1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gay scene" and gay bars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Minnie, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Minnie

I can only speculate the origin of the "gay scene", which is always portrayed as very flamboyant and, from what I've seen, tends towards men. Yet, it's only partially reflective of personalities almost exclusively found in LGBT individuals. Gay bars tend to adopt this very blazee, over-the-top theme, which kinda sucks for people with very different personalities. I for one don't feel like I really fit in in these places, yet if I want to go clubbing with the chance of meeting/flirting with someone of the same sex without worrying about them possibly being straight, I've not much choice of where to go. Anyone feel the same way about the gay scene?

2. Higs

Constantly.
    If I were ever to go to a gay bar I'd like to think there's atleast one other person as uncomfortable there as me :grin:

3. Minnie

Haha! Thankfully where I live there's a toned down gay-friendly pub which is architecturally beautiful and there's no pressure to be a certain way.

4. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, so I fit the stereotypes more than some, but the stereotypes aren't what make me who I am. I think there are some LGBTQ+ people who more easily fit the stereotypes naturally, but I think some of us, me included at times, play up the stereotypes because it is fun or gives a sense of having an identity. (At least, I know I do occasionally.) So, I don't know that I think it is fair to say that you don't fit in to these places. I think it is time for LGBTQ people to understand what we keep asserting to the straight people of the world. We are a diverse crowd. Flamboyant men feel insecure about what more masculine men think about them and vice versa. I can't speak for women because I haven't got the experience or qualifications. :slight_smile: But, I think we need to redefine our own stereotypes, and not let others' ideas about what it means to be gay or straight define us.

I don't care whether your butch, femme, or neither. You fit into the LGBTQ+ community because you are LGBTQ+. There are no other requirements. I hope you find some friends that love and accept you for who you are.

5. Minnie

Tbh I don't see the need any more to fit somewhere because of my sexuality :slight_smile:

6. Motto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Minnie, good. I am glad that you don't feel that pressure. I am sure you are wonderful exactly the way you are. Together, we will redefine personality expectations that are linked to sexuality. hahaha

7. Minnie