1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"If everyone was gay, humans wouldn't exist"...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BluePaperCrane, Apr 16, 2014.

1. BluePaperCrane

So recently, I had an argument with my dad about gay people ( I kind of intentionally brought up the subject just to test the waters) and basically he said finds it unnatural but since he doesn't know anyone who is LGBT ( he doesn't know I like girls) he can't form a real opinion. Well, I find this pretty reasonable (at least better than what I have expected from him)but he also said somethink like: "but if all people were gay, we wouldn't be here"

This statement kind of puzzled me for many reasons:
    1. Ok, I can see where this is coming from BUT since it's not the actual case, why bring it up? I mean...if rabbits were falling from the sky that would be wierd but no one seems to point it out in an argument and hate rabbits for it. (...I know it was a lame example, but anyway...)

2. We do not exicts simply to procreate. with this logic, any couple, straight or not, who doesn't want kids together shouldn't be together(eg.: they already have kids from a previous relationship or for any reasons) ..and this includes my father and his girlfriend.

3. Many gay couples do have children. ( adoption, previous relationship etc)

4. At least when a gay couple has a kid, it's after a serious decision not just an "accident".

So why do I keep hearing this from straight people? ( not just my dad). Could anyone think of a reason?
    Because seriously, it doesn't make sense to me. Anyone with a common sense could see it.

2. Sorceress of Az

I dont like when people claim homsexuality is unatural when animals do it.

3. Cass

What he means is if everyone was gay and no straight people would have sex and there would be no more babies
    It's still dumb though

4. Incognito10

And you can cite the fact that the world population has, I believe, recently surpassed the 7 billion persons milestone and let him know that you don't think the human existence is in any real danger. The growing population will make sustainability difficult. You could also suggest that everyone stops using birth control and we everyone has 15 children or ask him why he didn't take that route!

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Provided that procreation between the sexes occurred to propagate the species then that point is irrelevant.

Gay people have kids.

6. Paisley

You'll get this same type of rebuttal from any argument. It's just a way for them to tell themselves they're right. Of course not always, but for the most part i find it is. Kind of like the whole "Video games cause violence" and "Why do you need an automatic weapon to hunt"

7. Incognito10

That is a good point. Even in the hypothetical situation that everyone was gay, gay people could still have children, through various means.

Also, from an individual perspective, the weight of the world does not rest upon the shoulders of one person.

8. apostrophied

I'd say, "Well, isn't it a good thing the vast majority of people are straight? And what about all the single straight people who aren't making babies, either?"

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be true, but it's a really lame argument. No right minded person would talk about everyone being gay.

Fact: gay people have been around since the beginning of time and it hasn't threatened the existence of humanity yet and it's hardly likely to either.

10. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Just another one of those homophobic knee-jerk fallacies.

11. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a very dumb point that many people use and here's why:

First of all, the sole function of sex and pair bonds is not limited to just procreation. Pair bonds aid in survival and it is a fact that people that are married usually are happier and have better mental health. Sex strengthens and solidifies social bonds. It is something we do to strengthen bonds, ease tension and gain trust. Many species have all kinds of sex and this is the reason why they do it.

Second of all homosexuality is natural because it exist in the natural world. Thousands of species exhibit homosexual behaviour and pair bondings and even child raising between the same sex is commonplace is some species. Also evidence suggests that it is an inherited trait.

And finally- it makes sense that a certain percent of the population doesn't reproduce. If everyone was 100% heterosexual, they'd all have vaginal sex sooner or later and we would have an unsustainable population. That is actually one of the biggest problems in the world right now. Gay people are a part of life, we have our purpose and we belong here. We're not all meant to fit one mould.

I'm sorry but the "it's not natural" or "if everyone was gay" argument has no legs to stand on, because it is natural and everyone is not gay, but some people are and that is the way it's meant to be.

#11 micstar615, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  12. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Funny, I always thought they were invented by Joe Gay. -____-

13. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

And how is it that mankind isn't still disintegrated? :eusa_eh: Is our plan failing? :jawdrop:

#13 FireSmoke, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  14. Butterfly72

You could say to him, ok dad, why are there so many men? as we only need a few considering there are 300 million sperm released in an ejaculation, so why are there not say 2 men to every 100 women born. That would keep the population going for a while.

15. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Still the best answer to any "suppose everyone was <whatever>" argument...

Which isn't a good line to quote back at anyone but perfect one for keeping in mind when people do use arguments like that.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wrong. Al Gore.

17. kem

kem

Edit: First of all, addressing the classic appeal to nature: that something is natural does not mean it is right. Likewise, abnormality isn't wrong either. If we did everything the way nature intended, what would our society be like?

I think this is a really tough question. If everyone in the world were homosexual, would our societies really be exactly the same?

I don't think so. Much of our family culture is based on the idea that two people of opposite sex agree to share their wealth and pass their genes. If everyone was gay, procreation wouldn't happen in marriage — marriage might not even be between man and woman. We'd need an institution solely for the purpose of procreation.

I guess fertility clinics would play a substantially larger part in everyday life. Surrogate motherhood might be very common. Our concept of family could be entirely different. In the scenario, a family might mean two couples, male-male and female-female, raising children together.

#17 kem, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Animals also engage in necrophilia. Yeah, you get 'lesbian' albatrosses and 'gay behaviour' in male dogs... they don't think of it like humans do! What happens in nature isn't always the best guide. We have to consider safety and consent. I don't see the problem with consenting adults engaging in homosexual behaviour. The age of consent is an argument for another time. It's only one bit of their lives. I think that if everyone in the world were gay, we'd figure out a way to continue the species. Some people love to cling to stupid ideas to justify (perhaps also to themselves?) their fear and/or hate. Anyway, humans already exist!

19. BluePaperCrane

Thank you for all your comments, I agree with all of you.
    BTW, I don't want you to think my dad is a total jerk, because he really isn't, he is just ignorant. But this is what really upsets me, when people are homophobic just because they do not care enough to think. This type of homophobia is the exact reason why I'm afraid to come out. Because the ones who are real haters..well I couldn't care less about their opinions, life is too short to deal with those idiots.
    But the ones who say things like this out of ignorance are the ones who upset me and make me feel bad about myself. I know I probably shouldn't care about their opinion either, but sadly I do.
    I hope society will change for the better soon...I guess it's already changing (well not where I live, but anyway) Until then, I will just try to reform my father's opinion...

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His main argument suggests that, should homosexuality be considered okay, then everyone would be gay.

I really hate this argument for a ton of reasons.

1. The same people who bring it up also tend to be the people who bring up the fact that we're less than 10% of the population.

2. Those people then ask why less than 10% of the population are forcing their opinion down 90% of the population's throat.

3. At the same time, it's not the opinion that's the minority anymore. It's simply the people. The world is split in half on this issue. No overwhelming majority exists anymore, as far as the opinion goes. But when it boils down to it, we're still less than 10% of the population.

I'm not sure if your father thinks that, but it's what I encounter a lot.