1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians: Opinion on the word 'dyke'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Querying, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Querying

It's sort of a hard one to classify, because it's a word we all know, but often refrain from using. Are you insulted by it? Do you appreciate it when you are called a dyke? Do you self-identify as one?

I'm curious to see what other people's opinions are before I post my own.

2. free1223

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm bi, no one ever called me that. But I wouldn't want someone to call me that. I find it mean.

3. w1e2e9s5a9L6ou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been called dyke many times before and I haven't grown fond of the word. Most of the time when it was used it was used as a direct insult to say my sexuality was disgusting, and from people who have no respect for me. I find the word overly insulting.
    I don't think it was intended to be when it started, but evolved to being one that people associate with negative feelings toward lesbians, mostly androgynous/butch lesbians I find.

4. IsThisAName

I don't like it. I don't mind when other lesbians use it jokingly (look up the term "baby dyke," it's quite hilarious), but I would never use it. I was called a dyke repeatedly through middle school and high school, and that was years before I realized I was gay. I find it derogatory but like I said, if other lesbians are comfortable with it, I'm not judging. If someone called me one though, I'd want to punch them in the face.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm indifferent

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The first thing I think of when I hear/read the word dyke is this particular kind of rock formation :/

Nobody really uses the word where I live though. I guess it depends on the intent behind it, more than the word itself.

7. I don't like it. I think it's an ugly word, and I'd feel very insulted if someone were to call me a dyke.

8. BelleFromHell

HATE it. Whenever I see another lesbian use the word dyke, I want to slap her in the face.

Seriously, would it be OK if gay men called each other faggots?! Of course not! So why is it OK for lesbians to call each other dykes?!

This is just another reason why we are the laughing stock of the LGBT community.

I think it's offensive to butch lesbians, especially.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke_(slang)

9. Abbra

I don't like it because people don't take it seriously as a slur. This could just be in my area, but people throw the word dyke around really willy-nilly and see nothing wrong with it. If someone were to use fag in the same way that people said dyke, they would get labeled as homophobic assholes. But for some reason to them, dyke is just another word. Even a lot of allies that I know use terms like "dyke spikes" right in front of me.

10. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not the worst word ever. If rather be called a dyke than a carpet muncher.

11. Ebro1122

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like the word dyke. Its a bold, no-nonsense kind of word. I call myself a dyke because I'm unappolagetic about who I am and what I like. It makes me feel strong. I think lesbians should reclaim it. Please don't slap me BelleFromHell :frowning2:.

12. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As a fellow minority - though of a different kind - I suggest you to use this word among yourselves but punch people (if you're a more boyish lesbian) or slap them (if you're girly) if, say, I use it.

DYYYYKE! *gets slapped and punched in the face*

13. Katbot

I've seen a bunch of people self identify as a dyke, but if someone called me a dyke I'd feel at best a tiny bit uncomfortable (if it was another queer person calling me it), but I could laugh it off easily and at worst I'd actually stop them and explain to them that its a slur and that if they ever use the word ever again in my presence then I will not hesitate to damage them (more likely to happen with a hetero person though).

I'm fine with it being used (in a non-derogatory way), so long as it's not directed at me.

14. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I have never used that word, either to refer to myself or anyone else. I have heard it used as an insult, especially from straight guys while growing up way to often to do that.

15. valerie247

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm fine with it if someone self-identifies that way, and I'll use it with them in that context, but I would never presume that someone was comfortable with it if they didn't first use it themselves. I think that makes the difference between someone owning that word and reclaiming it. When they use it, they are empowering themselves. If they don't use it for themselves, it's a slur.

As for myself: I think I would be hurt if a straight friend called me that, but not if a gay friend did.

16. PurpleGrey

I've never really been called any slurs in a deliberately offensive way, so I can't really say for sure. What I do know is that if someone pisses me off, I can turn into a real bitch.

Weird thing is, I feel kinda weird about not getting picked on in any way for being gay. Then again, it could just be that I have nothing to do and nowhere to go all day.

17. Joelouis

I personally don't like it to be said as it's always used in an offensive way.
    If I had a lesbian friend and someone called her a Dyke, I'd be the first to stick up for her.

#17 Joelouis, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  18. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't heard too many people use it. However I am offended by it. The only way I've ever heard it used is when it's being used as an insult, so it's not a word that I like to hear.

19. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I grew up in the South, not the most homosexual-friendly place. I have never heard the word used in a non-derogatory manner. (Only exception is that Bechdel comic "Dykes to Watch Out For" which seems to be one of those "reclaiming" attempts.)

20. tryhtwfr

I don't particularly agree as the only word I feel comfortable in using to come out or to describe my sexuality is 'faggot'. The word itself makes me feel superior as it accentuates that I'm comfortable with my sexuality in the sense that I'm able to use a word which has a history of being used in a negative way. Furthermore, me and my boyfriend frequently use it when we are just teasing each other like "you're such a fag/faggot".

Just my opinion