1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you consider yourself the odd ball of your family?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you consider yourself a bit of an odd ball in your family? Are you totally different to the rest of them.

Do you think your sexuality has much or a lot to do with this? What other reasons do you think make you an odd ball?

I know I am in my family. Apart from being the only one who falls in the LGBTQA spectrum, my way of thinking, mannerisms and behaviour is so much different to the rest of them. The rest of my family are pretty much average Joe's.

How about you?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. AlamoCity

I'm not be the oddball, unfortunately. The oddballs are my first-cousins who got married and had four kids together :lol:.

Although in the way, I am an oddball because I am generally considered to be one of the most intelligent people in my family. I am to go-to guy for any issues that involve academic or intellectual matters. In that sense, I'm an oddball :lol:.

3. fruity

fruity Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    unless there are more closet dwellers that I'm unaware of, I believe I'm the odd ball. I grew up with quite a few mental "hindrances/lapses" so to speak, and I guess that made me stick out amongst the immediate family. I grew out of that phase, but now I got a whole new slew of stuff that designates me as quite different.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I'm generally considered normal, though I'm very like my eccentric matriarchal great aunt.

5. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely.

I've never fit in with the rest of my family. They're loud and obnoxious. They prefer having outside stimulus to keep themselves occupied (TV on 24/7 to some reality show network; calling/texting someone all the time; talking endlessly about trivial stuff that doesn't matter, etc).

Me, I'm quiet. I can entertain myself just fine with my thoughts. I'm artistic and have a deep love and appreciation of nature and the universe. I'm the only one in my family interested in science and mathematics. I never watch TV aside from wrestling (guilty pleasure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) and I really don't have a need to talk with people often - I'm rarely lonely. I have my cats.

There's a lot that contributes to it. I have a pretty traumatic past and it changed me forever but even before that I was the weird one. I'm not sure if my sexuality has anything to do with it. Maybe? Maybe my avoidance of people, because I didn't know where I belonged? I'm not sure.

6. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

My parents expected my brother to be straight and me to be gay, I have no idea why. We're both oddballs I guess.

7. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can be a odd ball out. I think with certain family members I can't be myself around so I guess in a way makes me odd.

Ummm.... I seem to be the one who has gone against everything that was expected of me lol. Part of my outside family assumed I would be into drugs and alcohol; along with in jail. Overall, people need to get over the label that someone who lives in a bad home becomes a bad person. I am the first one to graduate college, go towards my future career which is funny since its in the criminal justice system. I also have a stable job. I don't drink, or do drugs; don't even smoke. My extended family doesn't know I like girls simply because they believe the whole gays go to hell-funny when they find out they are talking about me too. I think they assume I will find the right guy and have children-it will be funny to see their reaction when its a girl haha. With my personality I am very sarcastic, like to play pranks, be friends with whomever allows me into their lives. Overall, I think there are different definitions of what being the odd ball entails.
    Today my mother came up to me (she is an amazing woman) and told me how someone told her that I was awesome in pursuing and following everything I have ever wanted. I have done everything I have said I will do. I think this is what makes me feel like the odd one out because I am just doing what I want. I don't expect the oh my gah's. I think my whole time I have been wanting to prove the people from the past wrong which has given me the drive to keep pursuing things that others never thought I could do. I like challenges and that's that, but I don't want to be placed on a pedestal. Overall, I just want to help my close family when I do get a great career and make my mother, step father and sister realize, they helped me become who I am.

This is what I have found to be odd about me. Simply being something others expected me not to be.

8. CharlieChalk

I'm completely different! We often joke that I'm adopted :lol:
    I have a different music taste. I'm quite introverted whereas they are all extroverted. I don't have any friends whereas they have all the friends in the world. They all have a sense of humour whereas I'm a dork and only I find myself funny etc etc.

I'm definitely the oddball xD Haha.

9. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I always was... yeah... But recently, I was informed that I am now the "#1 person in the family." I feel a bit like the Godfather and also slightly terrified...

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I am seen that way, but there are lots of things besides my sexual orientation that set me apart. My interests, hobbies, social and personal habits are different and most of my relatives cannot relate. I'm aware that I speak differently to them too.

I put a lot of it down to my education and the influence of teachers while I was at school. They broadened my horizons and I'll be forever grateful to them for that.

11. animequeen567

Yeah, I'm the oddball. I'm quiet, accepting, and kind. My mom thinks I'm a freak, she won't say it, but I know she thinks it. I'm the "kid" that doesn't think about my actions, I don't care if my clothes match, I don't care if I wear sweatpants in public, I don't do what my dad tells me, I complain about my dad. My dad thinks everything I do is wrong, he constantly called me a dyke even though I never was out to them, he called me everything in the book, and I was the dumb one in the family according to him. I did weird things that they all didn't understand. I kept liking things that they thought were childish even in my adult age. My family all-around thinks I'm a freak. So yeah, I'm the oddball :dry:

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell no. We're all oddballs - no one is above any other with this.

13. Lorn

My entire family is odd. With the exception of my sister, we're all strongly introverted and/or neurotic. My brother makes Lego replicas of things like warships and restaurants. However, I'm the only one I know who's out of the ordinary in this particular way...

My granduncle was gay, but it was something he struggled with his entire life. Can't say he ever really had a happy ending.

14. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family is kinda weird because it is almost split down the middle when it comes to attitude half of my family is pretty laid back and lets things sorta happen. The other half has the kind of love that hits you like a bulldozer and come off as overbearing. My mom, sister, and both my aunts are like this. I take after my dad, grandpa, and uncle as one of the more laid back people. So any attitude I would have had would have been normal.

The thing that everyone except my dad shares is we are some of the most sarcastic wise asses you will ever meet. The really messed up thing about my family is that if we don't like you we will act like you are invisible but if we like you we will show it by screwing with you every chance we get. It takes people forever to get used to us as a group but we always have a blast when we get together.

As far as LGBT I have a aunt who is trans and a cousin that I know is bi (she doesn't know I know).

So yea as screwed up as my family is, I definitely fit right in.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Few humans that I've met are less interested in social norms than myself. None of those few are related to me

my sexuality may be a factor

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Incredibly, my brother gives me a run for my money in this regard. (He is one odd duck.) Then again, I'm not at all out to my family. Were I to come all the way out with all of my, shall we say, idiosyncrasies, no question I'd make my brother look like Pollyanna in their minds. (Actually, my brother is already kind of a Pollyanna in certain respects. :lol:slight_smile:

17. Hexagon

Yeah. Apart from my queerness, I'm an atheist, on the radical left, and I'm into philosophy.

18. Nope. I'm relatively normal, despite my appearance.

19. Emulator

I'm the evenball :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yes, there are some differences. I'm transgender, asexual, play music, have a forum account...and the list goes on.

20. anonym

anonym Guest

Yep that's me. I can't work out though whether it's me that's not normal or my family! But since I'm not like the others, I'm guessing it's me.