1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullying: Teachers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Like many people, I was bullied a lot in elementary school. For bullying, we were taught to tell the teacher. That seriously didn't work. I told the teachers when I was bullied in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade and they did absolutely nothing. They shrugged it off by saying that I was too sensitive. Then for some reason, my bullies always found out that I'd told.

What do you guys think? Do teachers help at all?

2. ZenMusic

No they don't. Telling the victim that "I'll deal with it the next time" is dumb because it will be too late by then. My best friend was bullied for supposedly "bullying year 7's." (11-12 y/o) And they got told off 3 times and it still continued.

3. Caillin

Some do some don't I guess it depends on the location maybe.One time which this is pretty f*up these kids were basically kicking puddles or I don't know how I wasn't there but splashing this kid with water from the rain puddles and the teacher gave them all detention including the kid that was being splashed..

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It makes me sick to hear that your teachers told you that you were being too sensitive and did not do anything the people that were bullying you. Bullying is an issue nationwide, nay worldwide, that seriously needs to be dealth with in a sophisticated manner.

Teachers SHOULD help as it's an issue that needs to be erradicated in schools. But sadly, I think now in days there is a "scale" that determines how bullying is handled i.e not as serious is handled in a less serious manner whereas verbal and physical bullying is handled in a more serious manner.

5. Nikky DoUrden

I agree they not much of help ... the only thing I can suggest is to "play smart" but I know its not always up to you ...
    Maybe if teachers WOULD do something I wouldn't come out as messed up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Jwis

Nope telling the teachers did nothing. They didn't tell me I was being to sensitive, they honestly just didn't seem to care. It got to the point where I saw no need to tell them because the only thing that came out of it was potentially making the bullying worse.

7. Kat 5

I have noticed that going to the headmaster or higher authorities in the school usually gets results quickly.

8. CosmicNautilus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it depends largely on the teacher :S I think any half-decent teacher that takes their job seriously should care (but I reckon those can be seriously hard to come by - something that needs to be sorted out). I've seen teachers ignore bullying happening under their noses! I was even bullied for about two years by my own teacher once - the worst thing about that is that people tend to be a bit disbelieving, 'cause they're a teacher and all :S But I think it depends on the reputation of the school too - I've noticed more reputable schools tend to deal better with bullying.

9. Cass

When I'm a teacher I am having a zero tolerance policy. If I hear about it or see it there will be immediate action taken

10. Hiems

My high school allowed students to fill out a form to file a claim against the bully, be it due to race, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, etc. The school district will deal with the situation accordingly.

I never resorted to this method because I was never bullied in high school. However, I can see how this method could work for students who have tried approaching teachers that didn't help at all.

11. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In 1st grade, I was beaten up by about 6 girls wielding sticks while my teacher watched. I was also teased mercilessly by the kids there because my sister let it slip that I wet the bed when I had seizures. No one did anything.

3rd grade soccer, I was teased and pushed specifically because I didn't like boys.

4th grade, I was cursed on the playground, teased in choir and pushed into wet paint by the girls in my class.

6th grade, I was stoned by my other 5 classmates.

I home schooled after 7th grade and was too afraid to go to school. After 1st grade, I never involved the school. I just dealt with it. While bullying is awful and definitely takes its toll, I really wish parents would help their kids stand up to it. I felt my only option was to hide.

12. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some teachers are absolutely wonderful when it comes to handling these situations (I can name a few in my high school), and then others just don't know how to deal with it. Then there's the third group, the ones that end up starting the bullying in the first place. I have experience with the third group.

When I was in the 1st grade, I had a little brown coat with flowers embroidered on the side. I loved it, and wore it almost everyday. One recess, I flew off the uneven bars, and landed on my back on the ground. Everything hurt, and I couldn't move for a minute or two. A teacher and a group of girls surrounded me, and I thought they were going to help me. But then the teacher looked at me, laughed, and said "Oh, girls, we can't help her, she's not wearing any pink!" It wasn't until that second that I realized they were all wearing puffy pink coats. They all laughed at me, while I laid on the ground and cried. I don't remember what happened after that; I think one of the girls ended up pitying me enough to help me up and walked with me as I limped to the office. I realize it's not half as traumatic as anything others have experienced, but this moment really left a lot of scars for me.

13. Munyal

I have a sort of reverse experience to this.

My 7th grade social studies teacher was stellar. She taught with excitement and love of her job, and watching her teach was like seeing a part of her that wasn't always on the outside. The unfortunate truth is that while teaching, my teacher was vulnerable. Students picked on her mercilessly, and treated her like crap. I don't know how she stood it. I have always wanted to go back and apologize to her because I was one of the people who taunted her. Now that I look back on it I feel really bad.

I actually don't have any stories where I was bullied and a teacher did nothing. Then again, I have some pretty snappy comebacks that I use on people who try to bully me, and they sound just ignorant enough to make me an unworthy target of bullying. So I guess I've always been able to handle myself.

14. Emulator

Sometimes it was the teachers who bullied us.

15. Wobbly

I've been quite lucky with this I think. When I started high school a couple years ago there's two guys decided to 'bully' a friend and myself for a while. Luckily a year 11 was seeing my co-ordinator at the same time I was and turns out she saw a bit of what was happening. So ~2 hours later forms were filled out and they both were given a couple afterschool and Saturday detentions.

Even though nothing has happened since then my co-ordinator usually asks if things like that are happening again to me, so I do have faith that if I tell a teacher about a bullying issue, it will be swiftly doubt with.

16. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had good teachers at school but that was years ago

17. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It depends on the teacher really. Some are completely apathetic. Most are, actually, in my experience. I wasn't really bullied very much at all but telling the teachers anything never seemed to help. But I'm sure it depends on the person.

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, I know what you mean. When I was in sixth grade, me and a friend were being bullied, and telling a teacher did nothing. Eventually I managed to contact the superintendent, who talked to the bully, and the bullying ended pretty quickly after that.

19. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jeez... Now you're making me feel bad about my profession.

20. DMark69

If a teacher, or administrator knows of a bullying problem, and does nothing, they are part of the problem, and should be Fired.

That said the advise I would give to anyone being bullied is to stand up to the bully. Even if you get into a fight and loose they will think twice before bothering you again and will find a softer target. Again if teachers or administrators have a problem with this and punish the victim who stood up, they are part of the problem and should be FIRED!