1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teachers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lil Shorty, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Lil Shorty

Im in a school where the teachers and students will try you every chance they get. I hate it cause they try me every time I am in a bad mood. People will regret it one day when they are working for me and I make their life miserable then fire them Mowahahahahahah :bang: :***: I swear one day im going to snap. Anyone have teachers or know anyone like this ? Am I mean for saying this ? :eusa_doh:

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Bad teachers should devote themselves to gardening...

3. Lil Shorty

True but they would poison the plants...

4. Emulator

I guess everyone is bound to do things that irritate others. Bad teachers just irritate people on a larger scope :wink:

5. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I remember a time when my Gr.12 physics teacher would keep saying I didn't finish the homework because I hadn't completed the last few questions. She would of had a point...if she turned my homework paper around and saw the 'missing' questions and answers.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1.) Teachers are human too. People forget that.
    2.) A teacher shouldn't be out to get you. They may ask you questions because they are trying to see what you understand or are paying attention.
    3.) If a teacher is genuinely out to get you then tell someone. I had a middle school teacher myself who was soooo mean and played favorites. Or speak to them. Most teachers should listen if the student asks to leave them be or if they think they are being called on too much. Sometimes teachers expect a lot out of some students with potential.
    4.) You might be having a bad day. Especially since you seem to think everyone is out to get you. It might seem that way, but probably isn't. You admitted you're in a bad mood. Think about that.
    5.) Venting is good.

7. Cass

Some teachers do suck, but teachers have to push their students or they won't learn. Just wait till college, it's even worse.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, yes a million times.

My students are freaking out because they are applying principles and abstract concepts they already know to a real life application. They are getting mad when I don't just "hand them the answer".

9. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The real problem is not the teachers, but the educational system in general.

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

^This.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're referring to standardized testing then yes I agree.

12. Caleb2001

Bad teachers are the worst because you are sentenced to sit through them every day of school and your passing or not depends on them. Not fair!:tantrum:

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really dislike the rigid, conveyor-belt, teaching to tests, ignoring creativity and the arts, ignoring the emotional needs of students approach the US educational system has taken. And the lack of recess times, the shorter lunch hours, the increased pressure to be #1, at whatever cost.

I've thought of becoming a teacher, but I don't think I could put up with the current BS of the US public school system; I'd probably fit in better at a more open, liberal private school. Or in a system like Finland has, where students have more choice, and more social time.

There's most likely a reason Pink Floyd had such a huge hit with this song:

Another Brick in the Wall

"When we grew up and went to school
    There were certain teachers who would
    Hurt the children in any way they could

By pouring their derision
    Upon anything we did
    And exposing every weakness
    However carefully hidden by the kids
    But in the town, it was well known
    When they got home at night, their fat and
    Psychopathic wives would thrash them
    Within inches of their lives."

We don't need no education
    We dont need no thought control
    No dark sarcasm in the classroom
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
    All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
    All in all you're just another brick in the wall."

---Pink Floyd

That's certainly how I was made to feel: Like I was nobody. Another brick in the wall. Like because I wasn't good in sports, and we had no emphasis on poetry and the arts, I was just some weirdo that didn't matter. I hated school, and even today, I have the odd (and mere) fantasy of going back and vandalising my middle school, over 20 years later. It was like a concentration camp. Few things have had as damaging an emotional effect as that horrid, large, well funded public school.

The degree of metaphorical and literal meaning of that song haunts me to this day.

#13 HuskyPup, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It hurts me as a teacher to admit how much of this is true, but how much also it is disgruntled people who had a bad time in school as well.

There is an industrial aspect to education that has held on since the late 1700s but there is also something to be said about having people take on courses they may not like or deal with teachers who are jerks. The point of school is this.

To learn how to learn. Yes that may be a tautology, however after you leave high school, and to some degree in college, you are forced to figure things out on your own. No one is going to tell you to do your homework (pay bills) help you figure out how to install a garbage disposal in your sink (solve a problem). No, the idea of figuring out tough subjects and problem solving as well as overcoming awkward social interactions is the hallmark of education.

Content knowledge is only a small part of school.

People think that science for instance is rigid and sterile and totally abstract, however good science teachers make topics fun and relevant and attempt to diversify instructional practices.

It's sad that a lot of teachers currently in the system who are holdovers of the old guard. New generations of teachers I assure you are going to be weeded out much more quickly. It is a tough job and most people will not put up with it unless it's for the love of it. Because I sure don't get paid as much for my 60+ hour work week as I should for the service to the community I perform.

School is not supposed to be soul crushing and horrible despite people thinking the contrary.

One bad teacher doesn't mean all are.

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did have a lot of good teachers, so those lyrics are more metaphorical, on that note. But I felt like my best, most passionate talents were largely ignored, and not encouraged. I graduated with something like a 3.8, and was 11th out of 720 in my graduating class at what one would have to call a competitive school with a healthy tax base along Lake Michigan.

I think there's a ton of good teachers out there, I just think the educational system is too rigid, and a lot of kids fall though the cracks. I also agree teachers don't get paid enough...when I looked at going back for a masters in Education, I was amazed how little I'd be paid, if I landed a job. My mom taught grades 1 to 6 all her life in a small, poor rural school, my dad taught at a community college. But it seemed like they were always the subject of cuts and budget crunches, even as administrators and those at the top made more and more.

For a while, I went to an 'open' school, where grades 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 were 'mixed', depending on skill levels and interests, it was very cool, and they encouraged you to do lots of independent study and projects by the grade 5-6 grade level. I even stared a school paper, and I remember how exciting and motivating that was. Then, came this very rigidly structured middle school, and that always has seemed a nightmare.

I only had a few 'mean' teachers, but it was the way they had the place set up that seemed the most dehumanizing, and hurtful. It's a hard time to look back on.

I thought, maybe I could teach at a HSl for the arts, or maybe a Quaker school? Something that took a different approach. I've wanted to give back what I felt I lost, if that makes sense, to help heal others in their own situations of disenfranchisement, but have been very afraid of how teaching would be with having to face the current political winds of standardized tests, and all the math/science emphasis. It's like I can't see being able to fit.

#15 HuskyPup, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  16. Daniel003

I have had mean teachers in the past but at the moment i just have teachers who just cant teach
    They are the worst kind of teacher as the class ends up doing here job for them