1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you consider label-free people bi?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 22, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people in the bi community consider label-free people part of the bi community. I don't really consider them bi because my definition of bisexuality is someone who is definitely attracted to both genders.

2. BelleFromHell

Well, I guess some label-free people are bi, but I'm sure a good portion of them are just gay and in denial.

3. Techno Kid

Label-free people could be anything, even cis-het.

4. biggayguy

Label free people are probably just unsure of which label fits. There are also many people that believe that labels are not so important. The only label I'm very confident about is human-being.

5. AlamoCity

Well, my controversial opinion is that label-free people are either cis-hetero hipsters who want to sound "special," or people who are LBGT and/or open to dating someone based more on personality than gender.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

7. Munyal

I call myself gay, but only because it fits. A straight cisgender person can be label-less. I consider bisexual people to be bisexual. Labels just make things confusing for people who haven't got it all figured out yet.

8. Weekender

I always just thought label-free people were just a whole lot less concerned with categorizing themselves and more concerned with less binding ideas. Like, they don't really care about the whole OMG WHAT AM I phase and can just skip to the spreadin' the love phase. If I didn't want to spare people the grief I would just go label-less, though I'm clearly gay. Our ability to categorize things has historically been pretty important to the survival of the human race, though, so it's all good.

More on topic, I don't think label-free folks can just be lumped in with the Bi crowd. Some are pan, some are actually gay, some are asexual bi/homo/hetero-romantic, but most are just going with the flow. I don't think someone has to be in denial to call themselves "label-free." I think they're mostly just tired of having to define themselves with a word that doesn't even begin to express who they are at their core.

Personally, I really don't like putting such a heavy label on something that is, admittedly, such a very small portion of myself. Being gay isn't something that I actively use to define myself, so yes, I feel a bit silly for putting a label on it. I also happen to be allergic to penicillin, but I don't use that to define who I am.

Some people might say that our sexuality does make up a big part of who we are, because love is such a big part of who we are. But does who we love really matter so much as the fact that we love at all?

I digress. I'm feeling pretty long-winded today.

9. jargon

I consider unlabeled people part of the bi community if they consider themselves part of the bi community, and not part of it if they don't.

Yes, there are people out there who pick misleading ways of identifying. But must we really be so cynical that we have to come up with rules for rejecting peoples' identities en masse before we even know anything about them?

10. RandomMatt

It really does depend on the individual.

I have absolutely no problem categorizing myself.

11. Cass

No, they just don't have labels. they can be anything from hetero-cis, to gay, lesbian, bisexual or any other gender/sexuality, they just choose to not be labels

12. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    They could be anything. They don't want to be labelled and we should respect that.