1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think you would be as open to LGBT ppl as you are, if you were straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MDNA, Apr 19, 2014.

1. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sayin you would hate LGBT ppl or something, but would you care about LGBT ppl as much? Or you would be indifferent? Or sadly, be a bully?

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kind of an impossible question to answer, since barring my getting the chance to view an alternative reality, I'll never be straight nor know what it would feel like to be raised without that component.

3. IsThisAName

Yes. I know I would, because I thought I was straight up until 5 months ago, and I was still crazy about gay rights.

4. Nikky DoUrden

Well I think I accept people as a general rule unless they do bad things, so based on THAT I think I wouldn't mind.

5. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was late in understanding that I was bi. Probably more open. I allways accepted gays

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't be a bully, but I wouldn't be as understanding. Most (cis) straight people are shallow allies. They don't fully understand, and they still hold up heterosexuality as better in subtle ways. I've met probably one straight person who fully understands.

But, as Browncoat said, it's a hypothetical situation that really can't be answered accurately.

7. AlamoCity

I agree.

Personally, my conservative background would probably have made me either apathetic or slightly hostile towards the LGBT community. In this hypothetical, I would hope that I would grow to be understanding.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Dunno. Hard to know for sure. I'd be inclined to think no. Assuming I'd be a cis straight guy, never heard loads of talk about LGBT issues growing up. Wasn't that family/area was homophobic but didn't know anyone who was and no one brought it up. Didn't have the same level of awareness that I'm sure kids now have growing up.

I'd hope I wouldn't be an asshole but I doubt I'd really care or know about LGBT issues (especially trans) to the same extent I do now.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would still be supportive as my political beliefs are from the left. Maybe not so interested though.

10. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woah. I strongly disagree with this. All of my friends in real life are cisgendered, straight, and religious; they all love and support me. :tantrum:

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

I am straight but if I were a cisgendered man, I think that I would be just as adamant about equality as I am now (because of my spiritual and political beliefs). It would have to be brought to my attention, though.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Up until maybe a year ago I never even thought much about it let alone that I was a post of it.

I was always tolerant of the LGBT community before but have only really appreciated the struggle myself recently. My attitude and vocabulary has changed a lot since coming to terms with myself.

12. Hiems

If my whole life was the same, sans being gay, then I would likely be open to the LGBT community. Being bulled is something that I could relate to at some level. Also I was raised Catholic, but the sermons never discussed homophobic messages. Instead, they always contained positive messages, e.g. loving others, doing good deeds, etc. So I would probably be accepting but obviously not as much as now.

13. Oddish

Oddish Guest

As mentioned, it's a hypothetical that can't be answered accurately, but considering my own disposition, I imagine if I had been born cisgender and straight, I would still be very accepting of the LGBT community. Likely not to the same extent, or being as aware of issues pertaining to and within the community, as I probably wouldn't be as interested or concerned.

14. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to think so. I mean, if I am honest, I may not have the same level of attention to the issues for LGBT if I wasn't in that group, as I'd undoubtedly have other issues in my life on which I'd be focussing my attention, but I would still be supportive of the LGBT cause and would always be accepting and kind to any LGBT person I met.

Of course being bi, the concerns of our group do concern me and occupy my thoughts from time to time.

Happy days :slight_smile:

15. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

To be honest, I don't think I would be as opened minded.. being in the closet has restrained me from making so many errors in life, its helped me observe.. but also its one of the main factors for my anxiety.

16. Querying

Honestly I was more supportive before I realized I was gay. Now while I obviously still support my own rights, I'm rather less vocal about it.

17. Oxelotl

I think I would be, based on the fact that before I was "gay" (or accepted myself as so) I still supported gay rights and gay couples. But in saying that I'm guessing I wouldn't have been as accepting as I am now (Naturally because I am gay).

18. Abbra

I imagine I would be kind of an ignorant ally. I would have no problem with LGBT members, and I would openly embrace them. However, I would probably still always want to take my gay bestie to the mall. I certainly wouldn't be mean, but my lack of exposure to LGBT members would alter my actions around them.

19. partmin12345678

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My family is fairly liberal so really, I think I would have turned out the same. But given that I live in the south, it is hard to find people that aren't tea-partyists

20. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Before I really knew anything about myself, I thought of myself as a straight male and was very much open to LGBT things. Always lived by "As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, do what makes you happy." :slight_smile: