 2014.

1. newfish

In the past month I have had some really awkward facebook chats, mainly involving crushes and initiated by people I've never really talked to. I was just wondering if anyone else has had incredibly awkward chats and how they deal with them.

2. biggayguy

I'm very awkward with chat on the internet period. It's too immediate. I blank out on what to say. With a message board I can think about what I'm typing. Generally, I don't do chat. Once in a while I will chat with someone I know pretty well.

3. apostrophied

Honestly? Turn off chat. For me, that thing is just a giant ball of awkward...

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't believe in awkward anymore, not on the internet anyway. Awkward exists only when acknowledged, also it's been my experience that honesty dispels awkwardness. Just say what's on your mind and don't worry what anyone thinks of it. If nothing's on your mind, say that. If people are honest with each other a conversation they're invested in will either happen or it wont. There's no room left for awkwardness either way

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a big talker, and often run out of things to say, so I give one-word replies like "Ok" or "Yes" or something like that. There are lots of awkward "silences" when I chat with someone, and it makes me so uncomfortable. I feel rude for not having anything to say but I can't help it, I'm just not a very good conversationalist... Fortunately very few, if any, people chat to me via Facebook. And I've never initiated a conversation either, for obvious reasons. :eusa_doh:

6. LD579

^ :thumbsup:

7. Thedistra

I turn my chat off. No more odd situations for me :grin:. The few friends from online games that I msg on there know its off and will send a msg whenever instead of waiting for it to say I'm online.

8. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I have to agree. chats online are weird. One reason for me is because some people feel its a green light to ask the most personal questions. I think they assume because its not face to face it won't be as awkward, but when I see them the next day the chat is never mentioned lol.

I like to talk to people face to face. I will text people who I have known for awhile and maybe new people (not as much though). I think its because I don't want the friendship or whatever it is to be based on online chats, but rather face to face conversations. I like to see the people because then I see their body language rather than what I assume.

Overall, facebook is weird to me. I cancelled mine like a year ago and its the best thing I have done. Some people are upset about it, but to be honest if people want to get to know me then we can do it face to face.

9. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    FB in general seems to be a huge cause of problems. Luckily my friends are the kinds who will just start sending random pictures if the conversation gets too boring or awkward.

As for awkward chat examples, Monday night my ex girlfriend chatted me with an apology about my cat that died (I'd posted about her passing). I flipped out and panicked because didn't know what to do. It ended up being like, two messages each from us. So I flipped out for nothing.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I've found the same thing. I dunno. Once I get going with someone, then it stops being awkward. And if we both acknowledge we're awkward fucktards, then even better.

Basically, if you stop putting up pretenses and just allow yourself to be weird, then it works out. I've sent too many weird pictures, said stupid shit, and whatever to keep being concerned about how awkward I am.

I'd like to think I'm entertaining the NSA. :wink:

11. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There's a few people I'd rather not talk to and very seldom do, its never enjoyable and sometimes they think I am flirting when I have zero interest in them.