1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG sexism!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookDragon, Apr 15, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the last two days I've done something I've not done in months. I turned on the TV.
    I turned on the TV and I saw adverts for the first time in ages.

Now I have been living full time as female since last October and for the most part things have been great. But in the last two days, something hit me.

HOLY SHIT is advertising horrific!

The advert in question is for VEET hair removal products. Now this advert shows a woman getting out of bed (where her man is sleeping), putting on one of his shirts and leaving the room. A narrator then says something like this:

"Some things from a man look good on a woman." (that being the shirt).

"STUBBLE ISN'T ONE OF THEM!"

I've seen this advert and a handful of times now and I just thought holy hell that just isn't right.

I mean it's one thing to say 'this stuff makes you look GOOD', but to imply that if you DON'T use it, you are massively ugly is...just awful...

The thing that makes it worse, is that I tried to find this advert so I could get the quote right (never found it by the way) only to discover that THIS advert is a MASSIVELY toned down version shown in the UK after the US version had to be pulled for it's suggestion that if you don't use it you become a MAN over night!

What the HELL is wrong with TV!?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's just down right offensive :dry:

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Sigh

I hate how women are automatically "ugly" if they are seen with hair anywhere else besides their head...

I'm a cis woman with some facial hair (Mild neck hair and mustache) and I usually never shave it off (It's hardly noticeable anyway). Surprisingly, having hair actually ups my self-esteem since I see myself being more masculine in gender expression.

I've never actually had anyone in public say anything about it, and if they think It's weird; well, that's their business if they keep it to themselves.

But my mom can't stand it and will always make me shave it off. Usually I say no, so she'll do it without my consent.

I hate these ads that try to tell women that they're ugly if they do this or that too.

4. Ruthven

Wait. So she like straight up comes at you with a razor and just shaves you?! :eek:

oh and yeah sexist shit. I saw this one commercial with Mystique from X-Men bitin' into a BK burger, and then she morphed into some random dude and the words "Man up" appeared on the screen. Disgusting.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

She's done it when I was asleep! it's creepy as shit lol

But yeah, sexist commercials = fail

6. Cass

I also a cis woman who has facial hair and I've literally felt so pressured by society to remove it that I gave myself chemical burns using nair on my face. I mean seeiously!!!!
    I agree
    Tv ads are so sexist

7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course ads are sexist. Didn't you know that only hairlessness, silk-skin, 25 inch waist, 38 inch bust and hips and blonde hair, blue eyes and make-up can possibly give value to women? :dry: Ugh. The most beautiful girls I can think of all have facial hair to wax off but even if they didn't, I would find them beautiful. :tantrum: I HATE SEXISM. :tantrum:

8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Veet Pulls Stupid, Sexist Ads After Viewer Backlash

The article for anyone who is interested. The videos of the US version can easily be found on youtube. I saw this on Tumblr a week ago, was offended as hell.

Basically they are saying that shaving isn't enough. Waxing is the only way to remain womanly. Which is BS. I don't understand how the commercial was going to convince people to buy veet. If you are already are self conscious, why would being insulted motivate you.?

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sucks because that's what I've been using and now I'm torn...

I've often joked about how adverts put me off wanting to use the products, but I've never felt so strongly about it before...

10. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Charlie, you're back! :grin:

11. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is a bit off-topic but NEVER use Nair on your face or on sensitive areas. It's soley meant for legs and underarm hair, you should never use a chemical wax on your face.

#11 RedMage, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  12. Caillin

When I see a sexist commercial I just tend to bang my head against the wall and just question who in the hell approved for this commercial to air.. :bang:

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

That's gross.

The sexism, I mean. Who knew hair was such a big fucking, world-is-ending deal? Man. I dunno if I'll ever really understand what women deal with but gotta say, really sick of shit like this.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad yells at me if I forget to shave my legs during the summer and it's a little hair he even calls it fur :tears: , they need to stop this

15. Ruthven

This reminds me. okay so I don't shave cuz it's a pain and i'm fine with hair. Now before i came out as a guy, this one time(couple years ago almost) my mum saw my underarm hair and said i looked like a monkey. lol like wtf.

and it's funny cuz her and my bro at that time were sayin shit about how havin underarm hair makes you sweat more or sumthin blah blah blah, and yet apparently guys can get away with it and no one gets on them for it. truly messed up. people should be able to shave/not shave whatever and not get dogged about it.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    And complaining about little stubs :tantrum:

17. Kat 5

Kat has not seen the ad.

I have noticed the sexism in various ads.

18. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's terrible! I get how stubble on legs are undesireable, but I shave only once a week, so I do have some stubble, and I don't find it gross or ugly, and it doesn't make me any less of a woman. It's a part of me.

I don't think they thought it through very well. I'm sure they didn't mean to be sexist and offensive but I agree, it's just horrible! :dry:

19. Hexagon

That is really bad. I haven't seen the ad in question, as I haven't actually watched TV in nearly six months, but damn, the whole female-body-hair-hatred thing pisses me off to no end.

20. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha my dad once said to me that I look like a goat and that my (now ex) boyfriend was with me just because he had no self-esteem. Ouch.

Anyway, I rarely shave my legs and yes, these shitty commercials have lade us believe that we are gross if we don't alter our physical appearance in a regular basis.
    Not just ugly; gross. That means we have to even pretend that we don't have any hair naturally.

:***: