1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The hardest situation for a writer: to describe kisses.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FireSmoke, Apr 18, 2014.

1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Heilà EC writers :grin:

Have you ever tried to describe a kiss scene? What is your experience about this?

About me, it's like to describe the taste of the italian coffee: nearly impossible :grin:

#1 FireSmoke, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  2. Yosia

As they sat watching the stars, he looked at her longing to be with her, she looked at him longing to be with him. Their eyes met and he stroked her hair, leaning in and whispered "i love you." She leaned in too, letting him embrace her and their lips touched, the moment they had been waiting for since being so madly in love. They kissed for what seemed forever and it was like fireworks in her tummy, as was it him. After this beautiful moment they pulled away, him looking into her beautiful brown eyes, her looking into his dreamy blue eyes, they both thought they had met the one.

That was sooo bad!! I know how hard it is now! I never write stories so yeh XD

3. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so difficult for me that I never describe them... xd

4. Gen

Gen

What genre is the story? Description in a romance is often very different than description in a action or fantasy story.

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It's left to your own personal discretion, the thread doesn't give restrictions :slight_smile:

6. TheUglyBarnacle

I don't find it that hard but that's probably because I used to roleplay online a lot and one of my characters was a huge player. >.<

Is it the feelings you have difficulty describing or the scene?

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I don't want to border on banality :grin: I'm not a sugary person :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Hexagon

Definitely difficult for me too. My stories don't tend to have that much romance in them, but ya know, they have to have a bit.

9. Gen

Gen

Then, personally, I believe the biggest cliche is describing how the actual kiss feels to the reader. While it can be beautiful, romance that comes across as too dreamlike or easy probably won't resonate with the reader and what they know to be true about life. A kiss is a very individualized experience and most people probably wouldn't be able to find adequate words to describe what is actually appealing about a kiss. It is one of those things that we enjoy for unexplainable reasons. So, I would describe a kiss simply as a kiss. Instead, I would describe the experience that occurred before and after the kiss.

For example: A first kiss is never by a sunset with autumn leaves rustling in the breeze. Hardly ever does it go as smoothly as both partners professing their love and lips graceful touching. The reality is that it will likely happen randomly and the two partners will awkwardly sit or stand next to each other in the most uncomfortable silence. The realization that the both of you are about to kiss will probably give you horrible anxiety. Then it will happen.

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Uhm, that's interesting :slight_smile:

11. CandyCutes

Out Status:
    A few people
    A small mutter escaped from her breath as she pressed her lips against his. That twinge of excitement fired in her chest again, like it did the first time they met. It wasn't a very long kiss, but it felt special to her. Like tying a small and imaginary knot that connects the both of them. The warmth started from the bow of her lip and scattered up to her cheeks. Her once rosy face was now pale in worry that it might've not been enough for the one she adores.

I... hope that wasn't too cheesy XD But it was fun!
    Yeah, describing kisses are pretty hard.

12. IsThisAName

"Their tongues wrestled for dominance as he swallowed her moans..." said every fanfic ever.
    That's the one I always see writers using :roflmao:

13. Yosia

that is fantastic!! I kinda described the scenario not the kiss in mine but yours is perfect!! xD

14. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

o_o I hope you're kidding...

:roflmao:

15. IsThisAName

Sadly no LOL. I'm a writer, but I don't write fiction anymore. I'm so glad I don't have to think about writing stuff like this! I miss writing fiction sometimes but it takes a lot of creativity and effort so that it doesn't come out cheesy.