1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went to a PFLAG meeting tonight

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EM68, Jul 28, 2008.

1. EM68

It went well. There were about 12 people there, mainly parents of gay an lesbian children. There was one guy there who is gay and partnered and one woman who is questioning. They were all open and caring. I felt so comfortable. It was great to verbalize everything that I have talked about on EC. I told them my story and voiced some of my fears and concerns. They gave me some great advice. A lot of it was things that we talked about in the forum about coming out and how its a process. Then they talked about how parents and other family members deal with a gay member in the family. I have a lot to think about plus gave me hope that it may not be as horrible I think it could be to come out to my family (when I am ready).

As part of my intro I mentioned how I found EC and its a great community. The chairwoman wrote down the site and at the end of the meeting a couple of the mothers asked me again about EC and I told them. I also said it may be a great site for their sons to look at too.

At the end I talked to the chairwoman and asked if she knew of any social clubs, groups etc for people of my age and she said that she would find out for me and send me an email.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Awesome! :slight_smile: The fact that the meeting was mostly parents was interesting. My group is about 1/3 glbt, 1/3 parents, and 1/3 straight alies who have no one close to them who is gay but feels PFLAG is important to the community.

I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to talk there and its great you told them about EC!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome! I am happy for you that you had a great time and felt comfortable at the PFLAG meeting. :slight_smile:

4. Sam

Sam

Thats great! I'm glad you found the meeting so helpful!

Sam

5. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Dude that sounds like awesome fun. XD