1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, My grandparents are here...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by musicgirl18, Apr 19, 2014.

1. musicgirl18

...And I am terrified. Both my grandma and my grandpa are majorly against LGBT rights, and they will spend every moment they had if they could, talking about how gay people are going to ruin this country, and how we don't like in an Christian country anymore. They're real followers of Bill O'Riley. My grandpa's actually a pretty big leader in the Christian church, he's been a pastor for the last thirty or so years and now he's the president of a Christian College. Even right now he's talking about some church membership thing where the people have to be sworn in and they have to follow all these rules, and like, LGBT people aren't allowed in, only "Bible based Christian marriages" allowed. It's actually kind of scaring me because I am terrified that somehow they'll find out that I'm gay. I really shouldn't be that worried since they're leaving on Monday, but it is that irrational part of my brain. Like, I am actually considering wearing a skirt just to distract them. :frowning2:
    :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help: :tears::tears:

2. AmiBee

Sweetie, so sorry you have to deal with that. It's probably just best to bite your tongue and survive until Monday. You can do it!

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want to show this to anybody saying that "bible based marriages" should be the only valid marriages.

[YOUTUBE]OFkeKKszXTw[/YOUTUBE]

4. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thankfully it's only for the weekend. It'll be over before you know it. I guess it would just be best to try and keep to yourself and bear with your grandparents views rather than arguing with them.

5. Ignorance

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm so sorry!
    Maybe you could make up an excuse about having to go to a friend's house, and spend as much time as possible outside your home?

6. IsThisAName

Sworn into a church? Geez, that sounds more like a cult.

I know how you feel. My grandma talks all the time about how being gay is "against God's law" and it hurts cause I love her but I know she wouldn't understand, so I'll just never tell her. Same goes for all my grandparents. None of them would understand because they're extremely religious. I assure you it will be okay. You don't have to wear a skirt to distract them. Straight people wear jeans and t shirts etc all the time. They won't notice. It'll be okay. If you need to rant, I'm just a wall post away :slight_smile:

7. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It won't last too long. Just try to avoid them as much as you can (so that you don't accidentally let something slip if they get too vocal about being anti-LGBT) and try to keep calm. It's just a couple of days. Good luck :slight_smile:

8. Trentacles

is most of indiana like this? i looked it up on google maps and it looks like its in the northeast US which i had heard was pretty accepting. i would just avoid the topic with them though.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    as far as i can see, you just have to get through. i do wonder though if people realize that the God of love, the Father never condemned us as LGBT "love each other as I have loved you". the other thought i have when i read/hear as you have written is do these people realize that they have made God in their own image when He hates everything/everyone that they do.

be strong, this will pass.

10. musicgirl18

Thank you all so much for your support. I really really appreciated it. I definitely had to bite my tongue and remind myself that I'll be moving out in just a year but I got through it. :slight_smile: These times just really stress me out. :frowning2:

@AmiBee,mobrien1993,looking for me,Opheliac, you're right, I just had to get through it and be patient for Monday. I did tend to stay in my room quite a bit too. :slight_smile:

@BryanM, that's a really funny video! Thanks for sharing it. :grin:

@WinterSwimmer, ehh, it depends on where you live. Some areas in Indiana are pretty open, but some areas, like where I live, are very, very conservative. Like, a church building on every street corner type of conservative. :slight_smile:

Anyway, like I said, thank you all so much for being awesome and everything. :grin: I really appreciated it. I'm so glad we have this website.