1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride Parade news article

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kenko, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From the local paper. I will again advise not reading the comments :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What a difference two decades make

I didn't participate or attend, but it's good to see that it's getting generally positive coverage.

One part of the article I kind of laughed at "100 homosexuals and lesbians" I was always under the impression that lesbians were homosexual.

One of the comments "I was at the parade supporting my friends in the gay community and laughed my head off at some of the outlandish costumes and totally over-the-top ridiculous drag queens getups. It was truly hilarious! I hope people realize that 95% of gay people are just ordinary everday people in all respects except for their choice of partner and the flamboyant stereotype is not the norm."

Hmm, with all their gay friends they didn't seem to get the choice lecture :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I also find it funny all the comments "Well where is the straight pride parade?" Aside from completely missing the point, feel free to organize one. (OK I admit it, I didn't follow my own advice and read the comments).

2. pirateninja

*shakes head*

Whenever someone says to me; "you have gay pride, why don't we have straight pride?" I usually answer, "Go ahead! Start one! I don't mind!" which leaves them at a loss for an answer. Or I say possibly my favourite quote on the subject; "That is like asking your parents why we have Mother's and Father's Days but not Kid's days. Every other day is the Kid's day. So enjoy your banquet while we make do with our crumbs."

I personally love pride. The atmosphere is always so camp and fun, I just don't understand why people hate them so much.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I love Pride too! The outlandish costumes are entertaining. People are just free to be themselves! Live and let live people! (that is directed toward those nasty comments!)

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm all for equal treatment, obviously, but the wild and campy atmosphere of pride parades has never really drawn me in. I have no hidden desires or emotions, except for the obvious "attracted to males" bit. I'm glad that people get to display who they really want to be at these parades, but it just isn't for me.

Still, it amuses me that straight people think they deserve a parade. They're welcome to start one, but I don't think they'll really need one until they know what it's like to be harassed, beaten, abused, fired, discharged, or killed because of their sexuality.

5. xxAngelOnFirexx

I went to a pride rally in Lansing a few weeks ago and it was so awesome! It was great to see all of the pride there is in MI! the drag queens and gay men dressed in tight black clothes with chokers were very intriguing to see. I bought a rainbow flag and joined in with teh crowd. check out my profile to see me with my pride outfit on! http://emptyclosets.com/forum/album.php?albumid=38&pictureid=4869 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

The phrase "lesbians and homosexuals" really annoys me - so sexist. Even "gays and lesbians" is a bit gratuitous, since lesbians *are* gays (just a special kind :grin:)... but never mind.

I feel proud of the straight man who said "It is a rights sort of issue, I think that everyone should be able to throw a parade." Go you, Mr. Goldbeck!

7. Cheese Love

I love this comment so much:

"I took my children to the parade. Today we went to Mass. I gave thanks to God that we live in a country where people are free to express themselves. I also promised God to continue to follow His teaching that we must love our neighbours, treat them as we would like to be treated, and to "judge not", and thanked Him for giving me the grace to lovingly watch my gay brothers and sisters express joy and comfort with who they are. I feel very close to God this morning. By the way, lust is not bad and is very meaningful in the context of a committed, loving relationship, and there are lots of committed and loving relationships in the gay community. I think you should think hard about what being a faithful Christian really means. "

8. Wow that person is amazing. They have the right idea about what a true, faithful Christian is.

9. Leigh

Leigh Guest

that quote ^^ is really beautiful.

i love pride too. i tried to take my little sister to the last one but she got sick so missed like the entire thing :frowning2:

10. Amy

Amy

exactly *hug for all*

christianity is about love.

*from what i have heard* pride parades are amazing. some of my frinds went to the one in sf this year. apparently, there where fans that said "gimie, gimie, gimie man after midnight" :grin:

11. will4rmTX

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh how I miss pride day at my old school it wasn't an official pride day at our school would make our own little parade during lunch, it was about 30 of us and we would walk through the cafeteria and the courtyard and then through the hallways, and some teachers even joined us!

12. SlickyPants

While there will always be pictures of outlandish costumes in Pride parade news articles it is very refreshing to see that the first picture is of a family enjoying the parade.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the costumes and the colours but I think it is great that people will see that it is also a place where anybody can go and bring their families and enjoy themselves.

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The picture that actually accompanied the article in the newspaper was different and... interesting

14. grapevine fires

Actually, as put by one of my gay friends, we already have one. It's called Mardi Gras.