1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a lesbian character for a novel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Milonov, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello guys and ladies (especially ladies, but guys can help too I guess).

My nickname is Milonov (named after my home city's crazy, homophobic and kinda homosexual politician) and I come from Russia. Which is, by the way, not the homophobic Nazi hellhole the Western media portrays. In fact, my sister and I have several openly LGBT acquiantances.

I am currently writing a series of short fantasy stories with a group of my friends from all over the world, which I will not name because that yellow thing on top of me threatens to ban me if I do (BTW can you change its colours? It looks kinda gay).

AND one of the main characters from this series happens to be lesbian.

I originally planned that quality of hers to be used purely for fanservice (hey, lesbians are adorable and sexy), but then I decided I am better than that and decided to make her homosexuality into an actual important facet of her personality. That's why I came here.

You see, being fantasy, my stories are set in a vaguely Rennaissance-like world. The lesbian character in question comes from a vaguely Islamic region, based on India and the Arab Khalifate, but was inducted into the Inquisition (which in our setting also serves as the equivalent of the SS, except with non-humans such as elves instead of Jews and Slavs - our humans are essentially Nazis) and has spent most of her life living in a city similar to Rennaissance Italy. She also met her girlfriend there.

(And before you start stoning me, she is not a villain - she's an anti-hero and will redeem herself at one point)

What I want is to know how a lesbian person would realise her love and come out in such a heteronormative society realistically. Can you guys and girls help me?

tl;dr: Wanna make a realistic lesbian character in a fantasy heteronormative society, help

#1 Milonov, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, stop with the whole reasoning you've had for having a lesbian character. Have her (and more than one LGBT+ person if it's a large cast, please), exist because we exist. Not for tokenism, not for fan service. That is the most important part of creating a realistic queer character. And no, lesbians aren't universally adorable and sexy, so get that out of your head right away before writing her. She may be sexy and adorable, but not because of her sexuality.

And second, I'm rather distrustful of an analogy to Jews and Slavs that uses the imagery of non-humanness (a pretty common tactic used against Jews and Slavs), so please be very careful around that, and preferably make the non-human analogies have cultures mirroring the ones you're trying to reflect (or even better, make them actually human instead of implicitly going along with anti-Jewish and anti-Slav behaviours).

Good luck. The most important part of writing LGBT characters is that you need to think of them as any cis-het character. With realistic backstories, motives, and an incidental sexuality, not the defining part. She shouldn't be your stock lesbian character, and you mustn't think of her like that if you want to be realistic. And without the plot, we can't really help; our entire lives are living in a heteronormative society; we can't give you a quick answer without her situation being presented first.

3. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Damn, you guys are harsh.

1) She started as that, yes. But then I decided I am better than that and made her into a complex character in her own right. She isn't a token lesbian (she is basically a subversion of the "token minority" character because she is female, LGBT, and a person of colour - and has the personality of a bigot), really - her defining trait is her racism against nonhumans and how she copes with it (she genuinely believes that she has to be racist in order to stay true to her people).
    2) *ahem* I am a person of colour living in a Slavic country, and the Nazi-ish human nation is actually quite diverse ethnically.

4. Agaetis Byrjun

I'd suggest reading some social history of women's lives in Islamic societies, for example the late Ottoman harem, as well as the history of sexuality in and outside the West. Because this is the thing of it: historically, there hasn't been a concept of the heterosexual personality as normal and any deviation a sign of psychological aberration or difference. It's true that heterosexual structures have been the basis for most social relations, but there wasn't an assumption that this was the only way and the only drive that people could have. Male same-sex activity is well documented from the ancient Greeks well into the nineteenth century, and in some parts of the world it was only through Western influence that this activity started to be seen as shameful and backwards. Before that, men could be described in terms of to what extent they enjoyed relationships with women or young men, but it was a description of their behavior, not their psyche. Likewise, when certain sex acts have been considered immoral historically, it's the specific behavior, it has no bearing on the person's inner being. It's an act that anyone would be capable of doing. There wasn't a notion of gay because there wasn't a notion of straight.

Female same-sex relationships are not so well documented, but could have happened in the intensively sex-segregated worlds. But a lot of it is left to speculation. What my point is, in the kind of world you describe, it's unlikely that your character would have considered herself a lesbian, or even essentially different from other women—she just has this amazing, kind of unlikely relationship with another woman, she has very strong feelings for her, and feels closer to her than she possibly could towards another man. She'd be more likely to get questioned for not being married to a man than for having this relationship with a woman, although she could be married and still have this relationship. Much like the Victorian notion of romantic friendships—romance between women was seen as innocent, and a good alternative for young women to having premarital relationships with men.

Sorry if this seems too complicated or just confuses you more. But I guess her best option would be to marry a man, have a family, do the responsible thing (and this is a time when marriage has more to do with social bargaining than with love anyway) and maintain her relationship with her mistress as her lover and closest confidant, which a lot of people would see and not regard as real, anyway.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't trying to be harsh, sorry that it came out that way.

I just was trying to make sure that you were being careful around the issue; so many aren't, and analogies to Jewishness have gone horribly wrong before. But that should be all fine, I think.

But what exactly do you need help with for her sexuality? Is there a scene where she'll have to come out, or faces being treated badly for her sexuality?

6. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Mostly about how a girl in a society where homosexuality is meant to be repressed (or is even not a thing) would realise that she's in love with her partner.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmph, that'll require a bit of a build-up. Maybe if you were to start with first a meeting and an unexplicit feeling of attachment, followed by a friendship which gets closer, but she doesn't realise it. It all depends on whether you have a story line set for their circumstances or not.

8. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks, that will help a lot!

9. twizt

I don't know that she realistically would "come out" in this situation. I think it would be similar to middle and upper class white women in the U.S. (and elsewhere) in the 18th and 19th centuries. They would often spend time together, write the equivalent of love letters to one another, etc. There was definitely a close romantic relationship there for sure. On top of that for your character, if there was also a sexual element then I could see there being an arranged heterosexual marriage for her while she has this sexual & love affair with another woman.

I think an important detail for making any character complete is that no single attribute defines them. So she can't be exclusively a lesbian with no other elements to her. Although, if the focus of your story is on her lesbian relationship(s) then understandably there would be more emphasis on her sexual orientation than other aspects of her self.

10. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I can imagine her marrying someone (and probably even allowing said someone to get closer to her once - to produce an heir) for the sake of preserving her noble family, whilst keeping a relation with her actual love interest secret (not that it would not cause rumours). And yes, she has a fleshed out personality.

11. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I actually started working on the story that would tell about my heroine's youth and how she fell in love now, so I suppose I could ask for advice once again.

The basic idea is pretty much planned: a quiet unfavourite but rough girl from a large, vaguely Middle Eastern and highly religious family is recruited into a fantasy monastic martial order, gets close with another recruit, then after some time she begins to feel attracted to her strongly, causing her to become confused and probably suspect that either she or her partner is possessed or something - it's a fantasy story after all. The girl (the main char I mean) starts to avoid her crush but this only causes her (the LI) to become more worried about her (the MC), and one day, when she (MC) leaves her cell to meditate in silence, her crush comes for her and they are left pretty much alone... cue kissing (and probably sex, but I would not describe that - I would most likely get it wrong, unless someone would actually help me with that hur).

By God, the amount of feminine third-person pronouns in the text I just wrote was tremendous. Lesbian romance is fun :3

Anyway, aside from commenting on the plot (is it okay?), I need to resolve at least two problems. The first is how the main char would get through the barrier of her extreme religious conservatism in the final part of the story. The second is how her love interest would react. The problem is, I need *her* to realise her attraction to the main char as well, lest her kiss and the following... funny stuff would look like sexual abuse. She is not as internally homophobic as the main char, so she would probably have less problems with her sexuality, coming from a more liberal culture, but still...

12. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Not to be harsh but honestly if you gotta ask for that kinda help on how to write a certain character, you aren't ready to write that character.

13. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My least favorite thing about writing same-sex romances is the pronouns. Gets extremely wearing after a while.

Anyway, second question first. I can't tell you how her LI would react. That depends 100% on her character. Just because she's not the MC doesn't mean she doesn't have her own story and that will affect her actions. There are many questions (What's the situation? Does she already have feelings for the MC? Is she aware of them? Did she think the MC returned these feelings or no? Are they somewhere public? What is her basic personality? What is her romantic/sexual experience? etc...) that I don't know the answers to.

I'm not sure what you're asking with the first question. Is the MC supposed to come out about her relationship and gain acceptance by her society? Or is she just supposed to accept herself?

These are things you need to answer, not us. They're your characters and it's your story. I'm not a big believer in "write what you know" but I do believe in doing your research. Read books in the genre. Read books featuring LGBT characters. Read memoirs and non-fiction and anything that you can get your hands on.

14. wanderinggirl

Hmm, generally when speaking to an LGBT audience you don't want to use "gay" as a negative term.

2. I agree that if you need help writing a character to this extent you might not be ready to write the character. Read some posts on here; that might help you get an accurate depiction of what it's like to come out to oneself and what many of our journeys have been like, and then try writing it.

3. Above all this character has to be three-dimensional. Avoid tropes, and she'll come off as a more relatable/realistic character.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm currently writing about a lesbian character she's the main of the story , what I did with this character is I didn't focus so much on her sexuality but her as a person and what type of person she is and her personality type my character is also an anti hero like yours and can confuse the readers with is she bad or good ? , Now this character although she's someone's creation and not mine she's found my favorite anime but she is selfish , cold and sometimes just sometimes she can be sweet and caring she's confusing and hard to read I guess you can say . Her being lesbian is a small part of the story it's like just an extra if you will . Now when your making this character you must think of who she is as a person and not center who she is around her sexuality , think to yourself what does this girl like , what does she hate what type of person is she . what's her hobbies and want are her dreams . Also show stories of how she met her first love and how they found each other which I think you have it down . Basically just write about her like you would write about a heterosexual person .

16. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    ...Nevermind then.

I probably wasn't thinking straight (heh) when writing my last post. Sleep deprivation can do that to people. Makes you do... stupid things.