1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood donation and homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is your opinion on gay/bisexual men who have had sex with other men not being able to donate blood unless they haven't had sex with another man for 12 months.

Would you say that if their blood is tested and found clean, they should be able to donate anyway. Or perhaps it is a sensible precaution to prevent the potential infection of HIV/AID (I'm not implying all gay men who have anal sex have HIV/AIDS, I'm just playing devils advocate here).

Furthermore, are gay couples still more likely to have HIV/AIDS. (I actually don't know)

Do you think this restriction is justified or do you think it hints of homophobia?

Let me know your thoughts...

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Trentacles

i didn't know this was a thing, but it seems pretty stupid to me. if you want to give blood and gay you could just lie about it or whatever and they wouldn't know so they should probably be testing the blood anyway.

3. Hexagon

Stupid. As far as I know, tests can identify infections after three months, not twelve, and heterosexuals can also be HIV positive. The issue here is casual sex, not the gender of the participants. For those in monogamous relationships where both are clean, people should be allowed to donate. In regards to casual sex, I'm not sure. If the donor has been using protection properly, then donation is probably fine. Blood is tested before it's given anyway, isn't it?

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wait, do they not test blood before they give it to people who need it?

5. MrBrightside

My opinion is this rule is wrong, and stupid.

People say just lie about it, but the way i see it is if they dont want my blood thats up to them. Theres all these adverts asking for more blood donors yet theyre happy to say no to me... great logic.

6. Agaetis Byrjun

Is that a UK law? Here in the US the FDA does not permit blood donation from any men with history of sex with other men, and recently (2004 iirc) added recommendations against accepting sperm donations from men who have had sex with me, but allowing if they have been celibate for five years. It's really sad that this kind of idiocy still passes for health regulation in this country. HIV testing after a 6-month quarantine of every sample is standard practice anyway, so why put this kind of rule in while ignoring the risk from donors who have risky heterosexual histories?

7. Trentacles

Sucks to be you ;-) (yes yes. a typo)

8. Agaetis Byrjun

OMG I can't believe I typed that. :lol:

9. kem

kem

Should be the same as with everyone else; 4 months' waiting period after a new sex partner, but after that, no restrictions.

10. PurpleGrey

Okay, one last time for anyone who doesn't understand anything about sex: sex with a person of the same gender doesn't inherently result in an STD. Sex with an infected person, regardless of gender, results in risk of STDs. Got it? Doubt it.

Even ignoring all that logic and reason, why can't the standard just be to test all donated blood, or get tested before donating and refraining from risky behavior of all kinds while the blood is tested?

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a gay male but I seriously get offended when people say stuff like that.

I'll admit I've not understood the LGBT community myself even though I'm in it now, but I've always thought the gay man stereotype of being a sex fiend who automatically has aids is utterly ridiculous.

Should all heterosexual people be asked if they have had sex in the past 12 months? It's not like Herero couples are immune to aids... Or any std.

12. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to throw in my opinion, I'm totally with what's been said so far. I can't understand this restriction myself as I think, straight people can get STD's just as easily as gay.

I mean if all blood is tested anyway, what difference should it make.

Happy days :slight_smile:

13. IsThisAName

I think it's stupid. If they test the blood before giving it to someone (which I sure as hell hope they do), what's the big deal? Straight people can have STD's too, and they do. Being a gay man does not equate to being a "slut." Sluts exist in every sexual orientation.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried to argue agaist the ban with the UK Blood Transfusion Service, as I used to give blood before I came out and started having sex. Got me knowhere (obviously), but at least I had my say. Would happily give blood again if they lifted the ban.

15. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here it's forbidden to men who had sex with other men since 1976, lol. Even more stupid.

16. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Test the blood...
    Doesn't matter who gives blood, anyone could have anything!

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I do understand that anal sex can be more risky. But the thing is that not all gay men have anal sex, and a LOT of straight couples do. I've actually met more gay men who take safer precautions with anal than straight couples who do (Not that I'm saying that straight couples don't protect themselves, but there are a lot of religious straight people who do anal because they think they can 'still wait for marriage' and when you have that mindset you won't see it as a risky form of sex).

Secondly, I've heard that gay men who do oral can even be refused. What the hell? Oral sex is so common in straight couples, yet they never think to refuse them for the same reasons?

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The rule is outdated and discriminatory. MSMs aren't even the most affected demographic by HIV anymore, it's now black WSMs. Them denying gays from donating is just doubting the accuracy of their own tests.

19. Trentacles

Question: if I tell my GP that I'm gay does that get documented with the NHS so that they know if I lie about being gay later for something like this?

20. Waffles

I actually just donated blood today haha~ It's a lot of fun ^^

I don't think the rule is all that bad to be honest. I mean, it's to ensure that the blood is not tainted with any diseases. While I was reading the deferral list, there were actually a LOT of things that required you to either wait 12 months or be banned completely. It may seem outdated or homophobic for this restriction against gay/bi men who are sexually active with other guys, but at the same time you also don't want to give blood that may ultimately hurt the patient more than help them (or not at all).

Also, yes oral sex is still classified as sexual intercourse. They define the term sex as "any contact with another person's genitals through oral, vaginal, or anal means" (something fancy like that.) In general you can't donate with STDs, so don't think it's limited to just gay men.

You can hate it all you want, but in the end the doctors are just trying to do their job in a safe, efficient way. Some may not like it, but it's meant to narrow the possible amounts of "bad" blood. Rather safe than sorry, right? When a person's life is at stake, you can't be too careful.