1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you feel more attracted to people after you came out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
  2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I did not, but that's because I had thought about and accepted my sexuality long before I came out.
    When it comes to being attracted to whatever it is you are, I think the biggest factor is whether or not you've accepted yourself for who you are. If you have, then you probably better understand your feelings for people of the same sex.
    If you haven't accepted yourself, that's where confusion can set in.

But that's just my opinion.
    Without doubt, everyone is different, and coming out might be the validation that someone needs to feel comfortable being attracted to a certain gender.

Are you wondering about something in relation to yourself, or just asking?

3. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd agree here with what TJ said. I think when I accepted my bisexuality, I allowed my self to be more attracted to guys as well as girls. By allowed, I mean I didn't hide from my feelings and thus can expressed myself more truthfully. As a result, now if I see a guy I like, I acknowledge I'm attracted to them and don't mind checking them out. Before I accepted my bisexuality I would have simply just looked away from anyone who wasn't a girl.

So as was said, it's not so much about the actual coming out but more the acceptance of who you are and how you feel.

Happy days :slight_smile:

4. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was asking because I notice that I don't feel attraction as strongly as most people. I'm wondering if it's because I'm naturally like this or if I'm just ashamed of my feelings.

5. XRay

same

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How strongly do you feel most people feel attraction, and what makes you think you feel it less intensely?

I notice that your orientation says "hopefully gay, but possibly bi". It could be that you're not quite comfortable with your sexuality yet; being unsure will definitely make you feel less comfortable, and that can make it harder for you to acknowledge your attraction to people.
    Again, coming out most likely isn't going to make your attractions stronger. It could, but I believe you should focus more on realizing your sexuality and then becoming comfortable with it. In my experience, that's when your mind will really start allowing you to feel your feels. :wink:

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel more attracted, but I'm more comfortable with feeling attracted to guys since coming out (hope that makes sense).

My attractions have changed over-time though.

Anyway, it's all irrelevant cos my partner has warned me... "you can window shop, but never ever get your wallet out" :slight_smile:

8. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't feel attraction that strongly or frequently. When I do feel attraction I usually just feel "warm and happy." It seems like most people get "the butterflies", thoughts about sex or feelings down there.

I sometimes think about sex or get feelings down there, but it seems to be more random or caused by OCD. My stupid OCD makes it impossible to figure out my sexual orientation. It keeps on trying to convince me that I'm bi. I really don't want to be bi.

9. Alis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have tried so hard my whole life to push down the lesbian me that I think I can (sort of) relate. I had always found girls attractive but I wrote it off and rationalized the feelings so it became "oh she's so pretty because I like her dress" rather than admitting any warm feelings anywhere :icon_wink buuuut when I finally started crushing on a girl from work, who I see regularly I allowed myself to feel this one. I mean I couldn't really control how cute she is everyday and so I began to acknowledge to myself what I had been controlling or trying to control for so long and now I know in my heart I want to be with a woman. That's it. Once I let go and stopped trying so hard to control what I felt, I let myself become what's always been there. I knew from a very young age I was gay, but I could never admit it without fear. Since you have OCD, I imagine that desire to control is not even really in your hands and so it's no wonder you're so confused. But, even though I know who I am now, I look at a woman and I can be attracted to her but I'm not sure I've gotten to the point where I'm like wow...sexy feelings. This freedom is so new to me and finally acknowledging my sexuality is a process that I'm still in the midst of. I hope telling you a little of my story helps you make sense of yours. (*hug*)