1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your opinion on HOCD?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 19, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you don't know what that is, it's basically being scared that you have a different sexual orientation.

2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They (HOCD people) need a therapist. And a psychiatrist. And help in general.

3. thrnvlpidj

I believe HOCD is not considered a diagnosable condition.

Being scared that you have a different sexual orientation is not HOCD.

Are you afraid that you have a different sexual orientation?

Do you have any obsessions or compulsions?

4. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know HOCD is not a diagnosis. It's just a term that use to classify people. Being obsessed with the possibility of being gay is a very common OCD obsession. Since most people with that obsession have the same experience they call it HOCD.

Kind of like people who are scared of spiders. When I read descriptions of HOCD it was like reading my own experiences. I don't have that many compulsions, but I do have very intense obsessions. I am mainly gay, but I get scared that I'm bi or even straight.
    I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, but OCD was mentioned in one of my report cards.

5. Hexagon

Yes, people with OCD can sometimes suffer from obsessions about being a differend sexuality. No, this is not available as a denial tool in those without other symptoms of OCD. If it interferes with a person's life too badly, then therapy or drug treatment may be helpful.

I don't think it's really a good idea to go around forming opinions like this. OCD is a real, diagnosable condition that is understood by psychologists, and most of us aren't qualified to run around deciding what is and isn't as though we were trying to decide how much we like cake.